The Amity Demolition Thread | Page 33 | Inside Universal Forums

The Amity Demolition Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt that a Christmas announcement is probable. The area can not just sit there until December without a formal announcement. I think and also hope that we get an announcement sometime sooner.

Will be interesting to see what they have up their sleeves in addition to the CityWalk Boardwalk/Decks coming next year.

Well, we know there is a ton more planned, even though we don't know what it is.

My gut tells me we'll see at least one small to midsized addition to IoA before Potter 2.0 opens.

--- Update ---

The area can not just sit there until December without a formal announcement.

It won't just sit there. Construction will be ongoing.

If we're really looking at a 2 year time frame. They really have to do the initial announcement sometime this year. Next year would be the more detailed announcement.

Will be interesting to see what they have up their sleeves in addition to the CityWalk Boardwalk/Decks coming next year.

Well for the announcement everyone has to look from the other perspective of losing business. Now granted millions will still come regardless of an expansion confirmation or not but just how much of a dent will that announcement make in overall attendance figures? If there is one thing WE HAVE ALL learned is do not underestimate Potter in any way, shape, or form. No other single expansion in the history of theme parks or attractions has performed at half the level of Potter. If you announce a the sequel to the juggernaut that is Potter, you will lose business one way or the other. People will hold off on taking that "extra day" at Universal and they will say "ehh we will just get it next time." Now while we can argue all day long on whether or not most of this would really happen, the fact is Universal believes it could harm overall numbers. The further they push back the announcement the less chance of hurting near future numbers.

I think next years plans will include the finished Citywalk project, a small attraction at IOA, and a gutted and new attraction at USF. T23D I'm looking at you and your future in Cybertron :lol: And no not the ride, something unique to US Orlando.

I think next years plans will include the finished Citywalk project, a small attraction at IOA, and a gutted and new attraction at USF. T23D I'm looking at you and your future in Cybertron :lol: And no not the ride, something unique to US Orlando.

Basically what I was expecting, though I expected T2 to TF conversion later.

Some progress has been made between Orlando and Universal regarding the new lagoon wall.

http://198.190.151.7/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=BLD2012-01473

Some excerpts:

The lake wall will not be disturbed. Only wall segments "inland wise" will be constructed.

LOMA requirement will not be required since lake configuration will not be changed with these plans

On sheet S501 the wall height is four and half (4 1/2) feet in height

1) Note 2 on sheet A201 calls for parcial demolition and construction of new wall in 2 areas. Remove crosshatch and notes. 2) Wall height on sheet S201 is 96, but in sheet S501 is 109. 3) Note 2 on sheet S201 calls for parcial demolition of wall. 4) May want to add in the resubmittal the required vertical datum elevation equation to all sheets containing vertical information.

Note: the permit inspector cannot spell "partial" correctly.

Universal submitted the updated plans yesterday. Orlando has set May 7th as its target date to have the plans reviewed by each inspector.

It seems to me that they've been fighting over the trivial amount of water this may disturb.

^ Yep, the city is looking for more details:

"The plans submitted do not contain enough information to perform plan review. Please resubmit correcting this deficiency."

And I agree with this:

"Resubmit for further review. Detailed civil drawings missing. Detailed topographic information (in NAVD) missing. Floodplain existing and proposed elevations / contours missing. Existing and proposed pond control elevations missing."

:thumbs:

If they will not announce until they are close to opening after busy season .
So if the 24 month speculation is right you will not see an announcement
until September 2013.

If they will not announce until they are close to opening after busy season .
So if the 24 month speculation is right you will not see an announcement
until September 2013.

I don't know what to think. By then, vertical construction will be very obvious. I'm trying to remember when the Hogsmeade facade started going up. (eta: went through the first WWoHP thread. Looks like things started materializing in September 2009)

Last edited:
Hogsmeade started going vertical in late March 2009 and Facade elements were going up in August if I am not mistaken.

Well you could take it as far back as January 2009, if a person had a good eye for detail. They had some theming in place around the bridge to JP. You need to really know the films though.

There was a huge crane on site for WW 1 back in April 2008, and much of the pad for Hogwarts had been laid and vert construction had begun. Pads should begin to be laid in old amity by June/July. Not sure what all this 2009 talk is all about.

There was a huge crane on site for WW 1 back in April 2008, and much of the pad for Hogwarts had been laid and vert construction had begun. Pads should begin to be laid in old amity by June/July. Not sure what all this 2009 talk is all about.

I only remember the first parts of Hogsmeade going vertical in March of 09. Any time before that they were still in demo for the Enchanted Oak right???

I only remember the first parts of Hogsmeade going vertical in March of 09. Any time before that they were still in demo for the Enchanted Oak right???

Perhaps... but the discussion here was WW/vert construction. Steel went vertical on Hogwarts in Jan/Feb 08 after laying concrete in 07. The Hogsmeade entrance arch went vertical very early in the game as well... remember it just sat there all red and silver steel for the LONGEST time. I feel confident it was framed up in mid/late 08.

Looking back at some photos from the construction process, here's a brief, rough timeline w/included photos:

- January '07 - Rumors begin
- May 31st 2007 - "Universal announces the 20-acre (8.1 ha) addition re-creating Hogwarts, the Forbidden Forest and Hogsmeade, with a planned opening in 2009."
- Late January '08: Clearing of the ground begins
- April '08: Crane on site
- Mid April '08: FJ Construction goes vertical
- Late April '08: FJ Construction becomes visible from behind the Discovery Center
- Late April '08: Bridge from LC to JP is built
- July '08: Flying Unicorn and Enchanted Oak close
- July '08: Bridge from LC to JP opens
- September '08: Dueling Dragons entrance is moved
- October '08: Old Dueling Dragons entrance is destroyed
- September '09: "An announcement was made as to what exactly was going to be included in the Wizarding World"

There's a full photo timeline of the construction here: http://orlandorocks.com/info.aspx?l...&Attraction=harrypotter&sub=Construction&pg=1

Perhaps... but the discussion here was WW/vert construction. Steel went vertical on Hogwarts in Jan/Feb 08 after laying concrete in 07. The Hogsmeade entrance arch went vertical very early in the game as well... remember it just sat there all red and silver steel for the LONGEST time. I feel confident it was framed up in mid/late 08.

Ohh ok I thought he was specifically asking when Hogsmeade went vertical not the project in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.