The Bourne Stuntacular - Reviews, Photos, & Videos | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

The Bourne Stuntacular - Reviews, Photos, & Videos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Seems to be getting nothing but good reviews in the UOAP group. Which is good since they all said it was going to be awful when it was announced.

• Haha
Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Seems to be getting nothing but good reviews in the UOAP group. Which is good since they all said it was going to be awful when it was announced.

Out of the 50 or so reviews that I’ve read, I think the worst one said that it was good.

Hagrids, this and the JP coaster is going to be an epic combo.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Out of the 50 or so reviews that I’ve read, I think the worst one said that it was good.

Hagrids, this and the JP coaster is going to be an epic combo.
It's a whiz-bang action show. There will be, without a doubt, people complaining that it is another screen attraction. And it is. But the use of the screen is so unique and just plain cool, that I think it will be limited to deep dive discussion boards like this one.

That said, I think it solidifies that USF is the projection technology aka Skreenz! park. That's ok. USF is the "OMG! Skreenz!" Park. IOA is the "OMG! That Track is Naked!" Park. And Epic will be the "OMG! I Can't Believe I Have To Go Back To The Hub To Get Anywhere!" Park.

Last edited:
It's a whiz-bang action show. There will be, without a doubt, people complaining that it is another screen attraction. And it is. But the use of the screen is so unique and just plain cool, that I think it will be limited to deep dive discussion boards like this one.

That said, I think it solidifies that USF is the projection technology aka Skreenz! park. That's ok. USF is the "OMG! Skreenz!" Park. IOA is the "OMG! That Track is Naked!" Park. And Epic will be the "OMG! I Can't Believe I Have To Go Back To The Hub To Get Anywhere!" Park.

Comedy aside, I don't theoretically mind or object to Bourne's use of screens because 1) it does not require the use of 3D glasses, 2) they are being used in a fundamentally cutting edge way not seen elsewhere in the park, and 3) they are being used to enhance other more prominent elements (in this case, live stunts & physical set pieces) versus forming the bulk of the experience. People don't tend to harp on Revenge of the Mummy for involving screen content since it's only one element of a larger experience.

Hope everything's OK following the reported accident.

I haven’t seen any talk of the stunts. Do the live actors do amazing things... does it cause awe?

The choreography with the sets/screens is the most impressive part. There are a couple of high falls and some aerial work, but as far as actual fighting - it's fine. Now, I saw the official 2nd show (and 1st show of the day) so that opinion may change after a few more viewings.

Last edited:
I heard that there was a helicopter prop seen backstage in an aerial view during construction, but I do not see it in the video of the show. Did I miss it or does the show not have one?

We thought it was great. The blending of the set pieces moving with the screen/video is really impressive. We also thought the car scene worked really well. I would agree with others that Hagrid, Bourne and Jurassic coaster are 3 amazing additions to the resort in just 3 years. Thank you Universal for moving beyond 3-D.

My main complaint from this show actually is that the hand-to-hand combat stunts are sort of lackluster. I do wish they had been a bit more complex there (or at least choreographed to *look* more complex, i'm sure the stunts are demanding), but aside from that, there's not much to complain about with the show other than some pacing issues.

Reactions: belloq87
What I see the problem is with pacing..

There is no “arc” with big climax and finish. Terminator 2 was incredibly good at this. Started of small (literally) and by the end you were surrounded by screens on all sides and there was an incredible wow moment for the finish. T2 kept pulling tricks out of its sleeve until the very end.

That’s where this falls short. The whole thing is extremely impressive from the get go so there’s no gradual build up to a huge finale “wow” moment. This show is go, go, go, go, end. It’s hard to feel where writers were trying to make tensions rise, then fall. The whole thing is high tension.

From Robert Niles, Theme Park Insider, on Bourne....:" I thought initially there was no chance to see this show until next year. But then I heard that Universal really wanted to keep this cast together rather than having to start from scratch, as it might be if the production was delayed for a year or more. So, it (Universal) pushed to find a way to keep this production viable, even under the new rules."

My main complaint from this show actually is that the hand-to-hand combat stunts are sort of lackluster. I do wish thing had been a bit more complex there (or at least choreographed to *look* more complex, i'm sure the stunts are demanding), but aside from that, there's not much to complain about with the show other than some pacing issues.
That's interesting. The hand to hand fight choreo is hands down the best there is in the theme park industry. The detail in the hand to hand is amazing but I don't think it reads as well to a theater audience as it would on film. On paper the stunts are much harder then running down a ramp and falling on a pad as a foam ball rolls over you. But to the untrained eye it's not as impressive.