The Bourne Stuntacular - Reviews, Photos, & Videos | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

The Bourne Stuntacular - Reviews, Photos, & Videos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That's interesting. The hand to hand fight choreo is hands down the best there is in the theme park industry. The detail in the hand to hand is amazing but I don't think it reads as well to a theater audience as it would on film. On paper the stunts are much harder then running down a ramp and falling on a pad as a foam ball rolls over you. But to the untrained eye it's not as impressive.

Here's the thing, as someone who's worked in film, theme park design, and literal illusory magic: it doesn't matter how tough it is to pull off an illusion (and good stunts qualify, in my opinion). All that matters is the visible result and how the audience perceives it. The hand-to-hand combat might be some of the most challenging ever pulled off in a recurring, live setting, but if it doesn't read as impressive to an audience, does it matter?

REVIEW: A solid, action-packed attraction that despite its simple story, features some of the most unique and exciting elements in a theme park attraction. The Bourne Stuntacular is the next evolution of stunt shows.

What I see the problem is with pacing..

There is no “arc” with big climax and finish. Terminator 2 was incredibly good at this. Started of small (literally) and by the end you were surrounded by screens on all sides and there was an incredible wow moment for the finish. T2 kept pulling tricks out of its sleeve until the very end.

That’s where this falls short. The whole thing is extremely impressive from the get go so there’s no gradual build up to a huge finale “wow” moment. This show is go, go, go, go, end. It’s hard to feel where writers were trying to make tensions rise, then fall. The whole thing is high tension.

This is an issue with modern theme park shows in general. When they updated Fantasmic in Disneyland, they now reveal all the tricks off the bat. The beauty of original Fantasmic was the building and layering of effects as the show progressed, but it seems in modern story telling/design, it’s all about throwing it all at the wall at once and making it stick.

Does anyone know if the Dixon actress and senator actor are regularly Covid tested? Just weird seeing without masks.

Does anyone know if the Dixon actress and senator actor are regularly Covid tested? Just weird seeing without masks.

It's about social distancing, note the senator is wearing a mask in the car at the end because he's within 6 ft of the other actors.

Here's the thing, as someone who's worked in film, theme park design, and literal illusory magic: it doesn't matter how tough it is to pull off an illusion (and good stunts qualify, in my opinion). All that matters is the visible result and how the audience perceives it. The hand-to-hand combat might be some of the most challenging ever pulled off in a recurring, live setting, but if it doesn't read as impressive to an audience, does it matter?
I've only see the video and where the fighting happened was filmed from quite far away. What I got from it is that is it the hard and dirty fighting the movies are know for. Yes when Indiana Jones hits someone it's an over dramatic 80's movie punch we hardly see anymore but Bourne was damn fast and effective and I see that reflected in the video I saw of the show. Also people where cheering after a fight so I guess "the audience" (sorry I don't know them each individually so I find it hard to speak for them) kind of where into it and liked it.

I’m curious about the 2 talking actors. The people in the media on the screen were the same exact people as the actors on stage. Obviously we won’t always have the same 2 actors. Think they will record new media or just have everyone look similar?

and also people talking about the T2 style fog- the front of the stage has some weird box thing that’s not used during the show. There’s also fog used, but very minimally. Gotta wonder if the weird box thing is for the eventual roll out of a T2 style fog blast.

I’m curious about the 2 talking actors. The people in the media on the screen were the same exact people as the actors on stage. Obviously we won’t always have the same 2 actors. Think they will record new media or just have everyone look similar?

and also people talking about the T2 style fog- the front of the stage has some weird box thing that’s not used during the show. There’s also fog used, but very minimally. Gotta wonder if the weird box thing is for the eventual roll out of a T2 style fog blast.
I have seen it with other people and the video matches the person so it seems they recorded it for every person casted.

I heard that there was a helicopter prop seen backstage in an aerial view during construction, but I do not see it in the video of the show. Did I miss it or does the show not have one?

I am not sure if my messages are going through or maybe I'm on mute due to being a low poster. I hadn't seen a response to my message. Maybe I am on some kind of probation? NP if so. Just trying to learn. TY.

Reactions: belloq87
I am not sure if my messages are going through or maybe I'm on mute due to being a low poster. I hadn't seen a response to my message. Maybe I am on some kind of probation? NP if so. Just trying to learn. TY.
I saw it. There’s no probation or anything. I just think people missed it.

Reactions: Allison

Hey topthrill, your post did come through and is showing for me. I'm guessing no one who has seen your post 1) knows the answer or 2) has had a chance to respond yet. Keep in mind that for popular threads, posts can easily get swallowed. It sounds like someone mentioned a helicopter sequence, so it exists in some capacity...

Reactions: craigt and Allison

So I did some research. I haven't seen a video with the helicopter yet but OI did a media blast for the show and included this tweet...

So it's possible there's a helicopter in the show but it hasn't yet been added.

I heard that there was a helicopter prop seen backstage in an aerial view during construction, but I do not see it in the video of the show. Did I miss it or does the show not have one?
If I'm not mistaken a static helicopter positioned over the right side of the stage/audience turns a light on when the screen Bourne turns back into actor hanging from the rope. This happens after the fake jump off the hotel balcony to hanging onto the guy shooting at him.

I don’t recall seeing any practical helicopter. Also “immersive smoke” is a stretch.. hopefully just for now