The Condition of City Walk | Page 20 | Inside Universal Forums

The Condition of City Walk

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's crazy that so much has/is changing in CW this year alone. I haven't been to Uni since late April and most i'm not even sure they had started work on anything yet.

I'll take Jekyll and Hyde in either location, though I think a multilevel setup in Cigarz/TCBY/Candy would be awesome. Would maybe open an opportunity to have one level be the restaurant, one be the bar, and have a show floor.

Reactions: PourJudgment
I've only seen the J&H in NYC, but that is/was a multilevel and it seemed to work well. Unfortunately the management wasn't nearly as impressive.
Hopefully the same problems won't plague the future potential CW location.

Jekyll & Hyde has been rumored for CityWalk for years. I'll believe it when I see it honestly.

J&H was an incredibly strong concept when it opened nearly twenty years ago in NYC, a concept so strong it could seamlessly fit in at either Disney or Universal. Think a darker version of PI's Adventurer's Club, but with food. Since then, J&H has unfortunately de-evolved into one ugly tourist trap over the ensuing years. Take a quick stroll down some Yelp review roads and you'll find horror stories (pun intended) ranging from bad management, poor food quality, and outrageously high prices (even by NY standards). The icing on the cake comes in the form of a $3 "entertainment fee" PER PERSON that's automatically added onto your bill. If you have a party of four, you've already sent $12 just by sitting down! They claim this is to offset the cost of employing full time actors (some of which barely do anything outside of annoying the customers). Keep in mind the entertainment is sporadic throughout the building. Some customers came, ate, and left without ever seeing one of the mini shows, yet they were still charged the dubious $3 fee. Why should one have to foot the bill for something they never experienced?

Hopefully the management and policy procedures will be severely revised if they plan on expanding their franchise into the Orlando area. It's a wonderful concept that deserves its own niche here in theme park central. I had the pleasure of experiencing J&H when it first opened, and it was one of the most unique themed dining experiences I've ever had. We shall see what the future holds...

I've actually been to the J&H Restaurant is NYC. It was quite some time ago, but I remember really digging it. I'd happily welcome it if it were to travel over to Citywalk.

Wasn't impressed by food, service or ambiance when I visited J&H two years ago.

That said, even if I was, does CityWalk need a seventh kitschy table-service restaurant that does the same variation on American cuisine? Not sure J&H has the name recognition to compete for the burgers and chicken Caesars crowd with Buffet, Hard Rock and Bubba Gump (none of which ever seem to have a huge line these days). Seven similar restaurants is probably too many even for DTD, which sees a lot more people than CityWalk.

I've been to Jekyll & Hyde in NYC twice and enjoyed it both times, and think it would be a great addition to Citywalk, especially seeing the way people pine for the Adventurer's Club at PI. I read the Screamscape rumor about it this morning and I suddenly had the picture of it taking over NBA City and being given a facade very much like this but darker:

scmp_16may13_ns_disney2_wck_1278_35802325.jpg

It would seem that Jekyll and Hyde runs several interactive bars, not just their one in NYC. Perhaps it's a haunted Spanish Mission and they're going to reuse the La llorona queue audio! (only half kidding here)

Status
Not open for further replies.