The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida | Page 42 | Inside Universal Forums

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing wrong with talking about it, and there's equally nothing wrong with people disagreeing

Disagreement is fine! I have lots of opinions that are counter to the popular consensus here, and I own it!

It just seems like the knives start to come out, particularly, whenever anybody expresses any admiration for JAWS (the movie) or affection for Jaws (the ride).

Reactions: DodgsonHere
Disagreement is fine! I have lots of opinions that are counter to the popular consensus here, and I own it!

It just seems like the knives start to come out, particularly, whenever anybody expresses any admiration for JAWS (the movie) or affection for Jaws (the ride).
I know I've personally praised the film and the ride is regarded as a Universal classic by many, so I hope I didn't come across as having my knife out, especially because I only fight with a Musket

Heck, I even wrote up a concept for an indoor version of Jaws using Pirates Shanghai as a jumping off point a while ago

I just can't come up with/haven't heard a compelling reason to revive it past merch and the photo op...and maaaybe a scene in a larger Universal Legacy ride

iVillage Live is the only attraction that deserves to be revived

I know I've personally praised the film and the ride is regarded as a Universal classic by many, so I hope I didn't come across as having my knife out, especially because I only fight with a Musket

Heck, I even wrote up a concept for an indoor version of Jaws using Pirates Shanghai as a jumping off point a while ago

I just can't come up with/haven't heard a compelling reason to revive it past merch and the photo op...and maaaybe a scene in a larger Universal Legacy ride
Would love to hear that concept!

As I've said before, I'd love to see a Jaws that occasionally swims in the lagoon, and the accompanying music popping up. It seems it should be doable.

I thought the exact same thing, but with the Jaws shark occasionally jump scaring.

I get why people want a more thrilling “Universal’s Great Movie Ride” but I’d be okay with something like this, with better effects but just as atmospheric.

I thought the exact same thing, but with the Jaws shark occasionally jump scaring.

I get why people want a more thrilling “Universal’s Great Movie Ride” but I’d be okay with something like this, with better effects but just as atmospheric.

The woman getting pushed off the ledge and falling is a really cool -- yet simple -- effect.

Reactions: Darko
People seem to be talking past each other here. I don’t think anyone really wants to install a carbon copy of the Jaws ride. Honestly, it wasn’t very good - the sight lines from the ride vehicle were inconsistent, the forced perspective never worked, the fact that the boats simply travelled in a small circle was blatantly obvious (compare to the successful illusion of travel created by the jungle cruise), and many of the effects were the worst possible combination of very elaborate and not particularly impressive.

That’s the ride. The IP, on the other hand, is one of the most enduring Uni controls and demands a ride as soon as possible. Part of Uni’s problem is that they don’t control a large silo of stable, enduringly resonant IPs that the general public links to the brand and that cry out for theme park lands. Disney certainly does. WB does. Even struggling Paramount is in a better position then Uni in this regard. Of the existing classic studios, I’d argue only Columbia lags behind Uni. This is all tied to the history of the industry, of course - for much of its existence, Universal was a second rate studio kept aloft by Ma and Pa Kettle, Francis the Talking Mule, and Abbott and Costello.

For several reasons, Universal needs to change this, and they’re trying to. The one enduring brand that people link to Universal is the Monsters. In many ways they can and should function like Warner’s Looney Toons or Disney’s Mickey and friends. After failing to exploit them properly for decades, Universal parks are finally properly leveraging this advantage.

But that’s not enough. Bear in mind we’re not just talking about the parks here - modern Hollywood studios are, at heart, IP warehouses. They need to leverage core properties and link them to the brand in the public consciousness. Beyond the Monsters, Universal has identified four core properties - BttF, Jaws, Kong, and ET (if I was in charge Id add Psycho, but that’s a trickier property). Now the physical space of the park needs to be used for the larger mission of making those properties key to the Universal brand. They need attractions, lands, restaurants, merch, etc. It’s a two way street - a major Jaws (or any IP) attraction doesn’t just draw on the property’s cultural footprint, it contributes to it significantly. This is an overlooked key to the longevity of many Disney properties.

Anyway, Jaws would make a great flume, and the Studios need a flume.

One thing that can really hamper Universal's ambitious goals is the continued early closures of the parks, especially on weekends.

I know that private events generate a great source of revenue, but they really shouldn't be closing the parks before 9PM with the crowds they are receiving... especially at IOA at least on weekends. For example, both parks close at 7PM tonight... the start of a busy Thanksgiving holiday week. Both close at 8PM tomorrow... on a Saturday.

IOA should be closing at 10PM having the 2 most popular rides of the resort.

One thing that can really hamper Universal's ambitious goals is the continued early closures of the parks, especially on weekends.

I know that private events generate a great source of revenue, but they really shouldn't be closing the parks before 9PM with the crowds they are receiving... especially at IOA at least on weekends. For example, both parks close at 7PM tonight... the start of a busy Thanksgiving holiday week. Both close at 8PM tomorrow... on a Saturday.

Being the week before Thanksgiving I can understand running light, staffing is still an issue for parks and each extra hour means more bodies. Maybe they show me wrong next weekend

Reactions: shiekra38

Yes. In the leaner days private parties were a boon, plus there were few hotel rooms on site to keep a late night crowd in the parks. But with the crowded conditions, and tons of newer hotel rooms filled with tourists,
it's a disservice to hotel guests to close parks early for private parties now. Universal needs to rethink this and schedule parties more appropriately, or limit their areas to a section of a park, so those hotel visitors can get their
monies worth too. .....Orlando Informer is one of the main causes of this. It wasn't bad when they only had one or two events a year, but now they have many. Plus they get really low hotel rates which makes it problematic for a regular tourist getting
a room even though the regular tourist is paying a much higher room rate.

Last edited:
Being the week before Thanksgiving I can understand running light, staffing is still an issue for parks and each extra hour means more bodies. Maybe they show me wrong next weekend

Excluding the annoying reservation systems, trams at DHS/EP (saw them running 3 trams for both Villains and Heroes at MK the other night), and park hopping policies, Disney operations are pretty much back to normal in terms of staffing levels and hours to their 2018/19 levels to a degree. Ex: Each food booth at Food and Wine is appropriately staffed with 2-3 cashiers and 3-4 serving food/drinks... HHN was lucky to have 2 registers and maybe 3 TMs serving. Quick service at Disney is efficient and fast, never waited more than 10 minutes after ordering. Took about an hour to order a burger sitting under a heat lamp at Krusty Burger a few weeks ago because Universal refuses to staff more than 1 person to fulfill orders and 2 cashiers.

I know I have been complaining about ops at Universal for the past year now, but it's really hindering the guest experience when they have a great opportunity to lapse WDW.

Love Orlando Informer, but closing the parks at 7 for their event is ludicrous. Private events should be held on weekdays.

Excluding the annoying reservation systems, trams at DHS/EP (saw them running 3 trams for both Villains and Heroes at MK the other night), and park hopping policies, Disney operations are pretty much back to normal in terms of staffing levels and hours to their 2018/19 levels to a degree. Ex: Each food booth at Food and Wine is appropriately staffed with 2-3 cashiers and 3-4 serving food/drinks... HHN was lucky to have 2 registers and maybe 3 TMs serving. Quick service at Disney is efficient and fast, never waited more than 10 minutes after ordering. Took about an hour to order a burger sitting under a heat lamp at Krusty Burger a few weeks ago because Universal refuses to staff more than 1 person to fulfill orders and 2 cashiers.

I know I have been complaining about ops at Universal for the past year now, but it's really hindering the guest experience when they have a great opportunity to lapse WDW.

Love Orlando Informer, but closing the parks at 7 for their event is ludicrous. Private events should be held on weekdays.
The sign in front of casting on I-4 begs to differ. I'm not defending their low staffing just pointing out both parks are hiring anyone with a pulse right now.
Anyone who has a shred of knowledge would never buy a park ticket on an OI night, go to the event it is miles better than a day in the parks. IMO it is how the parks should be run

Reactions: Coolbfitz
The sign in front of casting on I-4 begs to differ. I'm not defending their low staffing just pointing out both parks are hiring anyone with a pulse right now.
Anyone who has a shred of knowledge would never buy a park ticket on an OI night, go to the event it is miles better than a day in the parks. IMO it is how the parks should be run

WDW definitely still has staffing issues, but I at least see them trying to staff turnstiles/booths/attractions as sufficiently as possible compared to UOR.

I sincerely doubt the average tourist knows about the OI event, and I can't blame guests that book their vacations when Universal only releases hours 2 months in advance.

Yet lines at Disney are moving and there are like eight people helping to park cars at any given time. They may be hiring, but they’re still operating well with what they have.

The buy-outs have to stop if UO is really gonna deliver on becoming a destination. What does the average tourist paying $600/night for an on-site room do after 7pm when it’s too cold to go swimming?

Status
Not open for further replies.