The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida | Page 41 | Inside Universal Forums

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't ever expect Jaws to return.

However, I think it would garner a lot more excitement than one would think.

And guess what... I never rode it. My guess is that, with how busy/popular the parks are now compared to 2012, it would no longer be a walk-on.

Reactions: DodgsonHere
I do want to say that of course I’m never expecting Jaws to return. I’m grateful for having experienced it and understand why it’s no longer around. That said, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to bring in a new Jaws attraction that is more modern and probably less costly than the original, just like Universal has done with Kong.
Couldn’t agree more. USF feels like it relies on fly-by-night almost temporary properties that are only popular at the very moment. It needs a stable, evergreen e-ticket to serve as the backbone of the park. A modern jaws could absolutely do this. Kong is based loosely off of the 2005 film with its styling and design, but the majority of people just ride it because they want to see a “big monkey.” Jaws would be the same situation, where people won’t necessarily be riding it just for the movie. Even the younger people who haven’t necessarily seen it will still ride just to see a “big shark.” It doesn’t need the movie just to be popular (although the movie is great and anyone who hasn’t seen it should give it a watch)

The short wait times in the later years weren’t because the property was unpopular, they were because of the ride itself. Universal allowed it to become outdated and neglected. Look up a POV from the mid 90s and then look up a POV from 2011. It’s obvious that maintenance really fell off, which in turn would make wait times suffer, as the attraction is only operating on a fraction of its true greatness. I have no doubt that the company that built Hagrids, JWA, and Velocicoaster could build a new Jaws good enough to save USF. The issue now is whether they’d want to.

Are the classic monsters really scary anymore in the public perception? Have they really gone away in nearly 100 years?
I’d argue they were never that scary. The classic horror movies are suspense thrillers featuring tragic antiheroes/villains. That’s actually why those stories succeed… they’re more exploration of characters than “horror.”

The movies that hew more closely to horror (Cat People, Man Who Laughs)… not as popular.

I've been attacked before for saying this. :lol: But, I never understood the ballyhoo over Jaws. It was fun the first time I rode it, but it's re rideability was poor. I was bored with it after a few rides.
And, Alene rode it once with me and didn't like it much. ....And....it was just a walk on every time I walked through that part of the park. Now, that was 2004, 2010 and 2011, so it was well past it's prime.
I'm guessing it was more a product of it's time, like most of the 90's attractions in USF, and didn't translate into a more re rideability park that UO was morphing into. Since I never visited the park in the
90's, I'm kind of impervious to that early park nostalgia allure that was filled with good one off attractions, but many lacking repeat visit interest. .

Reactions: shiekra38
I’d argue they were never that scary. The classic horror movies are suspense thrillers featuring tragic antiheroes/villains. That’s actually why those stories succeed… they’re more exploration of characters than “horror.”

The movies that hew more closely to horror (Cat People, Man Who Laughs)… not as popular.
Either way, the Universal versions are still the ones that have shaped public perception of these characters. I think Jaws has also done more than enough to shape the public perception of sharks.

I’m not going to pretend JAWS wasn’t often a walk on most days before it was announced to close. I liked that I could ride it most days without waiting more than 10 minutes, but that’s not good for business.
And the fact that the captains (at least in my last few rides) were openly mocking the ride a la F&F. It was a great ride with great practical effects, but too many seem to be remembering it with rose-colored glasses.

An IP, well know, beloved, current, classic or hated, doesn't make or break a ride. That discussion is just silly.
Examples are plenty: Twilight Zone (not current, not classic, amazing ride), Song of the South (problematic movie, not current, great ride), WaterWorld (flop, not current, amazing show), Simpsons (had is time, mediocre ride, great land), The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow (at the moment a popular ip but the attraction was a bad).
And when you go into personal taste you can come up with a ton of rides that are amazing but the ip doesn't do it for you. For me personally, I hate super hero stuff but love SpiderMan (IOA) and Hulk, some people don't like Potter of JP but love the coaster. In the end, a good attraction is a good attraction. You can make a boring Jaws ride or a spectacular Jaws ride. As we have seen with SpiderMan, Disney made a turd of a ride 25 years after Universal made the best dark ride ever (imho).
IP strength absolutely does matter in a Post-Potter world for new expansions

Good IP is not immune to a bad attraction

If Disney and Universal are the industry leaders, then Epic Universe is a good idea of where things are headed.

If I'm Universal and I'm looking at cards on the table, there's cards with Dreamworks properties, F&F, and a card with Jaws, which cards do you think I'm going to play?

I do want to say that of course I’m never expecting Jaws to return. I’m grateful for having experienced it and understand why it’s no longer around. That said, I don’t think it would be a bad idea to bring in a new Jaws attraction that is more modern and probably less costly than the original, just like Universal has done with Kong.
Kong, the IP, is still churning out relevant films though and has a lot bigger library than Jaws.

Again, nobody here is actually, seriously suggesting they rebuild the Jaws ride at USF.

But that type of attraction is absolutely one that the park could use.
I think some are absolutely convinced that a Jaws ride is something Universal needs to pursue

Why? Because I haven't stopped hearing about it since the ride closed

Then fuel was added to the fire when Universal "brought back" Kong

Now there are Twitter pages literally devoted to @ ing Universal in an effort to revive the ride

Yes, some are absolutely convinced it would still work in 2022

I believe it would open to a lot of fanfare, and then largely be ignored like it was before

Last edited:
I think some are absolutely convinced that a Jaws ride is something Universal needs to pursue

Now there are Twitter pages literally devoted to @ ing Universal in an effort to revive the ride

I believe it would open to a lot of fanfare, and then largely be ignored like it was before
Many just love the IP and miss it in the parks. I would be just as ecstatic if it got representation in a more thrilling Great Movie Ride type attraction that many hypothetically talk about here.

An omnimover with scenes from various Universal films and properties is the only way I see them bringing back classic attractions in any way.

The Studio Tour at USH is still popular and Jaws/Earthquake still remain some of the more popular scenes. Put BTTF/Jaws for the old folks, and throw in some more relevant films for the next generation. Maybe devote a scene as a "black box" for whatever new films are coming out.

An omnimover with scenes from various Universal films and properties is the only way I see them bringing back classic attractions in any way.

The Studio Tour at USH is still popular and Jaws/Earthquake still remain some of the more popular scenes. Put BTTF/Jaws for the old folks, and throw in some more relevant films for the next generation. Maybe devote a scene as a "black box" for whatever new films are coming out.
I always liked the concept of taking a DeLorean to travel back in time through classic Universal movies. I would prefer it to have a slightly thrilling aspect, something a little faster moving than an omnimover to make the attraction at least feel more dynamic, but still ultimately family friendly. Scoop vehicle? The suspended vehicle system they patented? Trackless? Either way I think it could be a blast to time hop through Universal's extensive library, with lots of physical set pieces and maybe a few screen segments if needed to convey flying action. If done right it could be a love letter to the fans and the parks thesis statement and anchor attraction.

Basically have this video be the plot:

I always liked the concept of taking a DeLorean to travel back in time through classic Universal movies. I would prefer it to have a slightly thrilling aspect, something a little faster moving than an omnimover to make the attraction at least feel more dynamic, but still ultimately family friendly. Scoop vehicle? The suspended vehicle system they patented? Trackless? Either way I think it could be a blast to time hop through Universal's extensive library, with lots of physical set pieces and maybe a few screen segments if needed to convey flying action. If done right it could be a love letter to the fans and the parks thesis statement and anchor attraction.

So a universal version of Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast?

I think that’s the best solution to this idea that Universal needs to go all in on nostalgia and honor its film history.

Now I don’t think that type of attraction will be built for reasons I’ve already stated on previous posts. But we can dream and keep hope alive in one way or another.

Well, A Jaws ride is not necessarily THE Jaws ride.

And also, what's the big deal with folks talking about it? Let people want what they want!

I don't know about an omnimover, but yes.

And hey, I'm only 35! :lol:

This has long been my pet pitch for a Great Universal Movie Ride. It would be really meta, but I think any kind of "throw a bunch of IPs together" attraction kind of has to be.

Only a Giga will save Studios

the-shining-jack.gif

I'm still glued to the idea of a higher budget version of this, but with Universal franchises

I'd be fully in favor of an E-ticket-sized version of this (with big show scenes) paired with the kind of Doc Brown storyline talked about above.

Status
Not open for further replies.