The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida | Page 39 | Inside Universal Forums

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
USF could use at least one new E-ticket that feels one of a kind and unique. Gringotts and Transformers are (in my view) just Spider-Man riffs, and when you go back in time beyond those, you have to go all the way back to 2003 with Mummy for the next E-ticket.

I still think the park's most pressing issue is that there hasn't been a non-projection-heavy dark ride added since MIB, but obviously a mega E-ticket draw certainly wouldn't hurt!
E-ticket + flat rides. Do not forget the flat rides.

Better suggestions than bringing Jaws back? Of course, there is a lengthy list of options.

Would it change anything if I brought them up though?
Just a joke man. Regardless of if it’s the best idea or even a good idea, USF could benefit heavily from an attraction like Jaws. It sounds like the rumored phase 2 Creature from the black lagoon boat ride at EU could be a spiritual successor to Jaws so I don’t think Uni has given up on boat rides just yet. Jaws also just happens to be one of the most iconic movies of all time that people will connect to whether they’ve seen the movie or not. Islands uses a lot of timeless properties, USF seems low on them. Will Fallon, Transformers, F&F, and MIB really hold up in a decade?

So what if they are or aren't?

They will probably all be gone in 30 years, what does it matter?

If you're looking for a ride to stick around forever, Universal Studios is not your place.
The original park was designed with evergreen properties for the major attractions, Kong, Jaws, and E.T.. Earthquake was a miss in that regard, but the concept of the attraction still had universal appeal. This only changed after Islands, and even then the biggest and most successful investment into the park, Diagon, is certainly meant to stick around for a while. In my opinion they should return to the original “evergreen” model instead of focusing on new-ish properties, since most of the new additions to the park after Mummy have not been great. Islands is using timeless properties to great success, and it looks like EU will be a great success with it’s quality properties too. Studios should be the same.

The original park was designed with evergreen properties for the major attractions, Kong, Jaws, and E.T.. Earthquake was a miss in that regard, but the concept of the attraction still had universal appeal. This only changed after Islands, and even then the biggest and most successful investment into the park, Diagon, is certainly meant to stick around for a while. In my opinion they should return to the original “evergreen” model instead of focusing on new-ish properties, since most of the new additions to the park after Mummy have not been great. Islands is using timeless properties to great success, and it looks like EU will be a great success with it’s quality properties too. Studios should be the same.
The problem with “evergreen properties” is the idea of them assumes the broader perception won’t change. Universal couldn’t have imagined that sharks would go from Michael Myers underwater to dive trips with Kevin Hart and Baby Shark. That’s a drastic shift in the way sharks are viewed that makes Jaws incongruous with modern audiences. Universal never could have expected that a ride-through of a destroyed, flaming NYC could… you know… happen in real life (monkey aside). But society changes, and what is initially thought of as “evergreen” can wilt and die.

BttF isn’t evergreen—it always had a shelf-life of 2015. Even something as ubiquitous as the Simpsons has grown long in the tooth.

Last edited:
The problem with “evergreen properties” is the idea of them assumes the broader perception won’t change. Universal couldn’t have imagined that sharks would go from Michael Myers underwater to dive trips with Kevin Hart and Baby Shark. That’s a drastic shift in the way sharks are viewed that makes Jaws incongruous with modern audiences. Universal never could have expected that a ride-through of a destroyed, flaming NYC could… you know… happen in real life (monkey aside). But society changes, and what is initially thought of as “evergreen” can wilt and die.

BttF isn’t evergreen—it always had a shelf-life of 2015. Even something as ubiquitous as the Simpsons has grown long in the tooth.
I guess it's true that it's hard to predict what's evergreen and how public perception will change, but Disney still has rides that are 50 years old and have stood the test of time. I think in general is Disney is much better than Universal at keeping older properties and characters relevant even if they're not receiving new movies. Again though, I think this is only a problem at USF. Islands still has quality and timeless properties (your mileage on Toon Lagoon may vary), and Epic is going to have a whole land based on a property that is nearing 100 years.

I agree BttF isn't evergreen, as much as I and many others love the property the entire plot is bound by time. Not to say a cool roller coaster in a Delorian wouldn't be awesome, wish Universal already had plans for a cool car themed coaster they could port to USF with a slight retheme to BttF...

I'm always baffled when any praise of JAWS or BACK TO THE FUTURE (even partially in jest, in this case!) inevitably draws out the contrarians.

If those movies aren't iconic and beloved, then there's no such thing.

Disney still has rides that are 50 years old and have stood the test of time.

Well, some would have you believe that you're blinded by nostalgia and those rides actually aren't very good!

I'm always baffled when any praise of JAWS or BACK TO THE FUTURE (even partially in jest, in this case!) inevitably draws out the contrarians.

If those movies aren't iconic and beloved, then there's no such thing.
In my experience, there's unfortunately a large contingent of people who will dismiss (big emphasis) "old" (big emphasis) movies regardless of their quality.

In my experience, there's unfortunately a large contingent of people who will dismiss (big emphasis) "old" (big emphasis) movies regardless of their quality.
The argument against Jaws coming back is not a comment on whether it's an iconic piece of cinema

It can be an iconic film and not necessarily something Universal should bring back in ride form at the same time

In regards to classic Disney rides...they are just that, classic *Disney* rides.

A 40+ year old ride at Disney is "tradition", a 40+ year old ride at Universal is "outdated"

ET has had several other concepts designed for its space, Speilberg is the gatekeeper...it would be gone otherwise

I desperately wish Universal had the space to give a large chunk of their iconic properties a segment on a Great Movie Ride, Jaws included

We all know they don't have the space

Last edited:
Reactions: OrlLover and Darko
The argument against Jaws coming back is not a comment on whether it's an iconic piece of cinema

It can be an iconic film and not necessarily something Universal should bring back in ride form at the same time

In regards to classic Disney rides...they are just that, classic *Disney* rides.

A 40+ year old ride at Disney is "tradition", a 40+ year old ride at Universal is "outdated"

ET has had several other concepts designed for its space, Speilberg is the gatekeeper...it would be gone otherwise

I desperately wish Universal had the space to give a large chunk of their iconic properties a segment on a Great Movie Ride, Jaws included

We all know they don't have the space
Just curious and not trying to argue, why should a film like Jaws not have an attraction at the parks, besides the fact that Universal does not hold nostalgia for it’s classic property. I think it would be more successful in advertising campaigns and merch sales than every addition to Studios since Diagon.

Reactions: SpatulaShack
Just curious and not trying to argue, why should a film like Jaws not have an attraction at the parks, besides the fact that Universal does not hold nostalgia for it’s classic property. I think it would be more successful in advertising campaigns and merch sales than every addition to Studios since Diagon.
Because you can have shirts, mugs, and the photo-op around for much cheaper and save room for Dreamworks, Illumination, and other more beneficial properties to the overall park

I'm sure everyone here would *love* a Universal where Diagon and Jaws are side by side in Orlando, but we all know space is a commodity

This is another reason why I would be careful to compare Universal and Disney in the "nostalgia" category

Reactions: Darko
Status
Not open for further replies.