The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 154 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ultimately for me, between the two, even besides any bias towards preferring Zelda. Over a decade or more now there has still been no strong indications that Universal can actually work with LoTR versus it being a pipedream still. Meanwhile it sounds like it would "only" take a greenlight to get started on something Zelda. so from that practical standpoint I would take Zelda too, that and frankly just want them to get started with more Nintendo stuff period.

However, in the scenario where they also have the rights to work with LOTR, I do think it's a moot point, I don't think they actually overlap largely beyond being "fantasy" and won't end up in the same park anyways most likely, and LOTR would be too big to pass up no matter what. It's definitely a matter of overthinking things imo a little whenever this comes up lol.

Though in the spirit of overthinking things, I do always scratch my head when the "genre balance" debate comes up and a sci fi property is suggested. I always felt the general lack of sci fi in theme parks and/or floundering lands based on it were good indicators of the lower popularity of that stuff. If one were to aim for something science-y/spacey in theme parks I feel we would end up with something leaning more "science fantasy" ala Dune (which brings up the usual issue of some stuff makes for a good ride idea but maybe not land) perhaps.

Reactions: OrlLover
Why Dont We Have Both GIF

For balance, it feels like Universal could really use a big sci-fi property, a Star Trek (unlikely, or course) or an expanded Transformers if they can jump start that franchise.
Star Trek is currently in the gutter besides Picard season 3 from what I can tell and you can’t really do anything else with Transformers.

With that said, Sci-Fi Super Nintendo World next to Mario at EU. F-Zero coaster on the level of or even surpassing VelociCoaster, Star Fox Arwing simulator, Metroid shooter ride like MiB with more advanced animatronics and elaborate sets and some projected elements as well.

Reactions: anihilnation
Star Trek is currently in the gutter besides Picard season 3 from what I can tell and you can’t really do anything else with Transformers.

With that said, Sci-Fi Super Nintendo World next to Mario at EU. F-Zero coaster on the level of or even surpassing VelociCoaster, Star Fox Arwing simulator, Metroid shooter ride like MiB with more advanced animatronics and elaborate sets and some projected elements as well.
I don't really think there's a big sci-fi property that Universal can get access to like unless you count Stranger Things or maybe if Dune part 2/Amazon's Warhammer stuff is user successful.

Nintendo's Sci-fi franchise are some of their most niche and I don't will get any of them unless one gets a successful movie or maybe a standalone ride/mini land somewhere

Reactions: Ahmanet and GA-MBIT
I don't really think there's a big sci-fi property that Universal can get access to like unless you count Stranger Things or maybe if Dune part 2/Amazon's Warhammer stuff is user successful.

Nintendo's Sci-fi franchise are some of their most niche and I don't will get any of them unless one gets a successful movie or maybe a standalone ride/mini land somewhere
Which is why I put them all together and gave F-Zero a big coaster. Niche IP or not you know a ride like that would be a HUGE draw. Plus Captain Falcon is very well known through Smash so if he appeared in the land people would recognize him. Then add in the two F-Zero tracks and kart that appear in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which is the highest selling Switch game and one of Nintendos best sellers of all time on any console, F-Zero isn’t exactly “unknown.”

Metroid though not the biggest seller could easily be a popular ride with that concept and I wouldn’t be surprised if a movie could be on the way since Nintendo seems to once again be in a phase of trying to push the franchise to new heights after the success seen with Dread (already the highest selling game in the series) and the assumed success of Prime Remastered (no actual numbers yet but it topped the eShop charts for more than a month and was sold out for a while physically in stores). Then we have Prime 4 on the way which is still listed as coming every time Nintendo updates their shareholders.

Star Fox I’ll give you which is why I gave it the smallest ride that would basically just be Uni’s Star Tours.

Last edited:

I actually love the Nintendo sci-if mashup idea - great use of several properties that couldn’t support whole lands on their own. In particular, I’d love a Star Fox attraction - especially if it integrated AAs of Fox and friends. Are Fox and F1 still relevant at all?

But come on, Star Trek is evergreen - it and LotR are arguably the two biggest IPs that still lack a major theme park presence (if you count DC comics at Six Flags as a legitimate presence). It has an obsessive, enduring fandom and settings and characters that are recognizable even to non-fans. Star Trek and Tom Cruise are the only things keeping Paramount afloat, and the studio is about to launch a whole bunch of new ST media, including a Michelle Yeoh-led film and several more film and TV projects. I don’t really think Uni will or even should try and get Trek, but it would be a big deal if they did (and I suspect Paramount would be very willing to talk).

PS: You want an IP that’s gonna move merch? ST is tailored to do that in a way few other franchise besides HP will, since it depicts a fantastic but consumerist society. Like HP, it features a varied but meaningful and recognizable collection of uniforms, accessories, and weapons. Tricorders and phasers from various series and eras aren’t wands, but they’re close. While Star Wars is much more popular, Trek is much better situated for merch marketing - imagine the parks full of folks in science blue or security red alongside all the guests today in Ravenclaw blue and Gryffindor red.

Last edited:
Reactions: GA-MBIT and Jake S
I actually love the Nintendo sci-if mashup idea - great use of several properties that couldn’t support whole lands on their own. In particular, I’d love a Star Fox attraction - especially if it integrated AAs of Fox and friends. Are Fox and F1 still relevant at all?
They’re kept relevant through Smash so people would know these characters.
But come on, Star Trek is evergreen - it and LotR are arguably the two biggest IPs that still lack a major theme park presence (if you count DC comics at Six Flags as a legitimate presence). It has an obsessive, enduring fandom and settings and characters that are recognizable even to non-fans. Star Trek and Tom Cruise are the only things keeping Paramount afloat, and the studio is about to launch a whole bunch of new ST media, including a Michelle Yeoh-led film and several more film and TV projects. I don’t really think Uni will or even should try and get Trek, but it would be a big deal if they did (and I suspect Paramount would be very willing to talk).
It would be evergreen if they would give fans what they want rather than these shows that fall off a cliff until they finally got the right idea with Picard Season 3. Also, I’m not a big Star Trek guy. The only Trek I’ve actually sat down and seen are the 3 Chris Pine movies. I just follow general entertainment news and reports.
PS: You want an IP that’s gonna move merch? ST is tailored to do that in a way few other franchise besides HP will, since it depicts a fantastic but consumerist society. Like HP, it features a varied but meaningful and recognizable collection of uniforms, accessories, and weapons. Tricorders and phasers from various series aren’t wands, but they’re close. While Star Wars is much more popular, Trek is much better situated for mercy marketing - imagine the parks full of folks in science blue or security red alongside all the guests today in Ravenclaw blue and Gryffindor red.
Original Trek sells, not the new stuff. Just like Star Wars minus Mandalorian/Grogu though after the reception of season 3 even that might change now lol.

Amazon is doing a Warhammer series?

Which is why I put them all together and gave F-Zero a big coaster. Niche IP or not you know a ride like that would be a HUGE draw. Plus Captain Falcon is very well known through Smash so if he appeared in the land people would recognize him. Then add in the two F-Zero tracks and kart that appear in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which is the highest selling Switch game and one of Nintendos best sellers of all time on any console, F-Zero isn’t exactly “unknown.”.
Also, we have the perfect music for a thrilling coaster.

Nintendo barely likes to admit F-Zero and Star Fox even exist. And has to be prodded to do anything with Metroid. 0 chance any of them show up in the parks.

If anything shows up outside of Mario it will be Zelda, Pokemon, and an outside chance at something like a little Kirby or Animal Crossing mini area.

As for "Zelda vs LOTR" there's absolutely no reason not to have both. But only if you can make the land based of Jackson's trilogy, and not whatever slop Zaslav's WB shovels out in a few years.

Also, we have the perfect music for a thrilling coaster.

A "Nintendo Space World" would be cool. Kirby, Samus, Captain Falcon, Fox McCloud, and Ness from Earthbound would all be at home there, interacting. If Nintendo ever did their own park, you can bet some or all of these would be represented.

That said, Legend of Zelda and Pokemon (co-owned by Nintendo) seem more realistic. All other IPs (including Splatoon, Animal Crossing, etc) seem more niche. Good for merchandising under a "Nintendo Store," but maybe not recognizable enough next to Mario, Link, etc.