The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 299 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For whenever it next happens, the most obvious is a basic recreation of the Marvel zone from 15, this time in NY.

Zones at this point are so hard to come up with ideas for. I'd be okay with cutting Plaza going forward.

You mean Blood Thunder Alley, I could see it being used in The Terra Cruentas house and not be a big section just one of the section in it along with Demon Cantina and so forth, it might be a tight squeeze but it would be acceptable at least and would still make the house good especially after the long wait.

For whenever it next happens, the most obvious is a basic recreation of the Marvel zone from 15, this time in NY.

Zones at this point are so hard to come up with ideas for. I'd be okay with cutting Plaza going forward.
Marvel means you’ll be getting a demographic of pre teen kids. Not the turnout you want at HHN. Doubt that ones on the table, but it could bring in some crowds.

Honestly, I don’t see what makes HoHH a good house, either. If we’re comparing the protagonists of it with the protagonists of other shows or films in other houses, I think there are a few differences.
ST and GB were meant to be crowd-pleasers and “fun” houses, in my opinion, so the reliance on scares already wasn’t there. I feel like that’s not a great move for the average HHN fan, but it was successful for Universal. Those characters are also extremely fleshed out and directly interact with the things that are meant to instill any real “fear” in those houses.
Unpopular opinion, but I liked Us; I think that the non-Tethered worked best because we’d already seen their Tethered counterpart first and understood the threat behind that character. Also along those lines, all of the non-Tethered were in immediate mortal danger, meaning that their appearances were not shoved in for the sake of needing a new jumpscare by yelling dialogue at us.
To be honest, I don’t think that HoHH could do these things. It’s such an emotionally-driven show, arguably before it’s horror-driven. It is difficult to portray emotions in a house, and even if it’s done right, it still has to be blink-and-you’ll-miss-it so that it doesn’t impact scares (I found the baby skeletons in the cribs in Seeds of Extinction to be especially tragic, for example). Taking out the emotions, there is no story to establish for HoHH. All we have left are some siblings and a lot of ghost jumpscares. If someone were to actually write out their ideas for how scares could work and a coherent story could be told, I’d love to read it, but I can’t see it at all. I really admire Universal’s ability to come up with complex yet palpable stories for its originals, so I don’t want to see them just make this a “ghost house.”

(It’s been a long time, but I’m back from the dead !! Hello again, forum!)

Marvel means you’ll be getting a demographic of pre teen kids. Not the turnout you want at HHN. Doubt that ones on the table, but it could bring in some crowds.

Uh...

“Marvel zone from 15” means the zone that was in Marvel at 15. Which, was definitely NOT for kids.

Yeah, think Satanic Sons of Anarchy bikers, not Dr. Doom and Carnage.

HHN used the Marvel characters in 2002 (the first year the event was at IoA) without clearing them. A pre-Disney-ownership, still-on-the-verge-of-bankruptcy-so-desperate-for-money Marvel made it clear that would be the end of their contract if it ever happened again. 2020 has taught me to never say never, but there is virtually no chance we ever see Marvel characters at HHN again.

Yeah, think Satanic Sons of Anarchy bikers, not Dr. Doom and Carnage.

HHN used the Marvel characters in 2002 (the first year the event was at IoA) without clearing them. A pre-Disney-ownership, still-on-the-verge-of-bankruptcy-so-desperate-for-money Marvel made it clear that would be the end of their contract if it ever happened again. 2020 has taught me to never say never, but there is virtually no chance we ever see Marvel characters at HHN again.

And sights like this... :love:
BTA_Lady.jpg

Also, I do gotta point out that Uni will have to start targeting towards the current young demographic of people in their 20's and late teens. They cant keep relying on the old population for so long and will need to try and focus on this young group. After all, there is literally one of the largest populations of Undergraduate students in Orlando. It's logical to try and garner towards them on a Business Sense. HHN has to make money, which some Old Timer fans of HHN seem to forget.

Also, I do gotta point out that Uni will have to start targeting towards the current young demographic of people in their 20's and late teens. They cant keep relying on the old population for so long and will need to try and focus on this young group. After all, there is literally one of the largest populations of Undergraduate students in Orlando. It's logical to try and garner towards them on a Business Sense. HHN has to make money, which some Old Timer fans of HHN seem to forget.

Haven’t they always targeted towards college-aged people? FGS, late teens/early 20s LIKE actual horror (I think). ST and GB are more adolescents.

The rumored lineup sounded mostly in line with what the “older crowd” wants.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Haven’t they always targeted towards college-aged people? FGS, late teens/early 20s LIKE actual horror (I think). ST and GB are more adolescents.

The rumored lineup sounded mostly in line with what the “older crowd” wants.
Oh no, absolutely. My response was to the people who complain that "HHN is targeting towards young people nowadays!!" I know plenty of people in college who went to HHN just because of Stranger Things coming to the event and now, they've fallen in love with it.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Oh no, absolutely. My response was to the people who complain that "HHN is targeting towards young people nowadays!!" I know plenty of people in college who went to HHN just because of Stranger Things coming to the event and now, they've fallen in love with it.

I know of people who literally just went for Stranger Things and to get on rides for cheaper, so your point kind of stands. But I don’t think you need an all-around family friendly event to draw in the college crowd. Or do today’s young adults simply not like horror as much as previous generations? I would like to think not—don’t want to turn into an angry old grandpa (more than I already am).

Last edited:
I know of people who literally just went for Stranger Things and to get on rides for cheaper, so point kind of stands. But I don’t think you need an all-around family friendly event to draw in the college crowd. Or do today’s young adults simply not like horror as much as previous generations? I would like to think not.

I mean, horror is incredibly popular, I think. Haunted houses, I don’t think, have ever really gone out of style. If Universal offered an up charge after-hours event in the summer like MK they could go more family friendly with it, I’m sure.

I know of people who literally just went for Stranger Things and to get on rides for cheaper, so your point kind of stands. But I don’t think you need an all-around family friendly event to draw in the college crowd. Or do today’s young adults simply not like horror as much as previous generations? I would like to think not—don’t want to turn into an angry old grandpa (more than I already am).
I think they like horror, but a lot of recent horror may not work for HHN. People are turning less towards Slashers and more times movies like the Invisible Man, Get Out, US, Ready or Not, etc. Some may work well while others you just cant turn into houses.

I think they like horror, but a lot of recent horror may not work for HHN. People are turning less towards Slashers and more times movies like the Invisible Man, Get Out, US, Ready or Not, etc. Some may work well while others you just cant turn into houses.

Once again I don’t think IM is as impossible as people think it is. Opportunity for something unique and creative.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
As someone who was extremely vocal about disliking Ghostbusters, WTH are y'all smoking by saying HoHH isn't horror? It's one of a very small handful of IPs I would just be excited about as an original.

Gah, people need to stop thinking of horror in terms of jump scares! Besides, relying more on scary imagery is what HHN should do (next time it happens) to better accommodate a conga line.

And I'm fine with that choice, as long as it keeps the relationship between Netflix and Universal good so that we get more houses based on their productions.

Reactions: londonwerecat
Heres the thing: The rights issue with Marvel is a nightmare, they wouldn't want to have their IP being used at HHN. I could see them doing something like Treaks & Foons, where its more fun than scary. But thats just me.

Once again I don’t think IM is as impossible as people think it is. Opportunity for something unique and creative.

Not impossible - just highly unlikely. The monster in the movie was NOT just the Invisible Man. I just don't think Universal wants to do a house following in the footsteps of a survivor escaping her abusive boyfriend, who uses invisibility to abuse her more, including gaslighting. It's one thing if that symbolism were more subtle (i.e. Us/classism) but IM is very in-your-face with what it's about. That's why people are pointing to saying it's unlikely to happen.

Heres the thing: The rights issue with Marvel is a nightmare, they wouldn't want to have their IP being used at HHN. I could see them doing something like Treaks & Foons, where its more fun than scary. But thats just me.
It’s not a nightmare. It’s very cut and dried. Marvel didn’t like the way its characters were presented in 2002, and said Universal can’t use them for HHN anymore. Now that Disney owns Marvel, that goes double.

Status
Not open for further replies.