The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 300 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So DC Dark Nights: Metal house confirmed, then? (/s)

0:)

Real talk though: WB should mine the heeeeell outta that gold depending on how successful their Arkham Asylum walkthrough was (didn't look too impressive to me, tbh...)

So DC Dark Nights: Metal house confirmed, then? (/s)

0:)

Real talk though: WB should mine the heeeeell outta that gold depending on how successful their Arkham Asylum walkthrough was (didn't look too impressive to me, tbh...)
Whose gonna use it though? Six Flags owns the DC theme park rights, and Universal Orlando won’t risk using DC because it could serve as justification for Disney to pull Marvel (as they would be unfaithful to the Marvel brand). Universal Hollywood, in theory, could do it, but will Universal want to use such a big brand on one coast?

There’s a lot of math to DC showing up at HHN.

Not impossible - just highly unlikely. The monster in the movie was NOT just the Invisible Man. I just don't think Universal wants to do a house following in the footsteps of a survivor escaping her abusive boyfriend, who uses invisibility to abuse her more, including gaslighting. It's one thing if that symbolism were more subtle (i.e. Us/classism) but IM is very in-your-face with what it's about. That's why people are pointing to saying it's unlikely to happen.

It does feel like more and more topics/themes are becoming "problematic" (see the Knott's asylum controversy a few years back, and yeah people upset about the dog). Because they have to think of TEN houses each year, that's a concerning dynamic.

It does feel like more and more topics/themes are becoming "problematic" (see the Knott's asylum controversy a few years back, and yeah people upset about the dog). Because they have to think of TEN houses each year, that's a concerning dynamic.

Eh. What else is there that's a reasonable IP that would be taboo? Get Out, Purge (which has been milked dry), and now this? That's a very shortlist.

Eh. What else is there that's a reasonable IP that would be taboo? Get Out, Purge (which has been milked dry), and now this? That's a very shortlist.
So if it’s a short list, then having a taboo house every now and again isn’t the worst thing. Just look how many times they did Purge.

I can see this being a house similar to Get Out in it being more of a psychological house rather than the typical haunted house.

Ironically, I could see Invisible Man working if most of the scares were screens and projections. If they had done that, it would have been the only house negligibly impacted by the pandemic.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
So if it’s a short list, then having a taboo house every now and again isn’t the worst thing. Just look how many times they did Purge.

I can see this being a house similar to Get Out in it being more of a psychological house rather than the typical haunted house.

What the hell does this take even mean? So because there's a shortlist of "taboo" houses, it's ok to use one?

Nick... C'mon, man. :lol:

Reactions: Lucky Planet
What the hell does this take even mean? So because there's a shortlist of "taboo" houses, it's ok to use one?

Nick... C'mon, man. :lol:
No, I’m saying that there’s only a few of these so-called “taboo” houses. I don’t see why one can’t be used every now and then.

I really think you are over blowing how controversial an Invisible Man house would be.

Last edited:
No, I’m saying that there’s only a few of these so-called “taboo” houses. I don’t see why one can’t be used every now and then. Hell, they just used Get Out last year.

I really think you are over blowing how controversial an Invisible Man house would be.

So yes... you are saying because there's a shortlist of "taboo" houses, it's ok to use one.

Also - they used Us.. :lol:

So yes... you are saying because there's a shortlist of "taboo" houses, it's ok to use one.

Also - they used Us.. :lol:
Sure, I am I guess and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying 1 out of every 50 houses or something like that (so 1 house in 5 years) can be a taboo house.

And lol, mixed up Jordan Peele IPs :lol:

Sure, I am I guess and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying 1 out of every 50 houses or something like that (so 1 house in 5 years) can be a taboo house.

And lol, mixed up Jordan Peele IPs :lol:

After their comments on Get Out never coming, it's easy to see why they would avoid IM. I guess we'll disagree on this one.

After their comments on Get Out never coming, it's easy to see why they would avoid IM. I guess we'll disagree on this one.
I do think there could be a way to do IM in a way they can’t do Get Out. Jordan Peele would want Get Out done exactly like the movie like they did with Us.

Invisible Man is a Universal IP so I think there’s a lot more wiggle room to neuter the IP from R to PG-13 than with Get Out.

But yeah, we’ll have to disagree here I guess.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I can't remember who, but someone laughed off the idea of an Invisible Man house by saying something like "what would they do, a whole house of the Graveyard Games tunnel?" And I thought "heck yes!" It could fall spectacularly flat, but such a sensory-based house would be something FRESH. Which above all is what we need.

(I'm aware they couldn't do this until they can resume more normal operations.)

I do think there could be a way to do IM in a way they can’t do Get Out. Jordan Peele would want Get Out done exactly like the movie like they did with Us.

Invisible Man is a Universal IP so I think there’s a lot more wiggle room to neuter the IP from R to PG-13 than with Get Out.

But yeah, we’ll have to disagree here I guess.
Except the rating, which was R because of violence and language, isn’t what makes the film taboo to HHN; it’s the context of a film that centers entirely on domestic abuse. It’s literally a movie about gaslighting and manipulation. So, it’s taboo in the way Get Out is taboo—the social messaging is too integral to the story itself to be presented at HHN without coming across as crass and insensitive.

I mean technically invisible man would be the perfect social distancing house this year! Don’t even need scare actors:lol:

Yes but lots of sensory effects (air, water, SIF) would be needed, at least to do the somewhat abstract but highly innovative concept I'm thinking of. I love these types of effects--they were staples in what's widely considered Florida's scariest attraction ever.

At very least, save the anniversary stuff til next year when you can go all out (or more, at least).

Last edited:
Reactions: Living Dead Dude
Yes but lots of sensory effects (air, water, SIF) would be needed, at least to do the somewhat abstract but highly innovative concept I'm thinking of. I love these types of effects--they were staples in what's widely considered Florida's scariest attraction ever.

At very least, save the anniversary stuff til next year when you can go all out (or more, at least).
It'll really be a shame if we get a bunch of houses that could've been great and the whole event just ends up sort of "meh" (or even worse) because of social distancing restrictions. I sort of hope some stuff like a Beetlejuice zone gets pulled and pushed to next year. Zones won't be able to be properly done this year anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.