The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 398 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn’t they just have a CM dump the candy into bags instead?
That’s what they did anyway. They didn’t let randos just take as much candy as they wanted. They always had CMs putting the candy in your bags every time we went
Sorry, let me restate.

Yes the cast members do place candy in bags. However, the aerosols landing on candy with people coughing, sneezing and snotty kids reaching their hands in(seen it). It's probably not the best.

I just wonder what type of event it’ll have to be in order to make it safe. Hate to see some great house concepts blown on a year with drastic changes to design.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
As others have mentioned, I wouldn't be hitting the panic button because Disney cancelled MNSSHP. Since last I checked, the main selling point of MNSSHP were it's parade, fireworks and candy. The first two are already not happening during regular park operations, and the whole candy situation was gonna be on shaky ground if not canned altogether. Add in the event is supposed to start in 50-something days, there's no point in trying to have it.

On top of all that, WDW still hasn't reopened their parks so they don't even know how that's gonna' go for them.

Uni on the other hand is open, and is getting a fairly good idea on operations and whatnot. They're able to prepare and adjust accordingly for the event, which on a whole is different in more ways than one than MNSSHP.

I really hate to ask this, but with the MNSSHP announcement...
Mickey's Party would literally be a hemorrhaging of money for them as the demand just probably isn't there this year.

HHN stands to still be relatively worth while for Universal to continue on with.

Although, If rates continue to increase and more people are affected, the optics would be terrible.

At this point, I'm counting on it happening, but I'm planning on it to not.

I believe it says more about Disney's operating margin than having a safe event.
No.

What are the three main selling points of Not So Scary?
1) Tons of candy given out. Not happening.
2) Special fireworks. Not happening.
3) Reduced MK capacity. But the normal Halloween party number is higher than what MK will be at reopening. So 1) it’s no longer a selling point and 2) you can’t stay under the distanced capacity number during the crossover period unless you cap both the regular day and the party even lower than low. Say they ditch the crossover period - then you’ve got egress and ingress at once. Good luck distancing that.

The correct answer is they don’t feel like dealing with the logistics. Sounds weird, but I’m getting the feeling that the NBA is stretching them thin from a logistical brain-power perspective. Maybe because some of them are still sitting at home.

I wouldn't worry. Not So Scary and HHN are 2 different types of events.
Bingo.

To shed a little light on my perspective: I’ve never been the biggest fan of HHN (being scared, while I can put up with it for friends, just isn’t my favorite thing), but I have always appreciated the butt load of artistry that goes into the event. I’d really hate to see a world where HHN went away for good. That being said, given the surrounding circumstances, it’s really hard for me to say that HHN should be happening this year. As an event that capitalized on closed in, indoor spaces, it seems like the event would be a COVID nightmare.

That said, while I know they could cancel it, and I think they should cancel it, I strongly doubt they will cancel it. A few friends at Universal have signaled to me that (primarily for economic reasons) HHN is being very strongly pushed internally. While I can’t totally agree with the motivation, I see why the event is likely to happen. I can only hope that we manage to mostly control the virus before Sept, or else I could easily see it wreaking havoc on the event from guests to casts.

Yeah, this is my thought process:

* I love HHN.
* While I love it, I can survive without it.
* I don’t have enough knowledge to say if it should or shouldn’t happen.
* I think it will happen.
* I may or may not go, but I’ll definitely be dialing back from prior years.
* I wouldn’t be nervous about my health, but I would be nervous about the health of the TMs.

Remember how, during the aughts, HHN was the only time the resort operated in the black (meaning, that was the one time of year it was profitable)?

Universal is counting on that to happen again.
I’m not arguing with you here, I’m arguing with Wall Street earnings culture... but they needed it then. They don’t *need* it now.

Remember how, during the aughts, HHN was the only time the resort operated in the black (meaning, that was the one time of year it was profitable)?

Its-True.gif

I’m not arguing with you here, I’m arguing with Wall Street earnings culture... but they needed it then. They don’t *need* it now.
Maybe on a macro level, they don’t need it. On a micro level, I’m hearing the resort isn’t exactly setting the books on fire right now. And a lot of the decision makers for the park now are the same decision makers it was then. They were conditioned to look at a bank sheet in the red and say, “Put everything on HHN.”

I’m hearing their bank sheets are in the red. So...

Maybe on a macro level, they don’t need it. On a micro level, I’m hearing the resort isn’t exactly setting the books on fire right now. And a lot of the decision makers for the park now are the same decision makers it was then. They were conditioned to look at a bank sheet in the red and say, “Put everything on HHN.”

I’m hearing their bank sheets are in the red. So...
I mean, any sane person knew that when the parks reopened, they were likely relying on locals and thus operating in the red once they opened. But to get back to where we were, they have to struggle through this time so they can be rolling in the deep again.

I'm hearing the same thing. Cuts are being made for scareactors and effects, but the event as a whole, especially from the marketing side is revving up right now.

Disneyland events are aimed at kids....if ONE just one kid dies from going to Disney and getting Candy the negative PR would be insane.
HHN is for teens and adults and no touching has always been a rule so, think its a very different beast.

Also with Disney no having said event some adults/teens might go to this as the only way to celebrate Halloween in the parks

Reactions: londonwerecat
Also with Disney no having said event some adults/teens might go to this as the only way to celebrate Halloween in the parks
1523FA92-264E-4D81-869F-815EAB19D370.png
The teens/adults that do MNSSHP do it because they can wear full costumes, see once a year shows and parades, and do meet and greets with rare characters that only come out for that event.

The teens/adults that go to HHN want to get scared and laugh at their friends getting scared.

They’re, for the most part, two completely different demographics.

As a hardcore theater kid, this would be the scariest house and a full blown nightmare for me. I love it.
YES!!!

I'm a Junior and Thespian, and hearing a haunted theater house sounds absolutely perfect (especially with it going in Sprung 1).

Also, can I just say, with what we're hearing about Eilish, it has gone from the very bottom of my anticipation, and now slowly rising towards the top.

• Love
Reactions: SirAustin77
Status
Not open for further replies.