The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 400 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, there’s actually ways to enforce measures that mitigate spread in a haunted house. In the end, despite the people around you, and haunted house is a strictly individual experience. That’s fair less doable with parades and firework shows, which are communal.

Haunted house can pulse so that only one or two parties are in the house at a time, and remove surfaces that guests frequently touch. Scareactor positions can be replaced with automated effects and puppets to make sure guest and actor remain socially distant. These are things Universal can do that limit potential spread (things we know they’re doing), and they can proactively enforce with minimal negative impact to the event experience.

Outdoor events like fireworks and parades are a different beast. Disney would have to put social distancing marks, large enough for groups of three to six people, throughout the length of the parade routes and the entirety of Main Street so guests “know” where to stand, then have CMs walking through during the parade/show to enforce. That’s if they want to do it right. The scale of Meet and greets literally require engagement within 6 feet (otherwise, what’s the point), and there is no way to sanitize costumes between guests interactions.
But the vectors at WDW are increasingly looking like less risky ones. Experts are, more and more, downplaying the dangers of the disease transmitting via surfaces like character suits (still a risk, though). Stories coming out today reinforce what we’ve seen, which is that the protests - huge outdoor gatherings - are not causing spikes, which is in line with a lot of recent research showing the virus doesn’t spread nearly as readily outdoors, even in crowds.

What is very risky and looking riskier every day is indoor spaces with recycled air - like a haunted house. I’m sure we’ve all seen the diagrams of how the illness spread to every corner of a restaurant or workplace via the air conditioner. You can pulse people, even though that will force a lot fewer admissions which will cut into the bottom line that is the rationale for the event in the first place, but the twisty, confined nature of mazes means you will still have lots of folks breathing the same air. I mean, if there’s one thing that I associate with HHN mazes it’s that big blast of air conditioning right as you enter. And on a more minor note, research on the dangers of yelling means the scare actors will have to use external noise makers.

Last edited:
Reactions: londonwerecat
But the vectors at WDW are increasingly looking like less risky ones. Experts are, more and more, downplaying the dangers of the disease transmitting via surfaces like character suits (still a risk, though). Stories coming out today reinforce what we’ve seen, which is that the protests - huge outdoor gatherings - are not causing spikes, which is in line with a lot of recent research showing the virus doesn’t spread nearly as readily outdoors, even in crowds.

What is very risky and looking riskier every day is indoor spaces with recycled air - like a haunted house. I’m sure we’ve all seen the diagrams of how the illness spread to every corner of a restaurant or workplace via the air conditioner. You can pulse people, even though that will force a lot fewer admissions which will cut into the bottom line that is the rationale for the event in the first place, but the twisty, confined nature of mazes means you will still have lots of folks breathing the same air. And research on the dangers of yelling means the scare actors will have to use external noise makers.

Again, Universal will implement whatever they see fit to help reduce as much danger as possible with the event. If you don't feel safe even with those systems in place, common sense would dictate you won't be attending, which is fine and who knows where I'll fall when the time comes.

But arguing whether or not the event should happen is fruitless. It is going to happen unless the pandemic takes a sharp turn for the much worse or the CDC or some other accomplished body comes forward and tells them not to hold the event. As it stands I personally don't see either happening, as much of an outsider and non-medical expert as I am.

It makes sense. with TCM the actors can socially distance since they're gonna be holding chainsaws, and the chainsaws can act as a barrier of sort preventing guests from getting too close to the actors.

What is very risky and looking riskier every day is indoor spaces with recycled air - like a haunted house. I’m sure we’ve all seen the diagrams of how the illness spread to every corner of a restaurant or workplace via the air conditioner. You can pulse people, even though that will force a lot fewer admissions which will cut into the bottom line that is the rationale for the event in the first place, but the twisty, confined nature of mazes means you will still have lots of folks breathing the same air. I mean, if there’s one thing that I associate with HHN mazes it’s that big blast of air conditioning right as you enter. And on a more minor note, research on the dangers of yelling means the scare actors will have to use external noise makers.
maybe why we are having TCM this year as opposed to a different year?
Nearly every scare in a house uses an external noisemaker or e-prom. The few scares that don’t use them are meant to not require them (meaning an appearance scare rather than full startle).

The only scares that require vocalizations of the performers are streets (and barkers, which are a different beast). We don’t even know if the streets will have that type of scare this year, and noisemakers aren’t a new phenomena in the streets.

Nearly every scare in a house uses an external noisemaker or e-prom. The few scares that don’t use them are meant to not require them (meaning an appearance scare rather than full startle).

The only scares that require vocalizations of the performers are streets (and barkers, which are a different beast). We don’t even know if the streets will have that type of scare this year, and noisemakers aren’t a new phenomena in the streets.
Yeah, it was silly of me to say. The bigger issue is guests screaming in mazes.

They’re going to have to drastically cut scare actors in houses, not only because of house design but because of break space. You’re backstage in close proximity with a couple dozen people. They’d have to reduce that by at least 1/3 to maintain 6 feet social distancing.

I can’t understand the logic of them wanting to blow all their material under these circumstance. You have Eilish, a huge draw, during a time with mandatory capacity limitations. Makes zero sense.

They’re going to have to drastically cut scare actors in houses, not only because of house design but because of break space. You’re backstage in close proximity with a couple dozen people. They’d have to reduce that by at least 1/3 to maintain 6 feet social distancing.

I can’t understand the logic of them wanting to blow all their material under these circumstance. You have Eilish, a huge draw, during a time with mandatory capacity limitations. Makes zero sense.
The agreements probably expire at some predetermined point and could very well be a use it or lose it situation with the fees paid already.

Plus, Uni is trying it's best to make this year seem as normal as possibly can be. If they shifted to 100% originals (which they'd have to design in a short timeframe vs what they've been working on for months already), it may signal to consumer this is a different and potentially lesser year in the exact time they need people coming.

I understand we’re grasping at straws for anything to talk about, but we’re moving back Into “will it or will it not” territory

Agreed. Let's keep the focus on speculation on what might come to Horror Nights. There's some wiggle room in theorizing how the event could change in response to COVID-19 (and it almost assuredly will, in some capacity), but the "it's not going to happen" talk isn't productive. According to Universal, the event is happening.

Someone talks about why Universal should shutdown outside of the thread that's specifically designed for it's discussion, nobody bats an eye.

People talk about their dream IPs outside of the wishlist thread, everyone loses their minds.

It's here. This is the place you want to be:

Status
Not open for further replies.