The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 485 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the off chance that the event does have to scrap a IP is there even enough time to modify the house to be something else or would they just open the event with less then 10 houses?

Billie is universal music tho so that could be safe I’d be more worried about hill house and beetlejuice
My impression is that Eilish is big enough that Universal wouldn't risk upsetting her and her team over an HHN maze.

I wish HHN had The Stand this year, just to make things really awkward.

On the off chance that the event does have to scrap a IP is there even enough time to modify the house to be something else or would they just open the event with less then 10 houses?
What they could do is: Remove any references to that specific IP that got scrapped, and they could say that its an original heavily inspired by the IP that got scarpped

I’m most concerned about Hill House and Texas Chainsaw, I think Beetlejuice at the very least will be available another year, and Billie Eilish I could care less about
Hasn't Texas Chainsaw been a frequent house at HHN? Twice in Orlando (not counting this year) and three times in Hollywood?

What they could do is: Remove any references to that specific IP that got scrapped, and they could say that its an original heavily inspired by the IP that got scarpped
I get that it worked for scream and conjuring but I was picturing something like beetlejuice that has a extremely distinct art style and set pieces

Depends on how intwined any of the IP’s iconography is in the house’s construction.

But, there would be incentive for Universal to just cut the house (if it happens). No cast or staff to pay for. No damage to house so it’s pristine for next year (assuming they can still use the IP).

If I was involved, I’d argue to just do 9 houses. The year is already a wash for the most part.

Depends on how intwined any of the IP’s iconography is in the house’s construction.

But, there would be incentive for Universal to just cut the house (if it happens). No cast or staff to pay for. No damage to house so it’s pristine for next year (assuming they can still use the IP).

If I was involved, I’d argue to just do 9 houses. The year is already a wash for the most part.
Do you know if universal usually has a back up plan for if IPs fall through? Or when a property holder last chance to pull out is?

also as far as the whole Billie name being connected to the event backlash depending on how the house is set up and what it is like if they don’t straight up call the house BILLIE EILISH and maybe something like (title of house): inspired by Billie eilish that could help some. Will it have the same effect as BILLIE EILISH HOUSE? No. But the event doesn’t wanna bring tons of guests this year and if next year is a repeat of IPs then they could just rename the house BILLIE EILISH and then bring in the masses that they were hoping to this year

Last edited:
Do you know if universal usually has a back up plan for if IPs fall through? Or when a property holder last chance to pull out is?
Again, it all depends. We’ve seen them adjust to IP pulls before, but they’ve had more time in the past and the IPs that were pulled took place in fairly nondescript urban/suburban environments. None of this year’s IPs have that flexibility—except Eillish.

The houses are essentially done at this point. They’re doing decor and tech stuff now. If a distinctive IP pulls out tomorrow, and the IP holder doesn’t authorize them to just do an “inspired by” riff, they’d have 6 weeks to basically remove and replace the obvious aspects of the house—which includes costumes.

I'd point out that Beetlejuice is probably safe. Universal already holds theme park rights for the character (remember, he's a walk-around, he's had his own show for decades + a handful of street performances over the years).

I would be VERY concerned about Billie. Maybe less so re: Netflix, and I'd assume Texas Chainsaw is a non-factor.

It’s predominantly “original” already, so...
Sorry y’all didn’t get much sleep last night so I’m trynna understand this all, so nothing DID get removed yet right? We’re just kinda speaking in hypotheticals?

EDIT- Ah ok so it’s just Billie has a good chance of pulling out now. That’s real unfortunate, I was looking forward to that house. Let’s hope that there’s a sliver lining and she ends up staying!

Billie happens to be extremely involved with world issues too. At one of the shows I went to of hers, she partnered with Uber Eats and the only food available was vegan food, no meat sold. Her fans are also the kind to be young and vocal on social media and sharing petition links and stuff. I feel like if it gets announced people in the music biz would give her backlash just for promoting something during a pandemic where every single major tour and festival has been canceled/postponed.

Sorry y’all didn’t get much sleep last night so I’m trynna understand this all, so nothing DID get removed yet right? We’re just kinda speaking in hypotheticals?

EDIT- Ah ok so it’s just Billie has a good chance of pulling out now. That’s real unfortunate, I was looking forward to that house. Let’s hope that there’s a sliver lining and she ends up staying!
I think it’s just how they market the house that could make a big difference. Hopefully everything works out because rn Billie is my most anticipated house and the only house that is a absolute must do for me other then icons

Status
Not open for further replies.