Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You can bet that AMC will play those movies, they'll just try and get a higher percentage from Universal. Universal needs the largest theater chain in America to be alive and on their side. If AMC doesn't show Universal's movies, they make significantly less money.

Unless they release them on PVOD in response, which is a strategy that will apparently work for some films.

Seriously - speaking as someone in the industry - theaters have barely any leverage in making demands. The opposite is happening, in fact - studios are siphoning MORE percentage grosses from theaters for their biggest franchises. I don't think Universal will blink when they've already got AMC backed into a corner.

You can bet that AMC will play those movies, they'll just try and get a higher percentage from Universal. Universal needs the largest theater chain in America to be alive and on their side. If AMC doesn't show Universal's movies, they make significantly less money.
AMC will absolutely Not turn away from Minions, Fast, Jurassic, and the Blumhouse movies. This is an empty bluff where they have 0 leverage

I don’t get this “last minute” business, since the theatres were closing anyways?
Every other film that was supposed to come out postponed release. Trolls simply said "we going to VOD". Universal didn't talk to the theaters about the move at all like every other studio has about moves to VOD.

That's what I mean. The theaters were expecting a film that was promoted to be a theatrical release to stay a theatrical release and were blindsided by the move. If Universal just had some real conversations with them about it, I highly doubt AMC or the theaters are mad.

AMC will absolutely Not turn away from Minions, Fast, Jurassic, and the Blumhouse movies. This is an empty bluff where they have 0 leverage
I don't think they turn them away, no. I think they jack up Universal's price if Universal wants to show a movie in their theaters. I'd put money on them trying.

When Universal released Trolls those weeks past, my bro who is an executive with one of the mid level studios, said the theaters are pi_ _ ed off and Universal will for sure be retaliated against for this move. So not unexpected.and it's not just AMC. ....Yes, the theaters don't have a whole lot of leverage, but with a ton of movies delayed and vying for the same screens in the next year, Universal may well get 'less screens' than they would normally have.

Last edited:
Every other film that was supposed to come out postponed release. Trolls simply said "we going to VOD". Universal didn't talk to the theaters about the move at all like every other studio has about moves to VOD.

That's what I mean. The theaters were expecting a film that was promoted to be a theatrical release to stay a theatrical release and were blindsided by the move. If Universal just had some real conversations with them about it, I highly doubt AMC or the theaters are mad.
Idk I guess I get it but, was AMC expecting Trolls to rake it in?

Also, the timing of this is weird and clearly a reaction to it doing well. If they made this stance right after Universal announced I’d have more sympathy, but, since they’re making it now after Universal has succeeded it’s incredibly petty. Disappointing to say the least.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
It's about respect.
We will not show these 3 Billion dollar films....no sir. Because you let Trolls 2 get away...

I get AMC wish they got a talking to but in the end Disney put onwards on Disneyplus and Scoop is coming out in VOD...so really who cares in the end Troll would have done the same thing if they told them or not

Reactions: Lucky Planet
I don't think they turn them away, no. I think they jack up Universal's price if Universal wants to show a movie in their theaters. Dead serious.

Respectfully, that isn't how it works. Studios tend to dictate terms of distribution. Disney has gotten in hot water by dictating absurd percentages (as much as 100% for opening weekend gross in some cases) and insane screen requirements (using 60% of available screens, etc.). AMC can't just be like "in response to you making $100 million without us, we demand 20% more of the take." They'd be laughed out of the room.

Idk I guess I get it but, was AMC expecting Trolls to rake it in?

Also, the timing of this is weird and clearly a reaction to it doing well. If they made this stance right after Universal announced I’d have more sympathy, but, since they’re making it now after Universal has succeeded it’s incredibly petty. Disappointing to say the least.
They did make a stance like this after universal announced the move. March 20th.

"Exhibitors will not forget this"

AMC needed outside help to withstand this. I think they will be the first to cave if Universal laughs in their face.

Respectfully, that isn't how it works. Studios tend to dictate terms of distribution. Disney has gotten in hot water by dictating absurd percentages (as much as 100% for opening weekend gross in some cases) and insane screen requirements (using 60% of available screens, etc.). AMC can't just be like "in response to you making $100 million without us, we demand 20% more of the take." They'd be laughed out of the room.
That's how it normally works, yes. But if you wanna show a film in their theaters and they're pissed at you, you're not playing by normal terms anymore.

Reactions: Mad Dog
They did make a stance like this after universal announced the move. March 20th.

"Exhibitors will not forget this"

Okay fair enough, haven’t seen that before.

Still, AMC literally has no leverage here so I don’t understand this. From a personal standpoint sure but business wise this makes no sense.

Okay fair enough, haven’t seen that before.

Still, AMC literally has no leverage here so I don’t understand this. From a personal standpoint sure but business wise this makes no sense.
Let's say Cinemark, Regal and other big theater chains around the US follow AMC in this stance. Who has the leverage now? Because at that point, Universal isn't getting shown in a single major theater. The theater owners don't mess around and never have.

I'm not saying they will, but IF the theaters stand together, then Universal is forced to play by their rules to be shown in theaters. It's not like there will be a lack of big movies next year either.

Let's say Cinemark, Regal and other big theater chains around the US follow AMC in this stance. Who has the leverage now? Because at that point, Universal isn't getting shown in a single major theater. The theater owners don't mess around and never have.

I'm not saying they will, but IF the theaters stand together, then Universal is forced to play by their rules to be shown in theaters. It's not like there will be a lack of big movies next year either.
sounds like collusion

Ya that’s fair, I just don’t see it. F&F9, Minions and Jurassic World are just as valuable as most things coming out next year, I don’t see this lasting.

Ya that’s fair, I just don’t see it. F&F9, Minions and Jurassic World are just as valuable as most things coming out next year, I don’t see this lasting.
In all likelihood they do kiss and make up. I'm just trying to be a voice in support of the theaters here because I don't think this is AMC being reactionary or anything. I think they have very valid reasons for being mad. This is almost a fulfillment of a promise by the theater owners from when they said "Exhibitors will not forget this".

In all likelihood they do kiss and make up. I'm just trying to be a voice in support of the theaters here because I don't think this is AMC being reactionary or anything. I think they have very valid reasons for being mad. This is almost a fulfillment of a promise by the theater owners from when they said "Exhibitors will not forget this".
Idk I mean hey I’m an AMC A-lister like I’m kinda invested in the company but I just don’t like this. Universal May have been quick but they wanted to be on top of things in a crisis. Bold but I get it. I just don’t understand what AMC is saying here but you’re right they’ll likely make up. If not I’m loving Peacock so they can put their films on their for a small charge and I’d for the most part be okay although if I can see Jurassic World in a theatre I’d really love to of course.