Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread | Page 50 | Inside Universal Forums

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Alright - I guess I will finally go to a movie theater on July 9th.

Ain’t paying $30 and a lesser home viewing experience instead of $16 for an Dolby showing.
16 bucks? In CA its like 25+ at least in LA

Also got A-list again going to watch Raya, Tom Hanks cowboy film and Nobody in the next week...so pays for this month

Reactions: HalfGlass

Also got A-list again going to watch Raya, Tom Hanks cowboy film and Nobody in the next week...so pays for this month
Yessir - 16 bucks where I live in FL. But resubscribing to A list might make the most sense.

Geez. I could go to a luxury theater and have dinner + ticket near me for a little over $25 :lol:

If I want to save some money though, I could go to $5 matinees or $8.50 regular showings in some Cinemark or AMC theaters. It's why I love the theater experience because for me, I can make it as cheap or as expensive as I want to.

Reactions: belloq87
Geez. I could go to a luxury theater and have dinner + ticket near me for a little over $25 :lol:

If I want to save some money though, I could go to $5 matinees or $8.50 regular showings in some Cinemark or AMC theaters. It's why I love the theater experience because for me, I can make it as cheap or as expensive as I want to.
Its La, everything costs more than it should.But yes Prime/Dolby are 25 bucks. Its why I got A list....one ticket can make up from the monthly fee

Reactions: HalfGlass
Well... good thing I rare feel obligated to see WB films in the theater.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Well... good thing I rare feel obligated to see WB films in the theater.

Kong Vs Godzilla is in AMC...so is it movies after this?

I will literally just ignore WB films and or....find "other" ways to watch them. If they think its cute to really put them only in on chain for a time period, then hope they like making less money.

Reactions: WAJAS
I don't think it's going to be exclusively at Regal. That would be dumb. I think it's just the first deal they struck with a chain that says they'll keep it in theaters for a 45 day minimum before it can move on to streaming/VOD.

What I assume is, that going forward after 2021, Warner Bros. Pictures is adapting directly to the same theatrical window that Paramount/Viacom has set in stone--45 days theatrical, then go to PVOD/Digital services after. This won't mean that films will exclusively be shown; its to ensure that there can be success on a theatrical scale.

Reactions: RevFreako
Guys, a deal with one theater chain does not mean they're not gonna make deals with other chains.

45 day minimum is a dream come true for theaters but I doubt it'll stick when there's so much distributor pressure to collapse the window.

Reactions: Tristan
Guys, a deal with one theater chain does not mean they're not gonna make deals with other chains.

45 day minimum is a dream come true for theaters but I doubt it'll stick when there's so much distributor pressure to collapse the window.
I just think the market should decide.

I love theaters got AMC A-list again and seen 3 movies within the first week but let people have choices. Some films really...really don't need to be seen on big screen like A24 Films...love them to death but you can be just as impacted watching 8th grade, Lady Bird or The Farewell.
While I think Kong vs Godzilla is better on the big screen and especially Marvel Movies obviously you can still enjoy them (cough cough Falcon and Winter Solider/Wanda Vision) So for me I'm fine with the choice

I will choose to see them on the big screen but get it's not everyones deal, theaters during busy times can suck. Lines, you can't get popcorn without waiting even longer, someone could be on there phone and tickets in some places are 20+ bucks. I hope AMC makes a deal if it makes them happy but just like working from home, companies need to understand some people are ready to move on.

I just think the market should decide.

I love theaters got AMC A-list again and seen 3 movies within the first week but let people have choices. Some films really...really don't need to be seen on big screen like A24 Films...love them to death but you can be just as impacted watching 8th grade, Lady Bird or The Farewell.
While I think Kong vs Godzilla is better on the big screen and especially Marvel Movies obviously you can still enjoy them (cough cough Falcon and Winter Solider/Wanda Vision) So for me I'm fine with the choice

I will choose to see them on the big screen but get it's not everyones deal, theaters during busy times can suck. Lines, you can't get popcorn without waiting even longer, someone could be on there phone and tickets in some places are 20+ bucks. I hope AMC makes a deal if it makes them happy but just like working from home, companies need to understand some people are ready to move on.
Is that A24 slander I’m reading? Nah but I honestly agree with some movies not needing the big screen.

Is that A24 slander I’m reading? Nah but I honestly agree with some movies not needing the big screen.
No A24 is like my movie crush, love those guys and think they pick really interesting projects even if sometimes like "the Lighthouse" its just not for me..but someone out there loves that film

I'm just saying some movies for sure don't need to be in theaters and even bigger marvel films while "fun" you can still have a good product without someone screaming their lungs out when Boba Ship flys in or something. A good product will work on or off the big screen.

I'm going to see Demon Slayer Movies next month....sure it will be fun but its my choice I want to see it on the big screen, I don't think everyone wants to have A-list to see films they just want to turn on Disney plus or HBO and watch what is on there.

I think it's good to keep in mind right now that the movies aren't being moved out of theaters as soon as they're put on PVOD. Consumers still have a choice to go to theaters or do SVOD or PVOD or what have you.

If there's one good bit of news to come out of Covid for theaters, it's that PVOD revenue doesn't seem to cannibalize theatrical revenue that much. The Croods: A New Age has been getting some of the best legs of the pandemic, with it regularly outperforming other movies even after it hit video on demand [source 1, 2, 3]. Stuff like Promising Young Woman and even News of the World are seeing similarly high legs, while genre movies like Come Play are getting high-for-horror legs. People want to go to theaters, even when they have the PVOD option.

I think it's good to keep in mind right now that the movies aren't being moved out of theaters as soon as they're put on PVOD. Consumers still have a choice to go to theaters or do SVOD or PVOD or what have you.

If there's one good bit of news to come out of Covid for theaters, it's that PVOD revenue doesn't seem to cannibalize theatrical revenue that much. The Croods: A New Age has been getting some of the best legs of the pandemic, with it regularly outperforming other movies even after it hit video on demand [source 1, 2, 3]. Stuff like Promising Young Woman and even News of the World are seeing similarly high legs, while genre movies like Come Play are getting high-for-horror legs. People want to go to theaters, even when they have the PVOD option.
I would assume Croods actually came out of this all in the green by a fairly decent margin all things considered. Although it did have a major advantage of being the only family film in theaters for about 2.5-3 months. From Thanksgiving all the way until Tom & Jerry and then Raya came out, it was the only family fare in theaters.

I think Disney made a big mistake by not releasing Soul in theaters domestically. They put it out on Disney+ anyway included, so it would've just given consumers another choice. But I guess the point was to use Soul as a way to grow their subscriber base since it was exclusive to the platform.

No A24 is like my movie crush, love those guys and think they pick really interesting projects even if sometimes like "the Lighthouse" its just not for me..but someone out there loves that

Lmao my twitter bio was “The Lighthouse should’ve been nominated”

Lmao my twitter bio was “The Lighthouse should’ve been nominated”
If it was filmed and acted very well...I just don't care for the substance its not a film I'd watch again like Hereditary which is more my style of Horror film.

Also I give zero craps about awards now...they are so inconstant on what should win that to me its a joke. Love King Speech but anyone and look me in the eye and tell me Social Network isn't now looked back on as the better and more impactful film? Also Oscars just make life hell for normal people and then they give speeches about saving the planet when they refuse to take public transport and fly private jets....practice what you preach and if we are all one then join the us normal.
(I'm really upset this year they want to host part of the Oscars at the Metro stop...for sure making it hell for normal people even more)

THE LIGHTHOUSE is beautifully-shot, but I found it was, overall, a step backwards for Robert Eggers after THE WITCH, which I think is one of the genre masterpieces of the last decade.

Wait, this is the Horror Movies thread, right? :lol:

To bring up Godzilla v. Kong for a moment--it's getting to the point on where, it will be beating Tenet's lifetime box office revenue.

Tenet sort of set the bar low though as far as blockbusters go. Let me know when a Hollywood film tops China’s Hi, Mom ($783.6M) or Detective Chinatown 3 (681.5M).