Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread | Page 51 | Inside Universal Forums

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Expanding to a few hundred more screens tomorrow. I'll be curious to see the final 5-day number.

Whatever the case, it's some positive growth.
Estimates have it at $35-$40M, which, for the first big film to open this year, is pretty good all things considered (especially because it’s on HBO Max as well). More and more people are getting vaccinated everyday, Regal is reopening tomorrow, and this shows a willingness among audiences to go back to the theater.

By Summer, I think the box office could be looking a lot closer to pre-pandemic levels. Or at least as close as you can get with capacity restrictions still in place.

Reactions: belloq87
I can't wait for Black Widow....just for the numbers. I feel like its going to make more than it would have pre pandemic people just want to go out and have a good time with a fun film.

Reactions: Yabbadabba Doh
I can't wait for Black Widow....just for the numbers. I feel like its going to make more than it would have pre pandemic people just want to go out and have a good time with a fun film.
I plan on getting an AMC Stubs for the Summer just based on the fact that I want to hang out with friends again and I know a lot of movies will be coming out. Most of my friends I haven't actually seen since before the pandemic too, and it gives me a chance to be out of my freakin' house. I could rent Black Widow on Premiere Access... but why? I've been sitting on my ass for a year watching stuff from home. If there's a major movie and my friends want to see it, i'll almost definitely be seeing it in theaters.

Slightly unrelated, but that's another thing is that if someone asks me if I want to do something, i'm not saying no anymore like a jackass. I've spent a lot of my life telling my friends no because i'm a homebody at heart, but after this whole thing man, screw it. I want to get out and do/see things.

I plan on getting an AMC Stubs for the Summer just based on the fact that I want to hang out with friends again and I know a lot of movies will be coming out. Most of my friends I haven't actually seen since before the pandemic too, and it gives me a chance to be out of my freakin' house. I could rent Black Widow on Premiere Access... but why? I've been sitting on my ass for a year watching stuff from home. If there's a major movie and my friends want to see it, i'll almost definitely be seeing it in theaters.

Slightly unrelated, but that's another thing is that if someone asks me if I want to do something, i'm not saying no anymore like a jackass. I've spent a lot of my life telling my friends no because i'm a homebody at heart, but after this whole thing man, screw it. I want to get out and do/see things.
I mean take ME time when you need to but yeah I have for a long time stopped saying no

I drive out to meet people..does it suck others might not drive to me? Sure but in the end of my life I'll be the one missing out on good times and adventures over pride? F that

Also I was going to wait then say a few films I'd watch and got it now....with the saw sequel next month its pretty much worth it if I see one movie in Dolby a month

Reactions: Nick and n i c k
Hopefully at the very least the Cinerama Dome will find its way back open. That theater is one of the best movie going experiences i've ever had.

Yeah I'd rather them just disappear to...lol

If a director wants to buy the unique ones fine but Pacific was never some amazing chain. AMC theaters at least around me were wayyy better
Oh, AMC would definitely be interested in these. When open, places like the Cinerama Dome and some Arc Lights are the top grossing theaters in the country and provide a unique experience. I just would hate to see that unique experience lost to being another AMC.

I hope that there’s a way to reopen under the Pacific/Arclight name and keep most of the same policies in place under new ownership. If it’s the only way for the theaters to come back, then them becoming a Regal, Cinemark, AMC, etc would be fine because at least they’d be open, but much of the unique appeal may become lost is my fear.

In the case of Cinerama, isn't it classified as a historical landmark for movie theaters? I'd have to assume someone would take over the property regardless of what happens to the parent company of Arclight.

Reactions: Nick
In the case of Cinerama, isn't it classified as a historical landmark for movie theaters? I'd have to assume someone would take over the property regardless of what happens to the parent company of Arclight.
It’s designated a Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument. I’m not worried about the dome continuing operation, I just hope the same standards are kept.

It’s designated a Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument. I’m not worried about the dome continuing operation, I just hope the same standards are kept.
And hopefully keep the 3-strip Cinerama projectors too. They were one of only 3 left. I got an opportunity to see "How The West Was Won" when the Neon Theater was doing it -- and now I understand why people travelled miles and paid top dollars to see original Cinerama shows. Even with its imperfections, it far surpassed any thing we have today.

Even in the midst of a global pandemic, theaters not being open in most of Europe, and with the movie also included with HBO Max subscription, Godzilla Vs. Kong STILL passed Godzilla: King of the Monsters at the Worldwide box office. GvK is at $390M WW and will pass $400M soon. KotM finished it's full run in a healthy marketplace at only $386M WW.

Sure, no competition helped, but this also shows that people are looking for literally any reason to get back out to theaters. People could've all stayed home and watched this on HBO Max, yet it still has a chance to pass $100M domestic and this is still early in the "back to normal" phase at the theatrical box office since it was only just yesterday that all Adults in the US are now eligible for the Covid Vaccine.

Even in the midst of a global pandemic, theaters not being open in most of Europe, and with the movie also included with HBO Max subscription, Godzilla Vs. Kong STILL passed Godzilla: King of the Monsters at the Worldwide box office. GvK is at $390M WW and will pass $400M soon. KotM finished it's full run in a healthy marketplace at only $386M WW.

Sure, no competition helped, but this also shows that people are looking for literally any reason to get back out to theaters. People could've all stayed home and watched this on HBO Max, yet it still has a chance to pass $100M domestic and this is still early in the "back to normal" phase at the theatrical box office since it was only just yesterday that all Adults in the US are now eligible for the Covid Vaccine.

What makes that all the more astounding is it has done it with half the showings/theaters as GKOM, Europe totally closed and it doesn't have much competition for 2-3 more weeks so will easily clear $500m

Reactions: Nick
What makes that all the more astounding is it has done it with half the showings/theaters as GKOM, Europe totally closed and it doesn't have much competition for 2-3 more weeks so will easily clear $500m
With Mortal Kombat coming out and GvK starting to slow up, idk that it's hit $500M, but it'll pass $450M for sure.

Its a wierd time. Bad Boys for life was the #1 movie last year domestically. Yeah people are hungry for the movie experience but until we get back to pre-pandemic numbers there is nothing but reading the tea leaves.