Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Theatrical Future/PVOD Thread

If Sony gives up Spider-Man, then they might as well close down the studio. I can't imagine Disney meeting the price Sony would ask, especially when the current deal seems agreeable to all parties (otherwise they wouldn't have extended).

And I think there's every reason to believe SPIDEY 3 will open for the holidays as planned, as a Sony-distributed theatrical release.
At the price Sony should fetch for Spider-Man's rights, it's basically would be "Buy Spider-Man and get Sony Pictures for free." I don't think either of them are interested in that deal happening right now. Streaming rights? Sure but I don't think beyond that.

So, i'm not quite sure whether or not to spin this into it's own thread, but this subject ain't exactly dying.

Seems like things are gaining traction for a merging of NBCU and WarnerMedia.

So, i'm not quite sure whether or not to spin this into it's own thread, but this subject ain't exactly dying.

If Variety and the rest report on it we can spin-off into it's own thread. As of now it's just pure rumor as I see it.

So... say NBCU and WarnerMedia merge. Who owns what? Is it 50/50 Comcast/AT&T?

If Variety and the rest report on it we can spin-off into it's own thread. As of now it's just pure rumor as I see it.

So... say NBCU and WarnerMedia merge. Who owns what? Is it 50/50 Comcast/AT&T?

I'd assume..Comcast would have the majority? Especially if AT&T is trying to get away from the bad hands that WarnerMedia has had for a few years.

I'd assume..Comcast would have the majority? Especially if AT&T is trying to get away from the bad hands that WarnerMedia has had for a few years.
Wouldn't that be ironic if Comcast ends up with Distribution rights to DC films, but the theme park rights to Marvel in Orlando and Six Flags has the DC theme park rights.

I checked a recent Hollywood Reporter article on Investor predictions for 2021, and a merger between WarnerMedia and Universal was one of the predictions, but investors continuously predict the sale of a video game company to Disney, which Disney seems completely uninterested. In my opinion, most Hollywood investor often have their heads up their butts. A tantalizing prospect nonetheless, but just because it would give both Warner and Universal greater strength in the streaming market doesn't mean it makes financial sense. Not everything is about the streaming game investors....

Although I've long since stopped caring about consolidation due to its seeming inevitability under weak or enforced anti-trust laws, I can't lie and say that, should this somehow be a financially sound addition, it would give the parks some good IP. DC, Matrix, Godzilla/Kong, Blade Runner, Inception, Hanna-Barbera. Might allow them to use Detective Pikachu as well. You also have some properties from the pre-86 MGM holdings like Oz, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and, for Lost Continent fans and @Legacy, Clash of the Titans.

Business reporters and "insiders" love talking about mergers. Makes for attractive article headlines.

I don't think there's really much traction there.
Neither do I. Especially if it's a weird merger like this where Comcast and AT&T would be merging divisions of their companies with each other, but they would both own or something like that? It would be unprecedented for such large studios.

Funny I said that a few weeks ago and people said I was crazy.

Comcast and Sony back in 2004 owned MGM. Two companies owning a studio/studios isn't unprecedented, however for it to work they have to have the same goals in the longtime.

Funny I said that a few weeks ago and people said I was crazy.

Comcast and Sony back in 2004 owned MGM. Two companies owning a studio/studios isn't unprecedented, however for it to work they have to have the same goals in the longtime.
I said major studio. MGM has never been anything more than a mid-major.

Hopefully for the last time.

This will officially be the longest gap between films in the franchise's history if it moves beyond summer. Post-Craig, they really need to get back to making these movies faster.

Also, moving to November sets up a Bond vs. M:I standoff. Plus Marvel's got November 5th locked up.

Hopefully for the last time.

This will officially be the longest gap between films in the franchise's history if it moves beyond summer. Post-Craig, they really need to get back to making these movies faster.

Also, moving to November sets up a Bond vs. M:I standoff. Plus Marvel's got November 5th locked up.
M:I honestly may film anyway since it's still filming and honestly who knows if it'll finish on time or if it'll have to shut down for COVID between now and then. Making a movie is not easy to begin with and making one during COVID is a nightmare.

Meanwhile, Bond is ready to go.

I have to say, while I was originally skeptical of it, Universal's 17-day and then PVOD approach is the best any studio currently has. They get to keep making money off of their movies in theaters while at the same time charging $19.99 for PVOD rentals.

For Comparison, The Croods 2 has been much more successful financially than Wonder Woman 1984 imo. Wonder Woman 1984 and Croods 2 have done almost identical box office both Domestically and Internationally with WW84 bringing in $35.8M domestic and a Worldwide total of $142.5M. The Croods 2 has done better domestically with $40.1M, but slightly worse Worldwide with $134.8M. The main difference though, is that WW84 is bas on HBO Max for $14.99, along with a lot of other content for that $14.99 value. Croods 2 has performed amazing on PVOD at $19.99 as a rental, bringing in an estimated $20M as of late December. Universal keeps 80% of that, splitting with AMC.

While WW84 and their other movie premieres will help to drive subscriptions to HBO Max, Universal seems to have the best Covid-era business plan.

P
I have to say, while I was originally skeptical of it, Universal's 17-day and then PVOD approach is the best any studio currently has. They get to keep making money off of their movies in theaters while at the same time charging $19.99 for PVOD rentals.

For Comparison, The Croods 2 has been much more successful financially than Wonder Woman 1984 imo. Wonder Woman 1984 and Croods 2 have done almost identical box office both Domestically and Internationally with WW84 bringing in $35.8M domestic and a Worldwide total of $142.5M. The Croods 2 has done better domestically with $40.1M, but slightly worse Worldwide with $134.8M. The main difference though, is that WW84 is bas on HBO Max for $14.99, along with a lot of other content for that $14.99 value. Croods 2 has performed amazing on PVOD at $19.99 as a rental, bringing in an estimated $20M as of late December. Universal keeps 80% of that, splitting with AMC.

While WW84 and their other movie premieres will help to drive subscriptions to HBO Max, Universal seems to have the best Covid-era business plan.

Promising Young Woman is doing even better than expected and still going strong in theaters

Some important data changes today:

Cinderella moves from February to July 16th 2021
No Time to Die moves from April to Oct 8th, 2021
Antlers dated for October 9th 2021
Last Night in Soho moves from April to October 22nd, 2021
Ghostbusters Afterlife moves from June to November 11th,
Nightmare Alley dated for December 3rd 2021
Uncharted moves from July 16th to February 11th, 2022.