Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 100 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking a guess that a lot of those 1,000 are room service positions. When the new position is "we clean the room once then let it sit a day" no need for tons of staff to clean rooms daily.

Disney has been smart to not open very many, but I now imagine a scenario where many don’t open for a few years now.

Port Orleans French Quarter closed for about 7 months after 9/11. I don't think any resorts closed during the great recession. Once tourism from foreign countries is allowed again (as in they are allowed to come here, not that we'll allow them in) I fully expect resorts to fully reopen.

Taking a guess that a lot of those 1,000 are room service positions. When the new position is "we clean the room once then let it sit a day" no need for tons of staff to clean rooms daily.

Port Orleans French Quarter closed for about 7 months after 9/11. I don't think any resorts closed during the great recession. Once tourism from foreign countries is allowed again (as in they are allowed to come here, not that we'll allow them in) I fully expect resorts to fully reopen.

I mean.

All predictions, based on best case scenario, is not really eradicating the virus/vaccinating enough people across the world for heard immunity until maybe late ‘21 early ‘22... so being realistic, full tourism can resume by then, and then it will take time to recover. So I do expect full recovery to take several years here.

I mean.

All predictions, based on best case scenario, is not really eradicating the virus/vaccinating enough people across the world for heard immunity until maybe late ‘21 early ‘22... so being realistic, full tourism can resume by then, and then it will take time to recover. So I do expect full recovery to take several years here.

Non-essential travel restrictions are being lifted as we speak between a lot of countries. Vaccinations or herd immunity are not required for that. I just don't know what to say to people who are expecting this to be bad for years and years.

Non-essential travel restrictions are being lifted as we speak between a lot of countries. Vaccinations or herd immunity are not required for that. I just don't know what to say to people who are expecting this to be bad for years and years.

I don’t think restrictions fully matter. Many may be lifted, but as long as there is a virus threat travel won’t be the same as it was, unless it comes out that there is nothing that can be done, then we see.

So went on the LA Metro today for the first time since the pandemic

My trip from Universal station to Hollywood was good not many people..on my way back much more crowded and some without masks....like my god how hard is it to have a mask at this point?

Hollywood Blvd looks like they repraved some of the street, they should do more while everything is closed.

Also Miniso on Hollywood Blvd had a great selection of Marvel themed items and they are all very fairly prices...got 3 items for 30 bucks...would have paid 20 just for the cup if it was the same item but at a Disney store.

^Jeezy Joseph Mary, I had to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me and that the line for Soarin' really was starting on the upper floor. The logistics of that boggles my mind. Did they have markings on the stairs and what happens to the person in a wheelchair?

This is wild. I would’ve assumed that the Poly was one of the most likely hotels to stay open.

I wonder if we’ll see Disney close hotels along every price point like Universal did. Disney might just close Deluxe hotels
I’m no economic guru, but wouldn’t it be a cool incentive to boost hotel bookings if they offered cheaper stays at some of their deluxe resorts for the next x amount of months, rather than just shutting it down?

Gotta imagine there’s a market of locals who would love to do a mini staycation at a place like Polynesian, but they don’t want to pay $600+ a night.

Reactions: n i c k
The Poly is 50 years old and has MANY problems that have had bandaids applied for years now. They took advantage of a bad situation to finally fix things. I know the monorail station is falling apart, and that alone would require closing the Great Ceremonial House since the entrance is beneath it. Those guests who wanted to stay there can easily be upgraded to the Contemporary or Grand Flo.

They took advantage of a bad situation to finally fix things. I know the monorail station is falling apart, and that alone would require closing the Great Ceremonial House since the entrance is beneath it.
While they're at it, how bout they use this time to fix the entire Monorail system.

Reactions: Grabnar
The Poly is 50 years old and has MANY problems that have had bandaids applied for years now. They took advantage of a bad situation to finally fix things. I know the monorail station is falling apart, and that alone would require closing the Great Ceremonial House since the entrance is beneath it. Those guests who wanted to stay there can easily be upgraded to the Contemporary or Grand Flo.

How's the Contemporary structurally? It seems like it'd be a bit stronger in design yet harder to repair.

Yeah, might as well make lemonade with the lemons and keep it shut while they take their time redoing the rooms. Not that they have the money to do it, but a full bulldoze and rebuild of the Great Ceremonial House would be amazing.

How's the Contemporary structurally? It seems like it'd be a bit stronger in design yet harder to repair.
The south wing is absolute garbage - it’s probably in worse shape than the tower on the whole.

Reactions: randompixel
Contemporary as far as I know is STRUCTURALLY sound, but the plumbing and other systems are all showing their age. If you're ever in the Monorail station at the Contemporary look over at the windows-- there's always at least one room that's leaking water into the floor below. Pipes only last so long, and they're just wearing out with age. I know that the Contemporary had to install a boiler a couple of years ago because the co-generation steam pipes from the RCES plant behind MK had deteriorated over time.

As for the Monorail, the current situation with the EPCOT line closed and reduced daily hours actually means the trains are getting some much needed work. Having 9, 10, or 11 of the 12 trains running every day for almost 20 hours a day meant little to no preventative maintenance could be done. Having 3-4 trains out of service each day and 8 hours of downtime each night means they can fix things at long last.

Contemporary as far as I know is STRUCTURALLY sound, but the plumbing and other systems are all showing their age. If you're ever in the Monorail station at the Contemporary look over at the windows-- there's always at least one room that's leaking water into the floor below. Pipes only last so long, and they're just wearing out with age. I know that the Contemporary had to install a boiler a couple of years ago because the co-generation steam pipes from the RCES plant behind MK had deteriorated over time.

As for the Monorail, the current situation with the EPCOT line closed and reduced daily hours actually means the trains are getting some much needed work. Having 9, 10, or 11 of the 12 trains running every day for almost 20 hours a day meant little to no preventative maintenance could be done. Having 3-4 trains out of service each day and 8 hours of downtime each night means they can fix things at long last.
Hopefully they ARE using this time for increased maintenance and not just parking the trains to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.