Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 42 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same. My best memories are empty parks pre-hurricane.

Having an empty VB and Diagonal Alley along with riding it out at the contemporary during Irma was my favorite experience at the parks ever.

This is very different and it’s hard to pin down exactly why.
The best time I ever had at Magic Kingdom was in 2009 during the recession. Did everything I wanted without the hassle of waiting.

Same. My best memories are empty parks pre-hurricane.

Having an empty VB and Diagonal Alley along with riding it out at the contemporary during Irma was my favorite experience at the parks ever.

This is very different and it’s hard to pin down exactly why.
probably the masks and social distancing. Seems it would give the experience an antiseptic experimental lab type feel.....Heck, even here where the state's emergency order requires everyone in a supermarket to wear a mask, the mood is eerily quiet and out of this world feel to it when you're in the supermarket. As soon as you go out to the parking lot and most everyone takes their masks off and talks to one another, it seems normal world again. .This safety stuff is pretty far from normal and unlike anything experienced in western countries during our lifetimes. People are creatures of habit, and this is not their habit.

Last edited:
Wait, those two rides were the ONLY things open ride wise?
So wait, the only two things to do in the park were Mako and Kraken or those were the only coasters running?

Edit: forgot to hit send and got beaten to the punch :lol:

Pretty sure, I left before noon, so maybe things changed later on. It also was weird because Manta said 25, but it was roped off and there was no attendant there. Never saw it run. Antarctica said 0 for riders and 30 for non-riders, long queue line, pretty sure the ride was not open. Wild Arctic said animal exhibit open, but ride closed. Went through Turtle Trek, exhibit was open but the theater was closed. Journey To Atlantis and Infinity Falls both closed completely, did not even have water running. Not sure about Sesame Street, I know some rides were running there but not sure if all of them were. Stingray lagoon was sealed off too. Not sure if you could walk up to the dolphins.

To be honest it was rather sad, but then since it was Seaworld I had low expectations lol. And on a good day seaworld is already slow at dispatching its rides, so now ... Was going to wait for Mako, but after a minute decided to get out of line, with no fans on, I did not feel like just standing there in the heat. Also seemed like most of the stores were closed. Most people wore masks, though you did see more maskless people than in Universal. In front of the turnstiles it also was the usual heap of people.

Seems they really rushed to get open, hopefully they'll get better at it. They probably lack a lot of employees at the moment too. I feel bad for people who paid for a ticket.

Pretty sure, I left before noon, so maybe things changed later on. It also was weird because Manta said 25, but it was roped off and there was no attendant there. Never saw it run. Antarctica said 0 for riders and 30 for non-riders, long queue line, pretty sure the ride was not open. Wild Arctic said animal exhibit open, but ride closed. Went through Turtle Trek, exhibit was open but the theater was closed. Journey To Atlantis and Infinity Falls both closed completely, did not even have water running. Not sure about Sesame Street, I know some rides were running there but not sure if all of them were. Stingray lagoon was sealed off too. Not sure if you could walk up to the dolphins.

To be honest it was rather sad, but then since it was Seaworld I had low expectations lol. And on a good day seaworld is already slow at dispatching its rides, so now ... Was going to wait for Mako, but after a minute decided to get out of line, with no fans on, I did not feel like just standing there in the heat. Also seemed like most of the stores were closed. Most people wore masks, though you did see more maskless people than in Universal. In front of the turnstiles it also was the usual heap of people.

Seems they really rushed to get open, hopefully they'll get better at it. They probably lack a lot of employees at the moment too. I feel bad for people who paid for a ticket.
Thanks for this ... kinda sounds like they’re just trying to get the annual pass monthly payments rolling again, probably at the direction of that private equity clown who is calling the shots.

Thanks for this ... kinda sounds like they’re just trying to get the annual pass monthly payments rolling again, probably at the direction of that private equity clown who is calling the shots.
We still had to pay for annual pass while the park was closed, but now that they are open again we don't have to pay for 3 months. But yeah, I think your reasoning is correct, they probably thought the longer we stay closed the more free months we have to give away ...

Reactions: SeventyOne
Anyone in IOA today (Saturday) to confirm crowds?....For the first time since they've reopened, I'm seeing some longer attraction line times on the Touring Plans Universal app. ....Perhaps it's not a ghost town today.

Anyone in IOA today (Saturday) to confirm crowds?....For the first time since they've reopened, I'm seeing some longer attraction line times on the Touring Plans Universal app. ....Perhaps it's not a ghost town today.
We didn’t go today but it’s been gradually getting busier and busier every day. The difference between yesterday (Friday) and Tuesday was night and day. The empty park pics have brought in more crowds and the current queues with distancing can’t really handle it.

Volcano Bay was roughly 3x more crowded than when we went Wednesday. Krakatau and drop slide both had decent waits (30+ mins) whereas before they were ride now.
In the afternoon, Popeyes was spilling outside the entrance and Hagrids was spilled into lost continent yesterday. And when they don’t have markings or actual queues, distancing gets much smaller than 6’. Because if you leave too much space and someone slips in; in typical theme park fashion.

Reactions: Mad Dog
We didn’t go today but it’s been gradually getting busier and busier every day. The difference between yesterday (Friday) and Tuesday was night and day. The empty park pics have brought in more crowds and the current queues with distancing can’t really handle it.

Volcano Bay was roughly 3x more crowded than when we went Wednesday. Krakatau and drop slide both had decent waits (30+ mins) whereas before they were ride now.
In the afternoon, Popeyes was spilling outside the entrance and Hagrids was spilled into lost continent yesterday. And when they don’t have markings or actual queues, distancing gets much smaller than 6’. Because if you leave too much space and someone slips in; in typical theme park fashion.
How's hotel occupancy now. Has it increased since the day you arrived? I would think that's a key indicator.

How's hotel occupancy now. Has it increased since the day you arrived? I would think that's a key indicator.
I’m headed to airport so can’t ask but when I checked in they said it was going to be closer to 15-16% on the weekend (up from 12%). She said primarily from locals- so that number could be higher from Tuesday when I asked.
There were about 8 families in line when I was leaving at noon compared to me being the only person when I arrived at 1pm Tuesday.

I’ll see if I can find occupancy numbers for today since I have a friend who also checked in today.

I'm seeing pictures of lots of people ignoring mask rules at the water parks. Is this matching what everyone else is seeing?

Masks seem so much harder to enforce at water parks. Take the mask off for the slide, put it right back on when you get off the slide. I just can't see it being enforced

Reactions: Journey_On
I'm seeing pictures of lots of people ignoring mask rules at the water parks. Is this matching what everyone else is seeing?

Masks seem so much harder to enforce at water parks. Take the mask off for the slide, put it right back on when you get off the slide. I just can't see it being enforced
The issue is what do you do with the mask on the slide? Most people don't have waterproof pouches lying around, so if they take the mask to the slide, it just gets soaked and becomes ineffective/uncomfortable.

Not sure of any crowd numbers, but it's definitely much busier today from what I've been told. Today was supposed to be the last day of 7 PM closings before dropping back to 6 PM, but it sounds like that may change now if these crowds keep up.

Not sure of any crowd numbers, but it's definitely much busier today from what I've been told. Today was supposed to be the last day of 7 PM closings before dropping back to 6 PM, but it sounds like that may change now if these crowds keep up.
Are their goals still 7k per park?

What do you mean ignoring mask rules at the water parks?

Restaurants, entrance, exit. That’s all that’s required and was enforced strictly both days I was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.