Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread | Page 55 | Inside Universal Forums

Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The old , you can't live in your fears. It's good and wise to take safety precautions, but there's no such thing as 100% safe, so people need to continue living. There's always a chance of catching covid. As my uncle who fought combat in WW II said, and I used this comment before, "Covid is like being on the front lines in WW II. You never know when you're going to get hit". Carry on.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
IOA actually seems like they have a decent crowd today, looking at the Touring Plan app.....and considering the positive Florida cases....Universal might be the safest spot in the state....at least everyone is wearing a mask most of the time there.

Reactions: jtsalien
Surprised this took so long considering the number of outbreaks I've seen traced to FL bars and clubs.

Alcohol-centric restrictions start at noon today statewide in Texas as well.

But it’s only related to alcohol. Anyone know why they are focusing on booze now but the same places in Texas can remain open for in-house, no school dining? Interesting that these kinds of restrictions popped up in two states on the same day.

So i'm hearing that Universal is trying to pull furloughed part-timers to fill empty spots in certain departments (offering for them to change departments) as it seems that a lot of people (understandably) are unwilling to come back from furlough right now due to the rise in COVID cases. Universal is understanding of that and they aren't just letting people go, but I do think over time, it will happen as that sort of seems like that's what they're doing right now in filling empty spots.

So i'm hearing that Universal is trying to pull furloughed part-timers to fill empty spots in certain departments (offering for them to change departments) as it seems that a lot of people (understandably) are unwilling to come back from furlough right now due to the rise in COVID cases. Universal is understanding of that and they aren't just letting people go, but I do think over time, it will happen as that sort of seems like that's what they're doing right now in filling empty spots.

Yup. There's a lot of movement going around in general from what I've been hearing. They've also begun to cross-train some leads for other venues now as they lose people while they're out for a week or more waiting for COVID results after experiencing symptoms.

-------

It looks like UNIQLO at Disney Springs has suddenly shut down (temporarily) today. Pretty sure that's the first reclosure of any stores or restaurants in the theme park shopping districts?

Last edited:
Yup. There's a lot of movement going around in general from what I've been hearing. They've also begun to cross-train some leads for other venues now as they lose people while they're out for a week or more waiting for COVID results after experiencing symptoms.

-------

It looks like UNIQLO at Disney Springs has suddenly shut down today. Pretty sure that's the first reclosure of any stores or restaurants in the theme park shopping districts?

I read this and thought they were closing for good. I had a mini heart attack there for a second :lol:

Reactions: rinacee
I've seen various posts in the last week about Universal Orlando expecting attendance to be significantly down for at least the next 6-12 months, and I'm wondering if there is anymore information that can be shared about that. Are they expecting demand to be so low that they just can't attract enough guests? Or are the <10k capacity limits going to stay in place and keep them from being able to turn any profit? Or some of both?

I've seen various posts in the last week about Universal Orlando expecting attendance to be significantly down for at least the next 6-12 months, and I'm wondering if there is anymore information that can be shared about that. Are they expecting demand to be so low that they just can't attract enough guests? Or are the <10k capacity limits going to stay in place and keep them from being able to turn any profit? Or some of both?
Largely the bolded. Based on what others have said on here, Universal is banking on HHN being the primary revenue driver until the JP coaster opens in the spring. They're operating at a loss right now due to low attendance and have only hit capacity once or twice in the main parks. As discussed a few days ago, TMs are being notified of layoffs too. There's no need to increase capacity limitations with current demand, and it especially won't be happening anytime soon with Florida being the new epicenter of cases.

On top of everything @ThemeParks4Life stated, it's also important to remember that they're pretty much limited to US travelers only for the foreseeable future which drastically cuts back on their attendance. Even then, NY, NJ, and Conn. are all requiring travelers coming from FL to quarantine for 2 weeks upon returning which will further discourage people from visiting.

As of now, the US isn't allowing anyone from China, Iran, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City, UK, Ireland, or Brazil into the country.

And on the inverse of things, the EU just specified that they will continue to bar travellers from the US for the time being as it is too risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.