Universal Executive Leadership Changes | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Executive Leadership Changes

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I have many questions and very few answers.
When I worked at UOR they gave us lower level TMs a resort-wide raise. At the same time, they let go many high level executives who had been at the company 10 or more years. That way they can promote younger mid level folks to top positions, and at a much less pay rate than those they replaced.

This article seems to say they offered a voluntary retirement package to those 57 or older and to those that had been at the company 10 years or longer.

Also, I believe some TM departments received raises today.

History repeats itself?

When I worked at UOR they gave us lower level TMs a resort-wide raise. At the same time, they let go many high level executives who had been at the company 10 or more years. That way they can promote younger mid level folks to top positions, and at a much less pay rate than those they replaced.

This article seems to say they offered a voluntary retirement package to those 57 or older and to those that had been at the company 10 years or longer.

History repeats itself?

Hmmmmmm. I’m still reading the room.

History repeats itself?
What I do think is interesting is that, per the article, it's NBCUniversal-wide, not just UC/UPR, so it could be unrelated to the goings-on at the parks completely

Goddamn though 2022 has been quite a year for park leadership

What I do think is interesting is that, per the article, it's NBCUniversal-wide, not just UC/UPR, so it could be unrelated to the goings-on at the parks completely

Goddamn though 2022 has been quite a year for park leadership
Yea but like, you think these three spoke and got on the same page before agreeing to take the deal? You think Comcast never would’ve expected to lose high level folks from the Parks division? Did this money saving master plan just backfire?

Did this money saving master plan just backfire?
This is honestly what I'm thinking. It happens where companies trying to get rid of certain people with these early retirement deals but end up losing some others who decide to take the chance for a better payout. The parks are doing better than ever so what reason would Comcast have for trying to force a big leadership shake-up, especially when the parks just underwent a major leadership change earlier this year? It's just so surprising to me, definitely interested to see who ends up taking over

This is honestly what I'm thinking. It happens where companies trying to get rid of certain people with these early retirement deals but end up losing some others who decide to take the chance for a better payout. The parks are doing better than ever so what reason would Comcast have for trying to force a big leadership shake-up, especially when the parks just underwent a major leadership change earlier this year? It's just so surprising to me, definitely interested to see who ends up taking over
I’m available if they’re looking

The loss of Thierry isn't that big of a loss since he was a reason why so many screen based attractions but new blood will be good.
Cmon man that’s not cool. He’s still a hardworking individual that gave the better part of his career to the parks and is now out of work in a tough economic time. This forum collectively worshipped everything UO did under his tenure…don’t now discredit the leading force behind it to defend a corporate cost-cutting move.

Man, after the last few years of craziness… if I was at that age and in a position to retire with a sweetheart VRP I’d definitely take it even if it was just to lay low a few years and take a consulting gig when I get bored.

A good question--I wonder what this will mean for projects that haven't broken ground yet. Hollywood Drift and Kidzone come to mind almost immediately in this regard.

Gosh I went to sleep for hour and so and wake up and see this news. Wow I’m actually shocked they all decided to leave the company in a heartbeat.

I understand they are being generous retirement packages but this feels so out of left field. New blood is always a good thing but have seasoned leadership definitely helps as well.

I found this quote from MC interesting:

There is some absolutely wild news surfacing about Universal Creative’s leadership. According to The Wrap, most of Universal Creative’s executives have taken “early retirement”… all at the same time! This includes the Chief Creative Officer of Universal Creative, Thierry Coup.

NBCUniversal recently offered all of its employees who are 57 years old or older (as well as anyone with 10 years or more seniority) an early retirement option. As you might expect, many in the company are concerned that if they don’t take the generous early retirement offer, they may get caught up in a less generous layoff later.

Universal’s creative staff have been grumbling at industry events recently that their mega-theme park project in Orlando, Epic Universe, is getting less and less epic by the day. What the project was promised to be, and what it is shaping up to be, may not live up to the grandiose name.

The loss of Thierry isn't that big of a loss since he was a reason why so many screen based attractions but new blood will be good.

New blood is always welcome, but establishing your company as one with a reputation of discarding veteran employees is not an attractive way of bringing in talent who are looking to build a long-term career and can be similarly shown the door 10 years from now.