Universal Orlando Price Increases (General) | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Price Increases (General)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
idk who is we but the two lower tiers are more expensive than WDW's once you take parking prices into consideration
When you go to a park and just go ahead and buy an annual pass because you almost spent that much already, it's too cheap. "It's not cheaper than park X" doesn't change that.

When you go to a park and just go ahead and buy an annual pass because you almost spent that much already, it's too cheap. "It's not cheaper than park X" doesn't change that.

That's how every park's pricing is set up. If we go by that logic, annual passes will start $1K+

Not opposed to price increases, they are expected, but $150 in one jump is pretty ridiculous... especially when we should be expecting an additional one next year in preparation for EU as well.

That's how every park's pricing is set up. If we go by that logic, annual passes will start $1K+

Not opposed to price increases, they are expected, but $150 in one jump is pretty ridiculous... especially when we should be expecting an additional one next year in preparation for EU as well.
Scared to see the prices next year and in 2025.

Terrified to see what'll cost to add on Epic Universe.

When epic universe opens I am going to buy the top pass if express after 4 is included before they realize they need to get rid of that perk.

So Universal's APs can be more expensive than Disney's, but because it doesn't cost a literal arm and a leg compared to buying a however-many-day ticket, it's still "too cheap," despite Disney having twice as many parks?

Yeah.... no. That logic doesn't fly at all. And I think you were speaking for yourself when you said the APs were underpriced. That thought certainly never crossed my mind. These hikes are disgustingly bad. They're "We added another park" hikes, yet they didn't even add the park yet!

I’ve seen you talk business on here before bro, surely you understand this is how all loyalty programs at all companies work

I’ve seen you talk business on here before bro, surely you understand this is how all loyalty programs at all companies work

Not companies that are overcrowded regularly and have people that go frequently. Places that you might go once or twice a year and are half empty most of the time, sure. They have excess capacity to fill and its worth giving away tickets. You usually don't see it in world class destinations with capacity problems.

So Universal's APs can be more expensive than Disney's, but because it doesn't cost a literal arm and a leg compared to buying a however-many-day ticket, it's still "too cheap," despite Disney having twice as many parks?

Yeah.... no. That logic doesn't fly at all. And I think you were speaking for yourself when you said the APs were underpriced. That thought certainly never crossed my mind. These hikes are disgustingly bad. They're "We added another park" hikes, yet they didn't even add the park yet!

Disney is underpriced on AP's too. That's why they stop selling them. Demand is higher than supply. Disney is at reservation capacity a lot. That is classic signs of "too cheap". Supply and demand is day 1 of Econ 101.

I buy an ap when I go because it makes no sense not to. I usually get a preferred as, once again, the perks are too good to pass up at that price. That's even if I know I'm only making one trip a year. You can say thats just me, but the people complaining about prices are usually the ones that also complain about the parks being crowded and lose their mind at the thought of reservations. Well they can't really add capacity quickly, so how do you keep things from being overcrowded?

Just because it costs more than you want to pay, doesn't mean there won't be many many people lining up to pay that price or more. I don't like it either. I'd rather be able to go for $50 a day and a $200 ap. But I'd also like to be able to go to the park and it not be shoulder to shoulder everywhere.

Not companies that are overcrowded regularly and have people that go frequently. Places that you might go once or twice a year and are half empty most of the time, sure. They have excess capacity to fill and its worth giving away tickets. You usually don't see it in world class destinations with capacity problems.
I’ll let you in on a secret…”cheap” loyalty programs (like annual passes) are how those businesses stay crowded.

Since you like throwing out economics 101 around you’re aware of the 2-part pricing model…customer pays a fixed fee to access a product plus the separate per-unit fee. The access fee really only needs to be the breakeven price (where marginal cost=average total cost). You get the economic profit in the shaded triangle above that line, where the money is made in per-cap spending. You get higher per-cap spending by letting more visitors in.

Personally, I prefer a higher priced AP that exceeds breakeven for a less crowded, higher per-cap experience…but that’s just me as a paying consumer. It’s crazy to suggest that cheap annual passes that allow for higher crowds is a bad thing from a business perspective.

I’ll let you in on a secret…”cheap” loyalty programs (like annual passes) are how those businesses stay crowded.

Since you like throwing out economics 101 around you’re aware of the 2-part pricing model…customer pays a fixed fee to access a product plus the separate per-unit fee. The access fee really only needs to be the breakeven price (where marginal cost=average total cost). You get the economic profit in the shaded triangle above that line, where the money is made in per-cap spending. You get higher per-cap spending by letting more visitors in.

Personally, I prefer a higher priced AP that exceeds breakeven for a less crowded, higher per-cap experience…but that’s just me as a paying consumer. It’s crazy to suggest that cheap annual passes that allow for higher crowds is a bad thing from a business perspective.

No I'm saying that cheap annual passes that take you over capacity, or when AP holders keep single day and vacationers away, are bad. It's not just dollars that day. Theres future dollars if you are too crowded and people don't come back or come less.

For the business, the best for them is being just below capacity every day, and having those people buying single day passes. That wouldn't happen, so they have multi day passes and AP's. It's a balance. For years Universal needed more people so cheap AP's were the correct business strategy. I just think that they have reached, or at least are approaching, the point where it doesn't make as much sense.

This isn't a hill I'm looking to die on though. Just of the opinion that AP prices going up is probably their best strategy right now.

Reactions: OrlandoGuy

That guy is very wealthy and just wants park tickets to cost more money so the plebs can't afford to go and he will have a better experience without having to buy express/vip. You have to keep that in mind when reading whatever he says.

Why are we asking for higher ticket prices after they just raised them and there's sure to be more raises in the next few years? I feel like i'm going crazy reading this thread. :expressionless:

Reactions: belloq87 and Nico
That guy is very wealthy and just wants park tickets to cost more money so the plebs can't afford to go and he will have a better experience without having to buy express/vip. You have to keep that in mind when reading whatever he says.
lol no. People like you judging people are a type, that's for sure. I live in a 900 square ft condo that appraised for $75k. Don't own a company. Job pays well under $100k a year. Now lets post your financials and compare.

When I do splurge on an Orlando trip once every year or two I'd rather pay more for a better experience. It's expensive no matter what. If you are cool with 2 hour lines for everything and not being able to walk down paths in exchange for cheap passes, you do you. But you can stick your ignorant judgmental attitude.

Why do they need to charge so much more? What they could do is just add more blackouts and take away the After 4 Express and then the parks aren't always filled with APs. It's not all about charging more. If they take away a big benefit in AP Express, that helps clear up the express lines after 4 and by adding more blackout dates that keeps the park a bit more clear from so many APs. It doesn't have to be more money on everything. Even Disney realizes you need to cater at least a bit with one pass level to a lower earning demographic.

And by 2025 the prices on these passes are gonna be nuts anyway so don't worry, big price increases are coming.

Reactions: Crypt Keeper
Why do they need to charge so much more? What they could do is just add more blackouts and take away the After 4 Express and then the parks aren't always filled with APs. It's not all about charging more. If they take away a big benefit in AP Express, that helps clear up the express lines after 4 and by adding more blackout dates that keeps the park a bit more clear from so many APs. It doesn't have to be more money on everything. Even Disney realizes you need to cater at least a bit with one pass level to a lower earning demographic.

And by 2025 the prices on these passes are gonna be nuts anyway so don't worry, big price increases are coming.
What do you think the prices will be in 2025?

I'd have to imagine they'll introduce a 4-Park pass, but the Preferred and Premier tiers are gonna be ridiculously expensive. Like, "you're crazy to buy that" expensive.

Unless they decide to completely restructure the Annual Passes.

What do you think the prices will be in 2025?

I'd have to imagine they'll introduce a 4-Park pass, but the Preferred and Premier tiers are gonna be ridiculously expensive. Like, "you're crazy to buy that" expensive.

Unless they decide to completely restructure the Annual Passes.
I don't even want to guess what the prices will be in 2025, but I suspect a 2-park "Seasonal" pass will probably cost around what the Preferred costs today and there will probably be even more blackouts on that pass. And that would be the starting point at around $500+. Just a guess though, could be totally off.

Reactions: Crypt Keeper