Universal Orlando Price Increases (General) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Price Increases (General)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't even want to guess what the prices will be in 2025, but I suspect a 2-park "Seasonal" pass will probably cost around what the Preferred costs today and there will probably be even more blackouts on that pass. And that would be the starting point at around $500+. Just a guess though, could be totally off.

$500 for a 2-Park Seasonal Pass with even more block-out dates would be ridiculous.

Going to have to reconsider staying with my 3-park Premier. I'm not a local so I don't get enough use of the benefits. But do love my valet parking, HHN ticket, discounts, etc. when I am there.

No I'm saying that cheap annual passes that take you over capacity, or when AP holders keep single day and vacationers away, are bad. It's not just dollars that day. Theres future dollars if you are too crowded and people don't come back or come less.

For the business, the best for them is being just below capacity every day, and having those people buying single day passes. That wouldn't happen, so they have multi day passes and AP's. It's a balance. For years Universal needed more people so cheap AP's were the correct business strategy. I just think that they have reached, or at least are approaching, the point where it doesn't make as much sense.

This isn't a hill I'm looking to die on though. Just of the opinion that AP prices going up is probably their best strategy right now.
I hear you, man. I just hate seeing posts get brushed off with very surface-level economics concepts when in reality these businesses operate with much more complexity, but ultimately I know you know what you’re talking about.

The thing is, though, Universal’s not doing anything to curb demand since they’ve maintained the lower tier prices. I don’t see that prompting people to cancel, just downgrade…which means just as many people in the parks, but less people getting discounts, upcharge perks for free, etc. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

In general I’m okay with price increases… the second I have to wait longer than 30 minutes at HHN I’m screaming from the rafters to hike up the FFP prices. The problem with this, to me, is that Universal hasn’t earned a price hike. Since 2014, the additions to their parks have ranged from mediocre to aggressively bad with two exceptions: Velocicoaster and Hagrid’s (one of which most are hard-pressed to actually ride). I know someone will make an argument for Volcano Bay but since that’s included with your basic AP it doesn't really apply.

For an extra $90 - $150 we’re getting a worse experience than what we got five years ago…opinions on rides and IP use aside, it’s a notably lower-quality product in terms of parking, park ops, line movement, food service and, in some cases even crowding.

I hear you, man. I just hate seeing posts get brushed off with very surface-level economics concepts when in reality these businesses operate with much more complexity, but ultimately I know you know what you’re talking about.

The thing is, though, Universal’s not doing anything to curb demand since they’ve maintained the lower tier prices. I don’t see that prompting people to cancel, just downgrade…which means just as many people in the parks, but less people getting discounts, upcharge perks for free, etc. They want to have their cake and eat it too.

In general I’m okay with price increases… the second I have to wait longer than 30 minutes at HHN I’m screaming from the rafters to hike up the FFP prices. The problem with this, to me, is that Universal hasn’t earned a price hike. Since 2014, the additions to their parks have ranged from mediocre to aggressively bad with two exceptions: Velocicoaster and Hagrid’s (one of which most are hard-pressed to actually ride). I know someone will make an argument for Volcano Bay but since that’s included with your basic AP it doesn't really apply.

For an extra $90 - $150 we’re getting a worse experience than what we got five years ago…opinions on rides and IP use aside, it’s a notably lower-quality product in terms of parking, park ops, line movement, food service and, in some cases even crowding.
This is where we start going to what each individual values. I know you feel that way, but as far as attractions, events, and entertainment - their Guest Satisfaction has been pretty positive (outside the obvious FF). Now as far as the parking, ops, etc… I gotta follow up cuz I’m curious.

My assessment of Universal’s last decade isn’t as harsh as yours - I think improvements were impressive and steady until Veloci in 2021. It is galling, however, to have such a steep price increase hot on the heels of the closure of Poseidon, the Hogwarts lights, the parade, and the nighttime celebration. Yes, many of those are going to be replaced… so it seems fair to wait until those replacements appear before dramatically raising ticket prices. Even then, IoA will be operating for the foreseeable future with one of its seven lands almost entirely shuttered.

Universal made gains on Disney by offering a similarly impressive product at a much more reasonable price point. If they think they can raise prices the way WDW has and still gain market share, I think they’ll find the Universal brand is nowhere near as powerful as the Disney brand and can’t paper over shortcomings in the product in the same way.

This is where we start going to what each individual values. I know you feel that way, but as far as attractions, events, and entertainment - their Guest Satisfaction has been pretty positive (outside the obvious FF). Now as far as the parking, ops, etc… I gotta follow up cuz I’m curious.
Besides my long-standing feud with the parking policy at HHN? :lmao:

I mean, I dont know what else to say. I think a lot of their issues stem from understaffing…you go to park, maybe you’ll get directed to a spot, maybe you’ll get sent down a row with too many cars and have to start over. You get out of the car, the garage smells like bud more often than not (in my experience).

Food hasn’t made any noticeable strides in quality with the exception of some of the temp food booths, which are largely inaccessible because of slowwww moving lines.

I will say, I think Team Member morale has improved under the new leadership. But the staff is a little more unpolished when it comes to providing information or enforcing policy (I think I posted about already, but one example being the host at Cowfish saying he “can’t control how long people stay at their tables” or something along those lines when asking about our table not being available past our reservation time).

Now a lot of this is subjective, and I wouldn’t describe any of these things as outright “bad”…just not elite. And for every “not elite” experience I’ve had, I’m sure a handful of people on here can counter. But the thing that gets overlooked with these price increases…

Once you’ve paid for your admission, you’re pressured to buy more when you’re inside. It’s no Six Flags by any means, but on the spectrum from Six Flags to Disney UO falls closer to the middle than their ticket prices would have you believe. There are signs advertising Express Passes in nearly every land/attraction exit, you can’t view your on-ride photos without a watermark, most food venue cash registers have dinky signs on them advertising upcharges like souvenir cups, quick service menus forego aesthetics in exchange for tacky animated Coke advertisements, and then worst of all…there are three different locations across the relatively small area of the resort where timeshare salesmen are allowed to harass customers to take an off-site tour in the middle of their vacations. Does this detract from the park experience per se? Maybe not…but it demonstrates a level of disrespect for the paying consumer IMO.

I still like Universal. I’m biased toward them because I have a history there. But I think that very bias that’ll keep me paying the increased AP prices is also what makes me a little more critical when I see things that don’t add up.

As long as day tickets keep increasing in price, so will annual passes. When a day ticket is approaching $150 a pass will match that in value- do you go 10 days a year? Then a $1000 pass is a savings compared to daily tickets. This is the way it's always been and as prices for daily tickets go up so do passes to match.

Yes, some people will make the decision not to renew or not to buy a pass, but obviously there's no lack of other people willing to spend the money. Disney and Universal were never intended to be "visit every day, every week, or every month" places-- they're primarily designed to be once a year, once every few years, or sometimes once in a lifetime destinations. The price of annual passes is the MOST first world problem in the world.

Reactions: fryoj
As long as day tickets keep increasing in price, so will annual passes. When a day ticket is approaching $150 a pass will match that in value- do you go 10 days a year? Then a $1000 pass is a savings compared to daily tickets. This is the way it's always been and as prices for daily tickets go up so do passes to match.

Yes, some people will make the decision not to renew or not to buy a pass, but obviously there's no lack of other people willing to spend the money. Disney and Universal were never intended to be "visit every day, every week, or every month" places-- they're primarily designed to be once a year, once every few years, or sometimes once in a lifetime destinations. The price of annual passes is the MOST first world problem in the world.
But the lower-tier passes are staying flat. That tells me they’re okay with the number of people who have Annual Passes, they just want to give out less food/merch discounts. Given where Power and Seasonal sit, it doesn’t seem like there was a revised calculation on visits-per-year breakeven.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Those lower tier passes are also only applicable to slower days when they still want more people to show up. When those days are all at capacity those prices will go up as well.

Parking in the last few weeks has started to change a tad bit for the better, with managers present trying to figure out things... but it's far from the well-run machine of Disney.

Universal F&B's operation really led me this year to not enjoy Mardi Gras as much as in prior years, especially the switcheroo of reducing portions midway through the event for the same price.

But the lower-tier passes are staying flat. That tells me they’re okay with the number of people who have Annual Passes, they just want to give out less food/merch discounts. Given where Power and Seasonal sit, it doesn’t seem like there was a revised calculation on visits-per-year breakeven.
Yep, just like Disney now. Rely on APs during the slow season, kick them to the curb on busier days lol

Food hasn’t made any noticeable strides in quality with the exception of some of the temp food booths, which are largely inaccessible because of slowwww moving lines.

(I think I posted about already, but one example being the host at Cowfish saying he “can’t control how long people stay at their tables” or something along those lines when asking about our table not being available past our reservation time).
Honestly I think food quality is starting to trend up a little bit - the new booths in NY seem to be getting good reviews, and if we're porting the same menu from Minion Cafe in Hollywood, that'll be a good boost as well.

As far as Cowfish.. their service has always been awful I feel. I think it's a management issue there lol

I've been one of the most fervid Universal supporters since Potter opened. Loved the parks, hotels, layout and the leisurely, no planning needed, experience. BUT, I wasn't impressed with my last three visits. Too crowded, park capacity not being addressed, lack of park knowledge by staff, some hotel bookings tied up until just weeks before the dates are publicly available, long hotel stays not discounted much anymore, , . And with all the permanent and 'temporary' entertainment/show hiatus, the overall experience is not what it was. Sure, the rides are still pretty damn good, but the lines are way too long. I guess some of this can be explained by covid, hurricane damage, and Epic diversions. And, I'm trusting everything will get better by the time Epic opens in 2025. But, that doesn't make the present experience any better. Sooo, I'm just taking a breather, and giving my money to the Mouse until then. Just got back yesterday from an excellent 10 nights at WDW. Crowds were very decent, lines were manageable, and really no need for Genie +, if you know what the line trends are. Employees were very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly at both the parks and resorts. Great nightime shows at MK & DHS. Watched them 5 times. Damn, I felt like it did at Universal before covid. I could do without the hindrance of daily park reservations, but park hopper tickets help get around that bother. Sooo, I cancelled Alene and my Nov. Universal plans and it'll be Disney with the grandkids, for their first Orlando trip, for June 2024 when they get out of school. That originally was sup[posed to be a primarily Universal trip with a one day trip to MK. Now, it'll be 10 nights at WDW Animation instead.

I've been one of the most fervid Universal supporters since Potter opened. Loved the parks, hotels, layout and the leisurely, no planning needed, experience. BUT, I wasn't impressed with my last three visits. Too crowded, park capacity not being addressed, lack of park knowledge by staff, some hotel bookings tied up until just weeks before the dates are publicly available, long hotel stays not discounted much anymore, , . And with all the permanent and 'temporary' entertainment/show hiatus, the overall experience is not what it was. Sure, the rides are still pretty damn good, but the lines are way too long. I guess some of this can be explained by covid, hurricane damage, and Epic diversions. And, I'm trusting everything will get better by the time Epic opens in 2025. But, that doesn't make the present experience any better. Sooo, I'm just taking a breather, and giving my money to the Mouse until then. Just got back yesterday from an excellent 10 nights at WDW. Crowds were very decent, lines were manageable, and really no need for Genie +, if you know what the line trends are. Employees were very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly at both the parks and resorts. Great nightime shows at MK & DHS. Watched them 5 times. Damn, I felt like it did at Universal before covid. I could do without the hindrance of daily park reservations, but park hopper tickets help get around that bother. Sooo, I cancelled Alene and my Nov. Universal plans and it'll be Disney with the grandkids, for their first Orlando trip, for June 2024 when they get out of school. That originally was sup[posed to be a primarily Universal trip with a one day trip to MK. Now, it'll be 10 nights at WDW Animation instead.

Thank god I'm not the only one complaining about stuff like this in the past year.

Since moving to Orlando a year ago, I've been pleasantly impressed more by Disney (outside of their stupid reservation systems/Genie) while Universal just hasn't recovered from Covid.

I think we can all agree, that Disney has way better management/employee training than Universal. Universal seems almost shocked at their popularity now and somehow wasn't prepared for it? The resort overall has grown in tremendous size. We can excuse the fact that they were surprised by the crowds from Potter, but 13 years later they still operate like they did in 2005?!

Reactions: Mad Dog
I paid $60.00 USD for a 1 day ticket to Tokyo Disneyland a couple of weeks ago. I dont understand the price disparity.
Guessing but..Chinese parks are also much cheaper. ..It probably reflects the economic reality that the median income in Japan is less than the US and the median income in China is many many many times less than the US. Euro Disney is expensive also, but Euro incomes are fairly similar to the US. You can only charge what the market conditions will allow.

Starting price for a 1-day ticket has increased to $119, previously $109
We’re told that we have to overlook the state of Studios and IOA - the deteriorating attractions, shuttered theaters, huge stretches of construction walls - because 2023 and 2024 are all about getting ready for EU. Fine. But you don’t get to make that claim and then dramatically raise prices to parks offering a substandard experience.