Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It? | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Florida: What Do We Think About It?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't understand why Fallon gets so much hate.
I don't know that it gets a lot of "hate" so much as some people (myself included) think it's just another too-similar attraction in a park with several other comparable experiences. It's arguably the best of the three "pure" simulators in the park (and I may even prefer it to the simulator-y Transformers, in isolation, but that's just because I resent Transformers' very existence with Spider-Man so nearby!). It's too much of the same sort of stuff.

And we had to lose another primarily physical attraction to make room for it.

I think Fallon gets unfairly lumped in with F&F.

The 30 Rock facade is absolutely gorgeous and fits perfectly into New York, and the ride itself is fun. The preshows are cool as well as the museum.

Villain Con wasn't the best, but it was pretty fun and I'm sure we'll do it every trip. The whole of Minion Land is an unquestioned success though.

I will say I have only done two trips and gotten food/drinks at 3 places all being in the HP lands. So I may not be the best example as maybe they are overally staffing those places for training purposes. But it didn't seem to be a lack of employees, just a lack of desire to do the work.
Potter is impeccable, they do a great job for obvious reasons. Potter runs great, which is why it bothers me they can't provide the same level of efficiency outside it.

Fallon is a great simulator... but is a victim of the screenz era. Once Simpsons and F&F are out of the way, it should rate higher from fans who were dazed from all the screenz.

The biggest problem I have with Villain-Con is that it's a game ... but not a particularly fun game. I love Men in Black, Midway Mania and (to a much lesser extend) Web Slingers because I enjoy the gameplay. Villain Con's vibe is great and I dig the queue, but (like Mario Kart) I don't enjoy the gameplay.
I think this is a key thing, even though it's very subjective. If you don't like the mechanics or the conceit/execution of the interactivity, and that's the major selling point of the attraction, then the attraction's overall effectiveness for you will be limited.

This is why I maintain that MIB is still the interactive king... because even if you're not the highest on the implementation of the shooting "game," you've still got a great dark ride with detailed sets and tons of animated figures to enjoy.

USF has some really great and beloved rides using practical effects and animatronics. Mummy, Men in Black, E.T., and the land of Diagon Alley + queue for Gringotts are really amazing imo.

Unfortunately, it seems like the park currently still suffers from oversaturation of a specific kind of ride: screen-based motion simulators. We're currently discussing in the FoP thread how even the best of that kind of attraction has limited re-ridability, and so when some are lacking and actively getting worse like Simpsons with it's lack of tune-ups and Minion Mayhem losing it's 3D Element, it can cause problems. Fallon, Villain Con, and Transformers would probably be fine B-C Tickets if the park wasn't already filled with similar attractions. I think all three have really solid positives to them, especially Transformers, which is only somewhat lacking imo because it's so obviously similar to the best themed ride of all time which is a 10 minute walk away.

Rip Ride Rock-It is controversial around these parts but lots of people still enjoy it. Bourne is an incredible stunt show with lots to enjoy and that I think is surprisingly repeatable. HMU and AA are cute, but not incredibly striking. Gringotts is a really fun ride that definitely acts as a headliner attraction, but again, a lot of the experience is through Screenz and goggles. Just adds to the overall feeling of sameness that one could get at the end of a full USF day.

It's also why I think USF is at it's best during HHN. In between the exclusive yearly Haunts, you can very easily get on all of the highlight attractions at USF with practically zero wait besides RRR. If E.T. and Bourne were open, there'd be practically no reason to go any other time of the year, and even then you could probably just nab a Scream Early pass.

Another big budget land like Pokemon would do a lot of good for the park around the Simpsons area, especially if it came with an attraction with mostly practical effects. I've always thought that a Seaworld or Animal Actors type show hosted by a Pokemon Professor going through different types of Pokemon and showing off their special abilities via Animatronics, puppets, and the like would be incredibly cool and would give a really great show to USF which it really does need.

And FnF, what hasn't been said about that mess. It's overly loud and jarring, messy nonsense, the tunnel effect consistently breaks the illusion by having the orange-lit car tunnel open up before the left facing tunnel lights stop moving, the musion effects for the party are laughable, and pretty much the only redeeming quality is if you get good preshow performers. It's a massive, screen-based motion simulator blight that needs to be torn out as soon as possible. This could be a spot for something maybe not of the same type, but same flavor as Hagrids. In the dead center of the park, having a large E-Ticket with lots of sets and practical features would really help to elevate the park a lot. A Mini Hill Valley BTTF coaster is of course the obvious fan answer but I'm sure they've got something cooking that will be satisfying, even if it might take too long to arrive.
b795af8f-0b34-42bf-9f91-abeb54e205f2_text.gif

This is why I maintain that MIB is still the interactive king... because even if you're not the highest on the implementation of the shooting "game," you've still got a great dark ride with detailed sets and tons of animated figures to enjoy.
Completely agree. I enjoy game-y attractions but you’re creating a much more foolproof attraction if it’s a great ride first and a great game second.

I don't know that it gets a lot of "hate" so much as some people (myself included) think it's just another too-similar attraction in a park with several other comparable experiences. It's arguably the best of the three "pure" simulators in the park (and I may even prefer it to the simulator-y Transformers, in isolation, but that's just because I resent Transformers' very existence with Spider-Man so nearby!). It's too much of the same sort of stuff.

And we had to lose another primarily physical attraction to make room for it.
I enjoyed Twister, but Fallon is an upgrade imo. Supercharged is a prime spot for an immersive dark ride with impressive practical sets.
And FnF, what hasn't been said about that mess. It's overly loud and jarring, messy nonsense, the tunnel effect consistently breaks the illusion by having the orange-lit car tunnel open up before the left facing tunnel lights stop moving, the musion effects for the party are laughable, and pretty much the only redeeming quality is if you get good preshow performers. It's a massive, screen-based motion simulator blight that needs to be torn out as soon as possible. This could be a spot for something maybe not of the same type, but same flavor as Hagrids. In the dead center of the park, having a large E-Ticket with lots of sets and practical features would really help to elevate the park a lot. A Mini Hill Valley BTTF coaster is of course the obvious fan answer but I'm sure they've got something cooking that will be satisfying, even if it might take too long to arrive.
Am I the only one who thinks Supercharged won't make it to the 2030s?....

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I enjoyed Twister, but Fallon is an upgrade imo. Supercharged is a prime spot for an immersive dark ride with impressive practical sets.

Am I the only one who thinks Supercharged won't make it to the 2030s?....
I could definitely see F&F being closed maybe 2 or 3 years after Epic opens - but I'm not sure how long it would take to get a replacement. They may feel a potential Springfield replacement is a higher priority (if they even lose the rights)

I could definitely see F&F being closed maybe 2 or 3 years after Epic opens - but I'm not sure how long it would take to get a replacement. They may feel a potential Springfield replacement is a higher priority (if they even lose the rights)
It depends on when in 2028 the Simpsons contract is up. If it expires approx 20 years from the opening date in May 2028, then it would make sense to put the attention towards replacing Simpsons considering they would not want there to be visible construction on dismantling USH's version during LA2028 when that park needs to be in its best shape. If the contract allows for Simpsons to stay for the entirety of 2028, then focus on getting Supercharged outta there. No tears will be shed.

It depends on when in 2028 the Simpsons contract is up. If it expires approx 20 years from the opening date in May 2028, then it would make sense to put the attention towards replacing Simpsons considering they would not want there to be visible construction on dismantling USH's version during LA2028 when that park needs to be in its best shape. If the contract allows for Simpsons to stay for the entirety of 2028, then focus on getting Supercharged outta there. No tears will be shed.
In USH's case, they could easily keep Simpsons (depending on the reliability of the system) to 2028 as you'll get F&F in 2025, and maybe something in 2027-28. Then, during the Olympics, people will see something else taking the spot of the Simpsons and generate interest for a future visit.

In Orlando, I don't think losing F&F's capacity is a problem. But losing both Simpsons and F&F would cause some issues in the park.

These conversations baffle me sometimes. I find Fallon so much worse than F&F. Fallon is grating and deeply unfunny (few things are worse the trying to be funny and failing) while F&F is genuinely funny - unintentionally in the ride, intentionally in the preshow. It captures the fun stupidity of the franchise perfectly. It probably should go very soon due to the allegations against Diesel, but if we’re judging just on ride experience, I’d replace Blast, Fallon, and Simpsons before even looking at F&F.

As for Minions Blast, I finally rode it… and I feel it’s the worst attraction Uni has ever built. The theming is pathetically threadbare, the game is overly complicated, confusing, and reminiscent of a bad mobile game, the Minions are barely in evidence, and the whole thing has a palpable cheapness to it. It reminds me of the deeply regrettable Food Rocks! in a lot of ways. I rode with an elderly relative and they had balance issues and almost fell, a concern that was roundly dismissed for on these boards when Blast was being built. Coupled with the loss of the HHN maze site we were assured was being preserved, Blast is a disaster.

Having vented, I should note that the Minion Cafe block is excellent. The food is great, the theming is spectacular - I love it. It should be a model for Uni going forward. It’s a shocking contrast to Blast.

Last edited:
I rode with an elderly relative and they had balance issues and almost fell, a concern I was roundly mocked for on these boards when Blast was being built. Coupled with the loss of the HHN maze site we were assured was being preserved, Blast is a disaster.

OK, so we looked back at your posts because "roundly mocked" definitely stuck out and we wanted to make sure we didn't overlook anyone mocking you for an opinion - and we haven't seen anything close to a mocking tone. Maybe if you could point us in that direction?

Also, FWIW, the HHN space isn't gone. I don't know where you got that it was lost?

I will say Minion Blast is confusing at first, but its an attraction that gets better and better the more you do it. I feel like it was made more for APs and frequent visitors (especially with the app functionality) than the once every couple years guests.

From insiders on this board. Will the space be used as a HHN maze in the foreseeable future?

I believe the discussion was whether or not the size was comparable to the Shrek theater houses; and that, at the time, the space was not available - which would make sense since HHN had just ended and HHN 33 construction is still some time away.

But I'd rather focus on the mocking claim, please. That's a pretty big accusation that we want to make sure we get to the bottom of, because if we missed, we messed up.

I’m looking for the references to the Blast HHN space. It seems the issue is raised by MikePat, JungleSkip, and DannyPowers on page 52 of the HHN 32 discussion. Danny says “It's my understanding that it was always intended to be another potential location, but some things changed during/after construction that may not allow that to be possible.” This is corroborated on page 104 of the Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion) thread in a discussion between Alicia, Nick, and Legacy, all of whom I trust. Nick says, “It's not big enough for a house. It's also not really too much of flex space as much as storage. Events is not allowed to use it currently.”

As to the “mockery” issue, that’s longer ago and I’m not sure how to search further back. I’m obviously sensitive about the topic due to personal considerations. I’ll edit “mocked” to “dismissed.”

These conversations baffle me sometimes. I find Fallon so much worse than F&F. Fallon is grating and deeply unfunny (few things are worse the trying to be funny and failing) while F&F is genuinely funny - unintentionally in the ride, intentionally in the preshow. It captures the fun stupidity of the franchise perfectly. It probably should go very soon due to the allegations against Diesel, but if we’re judging just on ride experience, I’d replace Blast, Fallon, and Simpsons before even looking at F&F.
I have so many problems with Supercharged that I don't know where to begin!

1. The scale/scope of it does not befit the scale/scope of the franchise (which has waned somewhat now, but in the mid-2010s, when the attraction was being designed, was arguably at its peak).
2. There is no actual speed, which is a problem when FAST is a key part of the name of the franchise!
3. The screen tunnel dilutes the uniqueness of Skull Island next door, which is the superior attraction. In the same way that Transformers (and, I'd argue, Gringotts) dilutes the uniqueness of Spider-Man.
4. The park lost TWO physical attractions (Beetlejuice and Disaster/Earthquake) for this thing.
5. None of the performers in the preshow or ride film(s) seem like they wanted to be there. You can just feel the contractual obligation seeping off the screen(s).
6. The CGI is awful.

In summary, it's a waste of space and resources!

If FnF lasts two years after Epic Universe opens, it will have been there for a decade. In my mind, that is what I mean when I say a replacement will have taken too long to arrive.
Not to be nitpicky, but Supercharged turns ten years old in April 2028. It would be nine years old in April 2027 (two years after Epic Universe opens).
Supercharged is the one ride where the disinterest of the staff actually heightens your experience.
YES. The pre-shows are genuinely funny because of the staff.