Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Studios Japan General Discussion

I’m excited to see what Pokémon attractions they come up with. I know Alicia talked about some earlier plans they had when initially pitching for a land.
Pre-COVID there was a plan for an interactive drop tower and a mini land around it. Now it seems that all we are getting with Pokemon is a reskin of that parks Spiderman attraction as unlike here in the states the contract for USJ is not unlimited and it has to be renewed. So the end of the contract could be in 2024-2025 which is the timeframe for the new addition that will be in Japan in the latter year. I also heard Zelda might be coming and take over where Jaws is.

Pre-COVID there was a plan for an interactive drop tower and a mini land around it. Now it seems that all we are getting with Pokemon is a reskin of that parks Spiderman attraction as unlike here in the states the contract for USJ is not unlimited and it has to be renewed. So the end of the contract could be in 2024-2025 which is the timeframe for the new addition that will be in Japan in the latter year. I also heard Zelda might be coming and take over where Jaws is.

Oh god no to either of those. Spider-Man and Jaws are good rides, no need to change what isn’t broken. Besides Spider-Man is the only popular superhero in Japan, I doubt they’ll throw him away.

I don’t believe there’s been any substantiated rumors to this effect.

Now it seems that all we are getting with Pokemon is a reskin of that parks Spiderman attraction as unlike here in the states the contract for USJ is not unlimited and it has to be renewed. So the end of the contract could be in 2024-2025 which is the timeframe for the new addition that will be in Japan in the latter year.
While it wouldn't be completely 1:1 with the other versions due to the layout and lack of elevators, why not replace Spider-Man with Transformers? It would fit the NYC/big city theme, and some new/updated scenes could be worked in.

While it wouldn't be completely 1:1 with the other versions due to the layout and lack of elevators, why not replace Spider-Man with Transformers? It would fit the NYC/big city theme, and some new/updated scenes could be worked in.

No personal beef with you; but that’s even worse than the supposed Pokémon reskin. And why would they even theme it to Transformers anyway? I don’t think Transformers is quite the merchandising juggernaut like Pokémon and Spider-Man.

The much delayed new "No Limit!" day parade is finally debuting March 1, 2023.

Do these photos suggest that a Bowser character costume is coming? Or is it just a statue?

View attachment 18010

View attachment 18009
Oh my Arceus, that Charizard! I don't know if there are any folks on here who live in Japan, but if there are, 君たちがめっちゃ羨ましいぃ‼ CX

And that Bowser likely looks like a statue.

I'm sad....we at USH will never get a cool parade like this

Glad Pokemon is finally entering the park....hoping they will start selling items as well so they can see how big Pokemon really is and why we should have Pokemon lands all around the world before 2030

As per LinkedIn, there are a plethora of new job postings for a new USJ project that will be worked on in Orlando until about March of 2024, then will be relocated to Japan for at least a year (one posting mentions May 2025.)
Following up on this, Screamscape talks about more of these job listings that have been posted recently, and says it is likely this is for the Spider-Man -> Pokemon conversion for 2025/2026.

This Pokemon project is odd to me in that for such a big brand, Universal didn't commit to putting this IP in all their parks via the press release with The Pokémon Company, compared to what they did with Nintendo years ago.

Could it be they're just planning on rolling this out in Japan first and then judging the general public reaction before bringing it to other parks?

The possibility of Detective Pikachu being the theme is also strange since that seemed to fizzle out as a potential franchise starter in theaters. If that is the theme though then I can see why Universal would want to test this out in just 1 park first.

This Pokemon project is odd to me in that for such a big brand, Universal didn't commit to putting this IP in all their parks via the press release with The Pokémon Company, compared to what they did with Nintendo years ago.

Could it be they're just planning on rolling this out in Japan first and then judging the general public reaction before bringing it to other parks?

The possibility of Detective Pikachu being the theme is also strange since that seemed to fizzle out as a potential franchise starter in theaters. If that is the theme though then I can see why Universal would want to test this out in just 1 park first.
Pokemon Company has the Biggest IP int he world...yet lets games come out with bugs so,,,thats how the IP is managed

They want to test the waters and then commit to rides/other attractions first

It's just weird that for an IP as big as this they have seemingly decided on a Spider-Man retheme. If they have to close Spider-Man down next year due to the contract expiring then that makes sense, but then why not either go with Transformers or take your time with Pokémon to do a new idea?

USJ is already getting a big new land in 2024 with the world's first Donkey Kong area that will probably offer more state of the art experiences. So I feel like the park should be fine if Pokémon comes like a year or two later than their current target which right now has it opening as the next new addition immediately after DK.