Universal Studios Singapore | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Studios Singapore

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yes, Croods did well. However, HTTYD 2 slightly underperformed for what Dreamworks was hoping for. The film has made $425 million, production budget was $145 million and D&P was between $135 mil to $145 mil. So yes they film has profited roughly $130-$135 million. It was expected to do much better. Dreamworks animation is doing okay, nothing spectacular. Same can be said for Pixar, they're doing well but not massive numbers like they were doing before. Disney Animation right now is the only one who is pulling in enormous numbers.

What will save HTTYD 2 will be VOD and Blu-ray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Alexshow.
in the case of HTTYD, it will earn back on DVD sales just as the first which I find interesting on the legs don't kick in until VOD/Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital sales start pouring in... I think that Shrek won't be leaving Singapore due to the success of the character there is more or less bigger than here or Orlando which would make sense with world revinue.. But I do find having Puss & Boots have his own ride makes sense in a way, Shrek has one, Donkey has one, even the dragon has one, interested to see end-result.

Shrek is one of the highest ranked characters in guest surveys in Singapore. Its funky I know, and for the life of me I cannot understand why DM was axed in favor of this but hey its business. 
I can imagine USS wanted something new and cheap and Universal Creative isnt really going that route these days.  This has to be a generic coaster themed to an existing land which they already have rights for.  In other words....cheap!

Reactions: BernardMesa
Dreamworks Animation? Facing problems?? They totally raked it in with The Croods and How to Train Your Dragon 2, and have over 10 films planned for release over the next 4 years.
First you need to get informed. For those who don't know, Dreamworks Animation was spun off from Dreamworks, so they are two companies now. The split was made precisely because the company was in deep trouble and they thought DWA could survive as a public company ( DW is still trying to figure out how to survive. They have no movie slated for the rest of the year) and well they were also wrong on thinking DWA would survive alone. DWA stock plummeted just 2 days ago. So forgive me but this company is in real danger of imploding. When they were looking for options before DWA was made a public company, no big media conglomerate would touch it with a 10 yard stick. The company hasn't made any profit for the third year in a row. So yeah they are in trouble. Sources.http://m.deadline.com/2012/09/dreamworks-animations-desperation-move/

http://www.contactmusic.com/article/dreamworks-mr-peabody-sherman-first-quarter-losses_4174234

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/layoffs-coming-dreamworks-animation-418670?mobile_redirect=fals

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/dreamworks-animation-stock-plummets-analysts-urge-studio-to-lower-costs-1201272148/

First you need to get informed. For those who don't know, Dreamworks Animation was spun off from Dreamworks, so they are two companies now. The split was made precisely because the company was in deep trouble and they thought DWA could survive as a public company ( DW is still trying to figure out how to survive. They have no movie slated for the rest of the year) and well they were also wrong on thinking DWA would survive alone. DWA stock plummeted just 2 days ago. So forgive me but this company is in real danger of imploding. When they were looking for options before DWA was made a public company, no big media conglomerate would touch it with a 10 yard stick. The company hasn't made any profit for the third year in a row. So yeah they are in trouble.
No need to be condescending. I'm well aware that Dreamworks and Dreamworks Animation are two separate companies.

Reactions: Allen The Actor
No need to be condescending. I'm well aware that Dreamworks and Dreamworks Animation are two separate companies.
the main point was the current situation of DWA. I was just giving some background info