Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show | Page 104 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

I think the park looks great- plenty of trees around walkway still and I think it will have a better feel overall. Really looking forward to this.

Now this- I don’t like as much. As I coined the phrase “90% Universal” - this right here proves it. They are notorious for having incredible theming on their exterior these last few years- and then they cheap out on the last 10% instead of just finishing the job.

Example: look to the left of F&F near first aid area.

They couldn’t have made the pathway the same?

They couldn’t have added a faux building exterior next to Louie’s so the backstage isnt visible?

Just a hair more effort and it would’ve been perfect (thematically). But... 90% Universal.
Ugh.

I think the park looks great- plenty of trees around walkway still and I think it will have a better feel overall. Really looking forward to this.

Now this- I don’t like as much. As I coined the phrase “90% Universal” - this right here proves it. They are notorious for having incredible theming on their exterior these last few years- and then they cheap out on the last 10% instead of just finishing the job.

They couldn’t have added a faux building exterior next to Louie’s so the backstage isnt visible?

Just a hair more effort and it would’ve been perfect (thematically). But... 90% Universal.
Ugh.
We as super fans spend a lot of time in the parks, combing over details and looking at aerial shots. The general public doesn't really see what we do. To them it feels immersive. Their eyes are drawn to and manipulated into looking at the things they're supposed to see.

To me, its like looking up on a dark ride and seeing the lighting grid. We all know it's there, we just usually focus on the amazing scenery around us and suspend our disbelief of that 10%.

360 immersion like Avatar and Diagon is amazing and we're going to see more of that in the future. But it's not economically practical for most applications. There are other ways to fool the eye and pull focus and those tricks are deployed all over the amazing theme parks in Orlando. For me it's fun to see a little behind the curtain and look up at the lighting grid.

I could play the "but Disney" game and give you 57 examples of the same thing. Case in point, my profile picture. But whatever.

Ugh.
This area is from the time you visited a movie studio. The theme is that you see the buildings behind the facade. It never bothered me and as darkridelover states you can also see that at WDW in spades.

We as super fans spend a lot of time in the parks, combing over details and looking at aerial shots. The general public doesn't really see what we do. To them it feels immersive. Their eyes are drawn to and manipulated into looking at the things they're supposed to see.

To me, its like looking up on a dark ride and seeing the lighting grid. We all know it's there, we just usually focus on the amazing scenery around us and suspend our disbelief of that 10%.

360 immersion like Avatar and Diagon is amazing and we're going to see more of that in the future. But it's not economically practical for most applications. There are other ways to fool the eye and pull focus and those tricks are deployed all over the amazing theme parks in Orlando. For me it's fun to see a little behind the curtain and look up at the lighting grid.

I could play the "but Disney" game and give you 57 examples of the same thing. Case in point, my profile picture. But whatever.

I disagree completely. Had the gate been there originally, they would have themed the facade all the way up to it and also finished the walkway to match. That was back in 1989.

You dismissing the laziness and lack of attention as “only theme park fans would notice” is also concerning. They didn’t have to theme all 3 sides of transformers, as most people wouldn’t notice, yet they did.

But they moved the gate and didn’t do anything. It’s ugly and it didn’t need to be. Why make an incredible looking warehouse with amazing theming and not finish the other side that, quite frankly, looks like obvious backstage. It’s more agregious than the FJ building IMO, because of how obvious it is.

And it’s not just overhead shots where it’s noticeable. It is noticeable, period. @AliciaStella has also said as much.

Are we just cool excusing sloppy (or in this case, zero) theming now because “only theme park fans” would notice?

This area is from the time you visited a movie studio. The theme is that you see the buildings behind the facade. It never bothered me and as darkridelover states you can also see that at WDW in spades.

Umm, no. They moved the first aid and employee entrance back when they built F&F.
It went themed all the way to the gate. They moved the fence back and left a giant white building and completely different ground.
It has nothing to do with being a studio.

Last edited:
I disagree completely. Had the gate been there originally, they would have themed the facade all the way up to it and also finished the walkway to match. That was back in 1989.

You dismissing the laziness and lack of attention as “only theme park fans would notice” is also concerning. They didn’t have to theme all 3 sides of transformers, as most people wouldn’t notice, yet they did.

But they moved the gate and didn’t do anything. It’s ugly and it didn’t need to be. Why make an incredible looking warehouse with amazing theming and not finish the other side that, quite frankly, looks like obvious backstage. It’s more agregious than the FJ building IMO, because of how obvious it is.

And it’s not just overhead shots where it’s noticeable. It is noticeable, period. @AliciaStella has also said as much.

Are we just cool excusing sloppy (or in this case, zero) theming now because “only theme park fans” would notice?

Umm, no. They moved the first aid and employee entrance back when they built F&F.
It went themed all the way to the gate. They moved the fence back and left a giant white building and completely different ground.

And should I bring up the Forbidden Journey building...

I think the 10% thing is a good assessment. I loved the direction Universal was headed (before Fallon and F&F) but they aren’t going to become the leader of the industry until they do it 100% every time.

What kills me is when I go into Diagon, every angle in perfect, complete realism....You know they are capable of it, they just choose not too

I liked the faux warehouse facade they had for the F&F grand opening

I get that they have to get truck into the park every once in a while and balloons for Christmas, but c'mon

How visible are the underwater walkways when viewed from ground level? It almost looks like they're keeping those a little higher than the rest of the fountains because they're much brighter when viewed from above.

EDIT: Anyone remember those tornado siren looking speakers that were placed earlier? Any idea what those are for now that we have legit (& nice looking) speakers everywhere?

Reactions: Andysol

How visible are the underwater walkways when viewed from ground level? It almost looks like they're keeping those a little higher than the rest of the fountains because they're much brighter when viewed from above.

EDIT: Anyone remember those tornado siren looking speakers that were placed earlier? Any idea what those are for now that we have legit (& nice looking) speakers everywhere?
It isn't visible at all from in the park...Even if you know where to look...Unless they remove the tint from the water