Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread | Page 178 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Are we really having this convo based on bird’s eye models and photos? Lol
Based on concept art/video, models and Bio's aerials... I think it's fair to critique some of the park's decisions when it comes to specific areas. I haven't critiqued the design choices of what's being built, but I think it's fair to judge the lack of theming on some of the showbuildings that will be seen quite easily like the HTTYD theater (which per Universal's concept art will have a forest mural painted on it), and the backside of the SNW-area just having a flat painted jungle instead of additional temple theming.

I hope I'm wrong, and want to be proven wrong. I want nothing but the best for the parks.

It's also disingenuous to compare to DAK which, while well done in its own way, is less ambitious in the variety of themed environments and elevation.
We can argue about the semantics of "less ambitious." I might say there's less "variety" to the environments in Animal Kingdom relative to what Epic Universe is aiming for. I think it's still an ambitious park on a design level.

Based on concept art/video, models and Bio's aerials... I think it's fair to critique some of the park's decisions when it comes to specific areas. I haven't critiqued the design choices of what's being built, but I think it's fair to judge the lack of theming on some of the showbuildings that will be seen quite easily like the HTTYD theater (which per Universal's concept art will have a forest mural painted on it), and the backside of the SNW-area just having a flat painted jungle instead of additional temple theming.

I hope I'm wrong, and want to be proven wrong. I want nothing but the best for the parks.
And all offer nothing from the guest's perspective.

It's way toooooo early for this, and wayyy too nitpicky.

HAGRID PATHS ALL OVER AGAIN.
A maintenance/emergency access path is a far different situation than a showbuilding that can be themed if they choose to.

Ground level POV
1718637249327.png
1718637265142.png
Pretty obvious to me this will be very visible unfortunately. To the right you can see there's a guest accessible path that will go right up to the exit of the theater.

A maintenance/emergency access path is a far different situation than a showbuilding that can be themed if they choose to.

Pretty obvious to me this will be very visible unfortunately. To the right you can see there's a guest accessible path that will go right up to the exit of the theater.
That is not ground level. It also a pre-vis animatic. It still doesn’t change that it’s wayyy toooo early.

And re: Hagrid - it still didn't change the pages of complaints...

That is not ground level. It also a pre-vis animatic. It still doesn’t change that it’s wayyy toooo early.

And re: Hagrid - it still didn't change the pages of complaints...
I agree that it's early... but all the evidence points to this being an themed part of the land. Unless Universal is purposefully hiding theming from all of the concept art, visual animations, model... it all points to this being unthemed.

The complaints about Hagrid's pathways were always bizarre when the unthemed drop showbuilding and visible utility/electrical units were far more egregious.

Yes, terrible painted trees...
Hagrids-Mural-1024x683.jpg

Remember this discussion and how terrible it was going to look? Amazing Photos Reveal New Details for Hagrid's Motorbike Coaster

How many people even notice it now?

From the ground things will look MUCH different than from the air. Especially with real trees planted in front.

From the ground things will look MUCH different than from the air. Especially with real trees planted in front.
I agree - things do look different from the ground.
1718638288864.png
Image from Hagrid's queue.
1718638363492.png
Image from on-ride POV

Obviously still visible, and very easy to spot. No need to look/strain your eye to see it.

Again, these things don't impact the experience as Hagrid (and HTTYD's attractions) will be great, but these minor things do bother me as a theme park fan.

Reactions: belloq87
I agree that it's early... but all the evidence points to this being an themed part of the land. Unless Universal is purposefully hiding theming from all of the concept art, visual animations, model... it all points to this being unthemed.
Because it's very possible you won't be able see any show building from ground-level. We won't know until we get in.
I agree - things do look different from the ground.
View attachment 22228
Image from Hagrid's queue.
View attachment 22229
Image from on-ride POV

Obviously still visible, and very easy to spot. No need to look/strain your eye to see it.

Again, these things don't impact the experience as Hagrid (and HTTYD's attractions) will be great, but these minor things do bother me as a theme park fan.

Taken right at the ride's opening. Now do today where the trees have grown in and covered the show building.

Theme parks are illusions, even the most impressive illusions can look bad when not viewed correctly just like in magic.
Obviously, but this illusion doesn't work lol

Because it's very possible you won't be able see any show building from ground-level. We won't know until we get in.

Taken right at the ride's opening. Now do today where the trees have grown in and covered the show building.
I visit the park's frequently, so it's not like I'm just seeing the parks from aerial images solely. I have no recent photos myself, but was able to find one from February on Twitter. Very easy to see both the drop building and the utilities building. And this is before they "shed" the parks prior to hurricane season.

(you can tell this is recent, as the netting was not there opening day)
1718639269394.png

The trees have grown in, but that building is massive.

Attachments

• 1718639257606.png
    1718639257606.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Reactions: GA-MBIT
Wait for a ground level POV, wait for the trees to grow in, you're not supposed to look that way, most people don't care...

Every time we have this conversation it progresses the same way.
What are you talking about? You're meant to literally view the HTTYD theater that way... since that's the entrance.

For Hagrid... that's the queue entrance... your're meant to overlook the entire Forbidden Forest area...

It's one thing to turn around on an attraction like Spider-Man/Transformers/Gringotts where your vehicle is specifically forcing you to view a specific point, and something like this where guests are allowed to look anywhere.

and it's still something extremely nitpicky at the end of the day.
Yes, but where theme park nerds in a theme park forum.

What are you talking about? You're meant to literally view the HTTYD theater that way... since that's the entrance.

For Hagrid... that's the queue entrance... your're meant to overlook the entire Forbidden Forest area...

It's one thing to turn around on an attraction like Spider-Man/Transformers/Gringotts where your vehicle is specifically forcing you to view a specific point, and something like this where guests are allowed to look anywhere.

Yes, but where theme park nerds in a theme park forum.

And those same theme park nerds are saying it's nitpicky and too early...

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts