Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

I think we should be looking at Beijing for a modern example of this. They went vertical last year (or two years ago, for those reading this in 2020), and they're opening in Summer 2021. That would put a groundbreaking at late next year (or this year?) for Epic Universe.

The big question is, could we start even earlier than Beijing? That park is mostly clones after all. This park is almost entirely new.
I also think that the timeline will be similar to Beijing. Beijing does have lots of clone ride systems (although not all are clones), but lots of the themed areas are new (JW, Minions, KFP, Transformers) so it could be somewhat comparable to EU.

I expect that construction on the major infrastructure projects (Kirkman, BoH) will begin in the first half of 2020, followed by construction on the park beginning in the second half of 2020. If the park is not vertical by the end of 2020, then I would no longer expect it to open by summer 2023.

What’s great about theme parks is that a ton of scenic work has already been going for EU for awhile. By the time the bones for the lands go up we’ll be seeing theming go up luckily split. Same thing with AAs, interior sections, etc. Amazing really how fast it’ll all come together at the end after years of basic construction on the ground.

What’s great about theme parks is that a ton of scenic work has already been going for EU for awhile. By the time the bones for the lands go up we’ll be seeing theming go up luckily split. Same thing with AAs, interior sections, etc. Amazing really how fast it’ll all come together at the end after years of basic construction on the ground.

Wait, what? I'm confused by this. Are they already working on building the theming stuff?

Spider-Man ride was set up and testing for years off site before IOA was even built.

The actual construction of a theme park is just the part we see, but there’s many more years of work leading to it.

I get Spider-Man, cause that's a ride prototype, but theming is a different matter. Couldn't stuff still get cut at this stage? If it does, then they wasted money building theming that never shows up. You'd think that they would wait until they started pouring the foundations to make sure they already know everything that will be there.

I get Spider-Man, cause that's a ride prototype, but theming is a different matter. Couldn't stuff still get cut at this stage? If it does, then they wasted money building theming that never shows up. You'd think that they would wait until they started pouring the foundations to make sure they already know everything that will be there.
If stuff was cut, it was done months (more likely years) ago.

but also, they start with the most sure things, (or what might take the longest,) and work towards the rest. Nintendo stuff was started super early, while they were doing it for the other parks. Why wait when you’re already making the stuff anyway? Then they started stuff for another land as plans got finalized. And then another.

if the plans are ready, there’s no reason not to get a head start.

I mean we’ve had Jurassic Coaster track sitting in a field for how long now? If the plans are ready, and the budget’s in place, no reason for the manufacturer to not start manufacturing. (Of course this one may have been a case of the plans being delayed, but you get my point lol.)

One thing I hope for in 2020 is another leak on one of these lands like we got for Nintendo. Of course to not be posted on here but still, gimme Frankie’s Village

This park being built doesn't have a like for like comparison. You can take elements from other parks but like others have said, Beijing is mostly clones, IOA was 20 years ago and had a good chunk of infrastructure already there from USF. You can't compare it to building an addition to a park because everything else needs to get built and they have the luxury of not working around an operating resort.

Add on top of this, the challenge of trying to build a full park, while Disney are building like never before. You're going to have a labor shortage or risk paying over the going rate.

And to answer your question, with everything going on at both Universal and Disney and the rest of the world, you only have a handful of companies who can do the kind of theming that a park of this calibre demands and even fewer who Universal trust and have worked with before to know that what that company makes is going to last the decades that is needed for it, especially in Florida which has a ridiculous amount of UV, heavy rain and hurricane threats.

It's good to get a ahead of the curve. Last thing they want is everything arriving on site and not fitting, it gives some flexibility to get things sorted. Especially when a park like this is built in stages. One setback here or there can have a huge knock on effect. Look at the fire before Volcano Bay opened when part of the slides were destroyed, I think there was a fire with Merry Go Round at Seuss Landing. Accidents happen and need to be prepared for.

I’m sure there are hundreds of photos already band will surface after the park is open.

I hope that Universal are making a documentary about the building of this park.
I’m sure they are, they made an hour long one on the Wizarding worlds and this project is bigger for them so I’d be shocked we don’t get something. Would be too easy to advertise it and put it on Peacock and NBC prime time.