Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread | Page 105 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Construction Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also heard from Universal Core that one reason for why Ministry of Magic was changed from a trackless ride to the SCOOP was due to budget cuts.
It was changed from suspended ride to a modified scoop-like vehicle due to saving money long term on upkeep costs. All suspended ride systems across the company have been canceled due to fears of costly upkeep or possible downtime issues.

Before that it was switched from trackless to suspended because all trackless concepts were scrapped across the entire company, probably for the same reason ironically.

But we can move this type of talk to the speculation thread and not in the construction thread. Apologies.

Also heard from Universal Core that one reason for why Ministry of Magic was changed from a trackless ride to the SCOOP was due to budget cuts.
I’m fairly certain this false and also consider Universal saw great things with Jurassic World in Beijing which uses the reliable scoop vehicles with new generation of animatronics and screens.

Reactions: Mike S
I’m fairly certain this false and also consider Universal saw great things with Jurassic World in Beijing which uses the reliable scoop vehicles with new generation of animatronics and screens.
Funnily enough, the Beijing Jurassic World ride was also designed as a suspended ride system before it switched to the scoop as well.

It was changed from suspended ride to a modified scoop-like vehicle due to saving money long term on upkeep costs. All suspended ride systems across the company have been canceled due to fears of costly upkeep or possible downtime issues.

Before that it was switched from trackless to suspended because all trackless concepts were scrapped across the entire company, probably for the same reason ironically.

But we can move this type of talk to the speculation thread and not in the construction thread. Apologies.
Downtime from what I heard is a common problem across WDW's trackless rides (Rise, MMRR, Rat) as another user on this forum claimed all 3 average over an hour of downtime daily. As much as I like what can be pulled off with trackless tech along with the fact that some of them like MMRR have no height requirement which is great for families and people prone to motion sickness, the tech clearly needs more time in the oven to overcome the downtime issues. Universal has patented things somewhat recently like ride vehicles that can be guided by infrared light and some form of automated vehicles, which makes me think they will try again with trackless, but only when the tech is more developed which would help with not only the downtime issue, but lower costs on the upkeep.
Disney appears to be interested in SCOOP like vehicles now as well. The TDS Peter Pan ride is using an EMV the sounds very much like the SCOOP. It even has defined sight lines in a way so the vehicles can seamlessly transition from practical set pieces to domed projection screens to give off the illusion of flying. Doing a SCOOP ride vehicle that can do what the Pan one can above is something I would love to see Universal try to pull off at some point. The Avengers Multiverse E ticket for DCA is also heavily rumored to be using this Pan EMV as well. Assuming it was not scrapped under Iger.

Looking into it all day, doesn’t seem like that’s the reasoning. I don’t think it’s a shortage problem.

My guess is the needs of the park may have shifted since it was initially designed, and they may want to rethink some of the hub’s offerings, specifically on the right side (for whatever reason).

Rather than have to wait for redesigns to be ready, permits and plans approved, and work to be completed, I bet they just put it off till after the park opens… so they can open the park proper as soon as possible.

That said, the food court does still appear in the most recent site plans, but it’s not yet permitted to build, so guessing it’s postponed. Cassini on the other hand, was replaced with what looks like a gazebo, which may only be temporary until they come up with something new.
My concern is that hub is a very, very big area and, with the garden-like design, is going to need a fairly significant number of structures to feel whole - empty areas will seem more notable then they might in a more compact, dense land.

I understand the industry-wide - indeed, economy-wide - forces that might incline Comcast towards cuts, but with a floundering Disney and a new park in the offing that has already seen some cuts, this seems a particularly disadvantageous moment at which to tighten the purse strings.

Happy to hear about the table service restaurants, though.

Funnily enough, the Beijing Jurassic World ride was also designed as a suspended ride system before it switched to the scoop as well.
I want that Jurassic World ride so freaking badly to come to Orlando, I don’t care how they do it.
Downtime from what I heard is a common problem across WDW's trackless rides (Rise, MMRR, Rat) as another user on this forum claimed all 3 average over an hour of downtime daily. As much as I like what can be pulled off with trackless tech along with the fact that some of them like MMRR have no height requirement which is great for families and people prone to motion sickness, the tech clearly needs more time in the oven to overcome the downtime issues. Universal has patented things somewhat recently like ride vehicles that can be guided by infrared light and some form of automated vehicles, which makes me think they will try again with trackless, but only when the tech is more developed which would help with not only the downtime issue, but lower costs on the upkeep.

Disney appears to be interested in SCOOP like vehicles now as well. The TDS Peter Pan ride is using an EMV the sounds very much like the SCOOP. It even has defined sight lines in a way so the vehicles can seamlessly transition from practical set pieces to domed projection screens to give off the illusion of flying. Doing a SCOOP ride vehicle that can do what the Pan one can above is something I would love to see Universal try to pull off at some point. The Avengers Multiverse E ticket for DCA is also heavily rumored to be using this Pan EMV as well. Assuming it was not scrapped under Iger.
I wonder what downtime is like for Pooh and Beauty and the Beast in Tokyo. Also that concept for Peter Pan sounds very interesting, can’t wait to see it.

I'm wondering if Universal has adjusted their Epic opening year, or two, attendance downward from the original projections. If that has happened, it would explain cutting a few eating establishments, that could easily be added, if the need arises, after the initial year or so.

I'm wondering if Universal has adjusted their Epic opening year, or two, attendance downward from the original projections. If that has happened, it would explain cutting a few eating establishments, that could easily be added, if the need arises, after the initial year or so.

Or they realized how popular their festivals in USF are and want some kitchen and serving space in the hub for it.

Or they realized a viewing spot for the lagoon show is better than a restaurant.

Or they found guests shifting away from Italian and didn’t have enough time to develop a new concept for opening.

Lots of reasons that aren’t “Universal is cutting costs”.

Or they realized how popular their festivals in USF are and want some kitchen and serving space in the hub for it.

Or they realized a viewing spot for the lagoon show is better than a restaurant.

Or they found guests shifting away from Italian and didn’t have enough time to develop a new concept for opening.

Lots of reasons that aren’t “Universal is cutting costs”.

Could be... but I think operations and their current issues staffing the resort might have impacted the decision as well.

I realize that UNI's suspended ride record isn't great but could the lackluster response to the Jurassic Flyer powered suspended coaster also factor in? As in, they found that it did not move the needle much?

I think it comes back to that, yes.

Could be... but I think operations and their current issues staffing the resort might have impacted the decision as well.

Good point!

It seems fair to say IoA overbuilt quick-serve restaurants (Wimpys, Dagwoods, Green Eggs n Ham, Capt America Diner have all seen months and years-long closures at various times), but underbuilt bars (Tree Bar was the busiest part of Lost Continent even before its make-over). Any correction to the ratio seems smart.

It seems fair to say IoA overbuilt quick-serve restaurants (Wimpys, Dagwoods, Green Eggs n Ham, Capt America Diner have all seen months and years-long closures at various times), but underbuilt bars (Tree Bar was the busiest part of Lost Continent even before its make-over). Any correction to the ratio seems smart.

This was an issue I was hoping Epic would solve. I would have assumed they would be wise and consolidate the QSRs inside the hub with the exception of SNW to maximize their popularity/efficiency. Somehow, IOA has more QSR locations than MK (including the ones they keep closed for 95% of the year like Tomorrowland Terrace).

Still shocked that Universal hasn't expanded bars inside their existing parks. Finnegan's, Alcatraz, Baseline are extremely popular at the parks, why not expand and offer a wider selection with more seating/theming? I could spend hours at a Jurassic-tiki bar overlooking the Raptor M&G if they replaced Pizza Predatoria with a themed bar.

This was an issue I was hoping Epic would solve. I would have assumed they would be wise and consolidate the QSRs inside the hub with the exception of SNW to maximize their popularity/efficiency. Somehow, IOA has more QSR locations than MK (including the ones they keep closed for 95% of the year like Tomorrowland Terrace).

Still shocked that Universal hasn't expanded bars inside their existing parks. Finnegan's, Alcatraz, Baseline are extremely popular at the parks, why not expand and offer a wider selection with more seating/theming? I could spend hours at a Jurassic-tiki bar overlooking the Raptor M&G if they replaced Pizza Predatoria with a themed bar.

It’s not just the total quantity of locations but capacity. MK has Pecos and Cosmic Rays, easily those two locations provide as much dining at MK as probably half of the quick service locations in IOA. As for bars, well, it’s a balancing act. Ask the Star Cruiser how having tons of sloshed adults around turned out.

It’s not just the total quantity of locations but capacity. MK has Pecos and Cosmic Rays, easily those two locations provide as much dining at MK as probably half of the quick service locations in IOA.

That's sort of what I was expecting, higher-capacity QSRs so they don't need to have so many locations and end up closing them down halfway through the day making the park look like a deserted ghost town. I know it's difficult to do at the current parks, but I would have assumed they would have learned their lesson and tried to become a bit more efficient. And it's not like limiting the number of locations will limit their dining offerings as Uni likes to serve the same burgers/pizza menu.