Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 146 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was to speculate, I think they had plans to make a flying simulator using the patents they filed a few years ago:
View attachment 11800View attachment 11801View attachment 11802View attachment 11803View attachment 11804

I think for whatever reason, it wasn't a feasible idea. The capacity could have been too low, it might have been technically unreliable, if somebody was sick it would land downwards onto the screen, it could have been uncomfortable, it could have been boring, they couldn't develop the right idea, who knows.
Ignoring the permits, there are like half a dozen companies that could build you a flying theater concept they already have in rotation.

it’s baffling they’re not building one

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Ignoring the permits, there are like half a dozen companies that could build you a flying theater concept they already have in rotation.

it’s baffling they’re not building one

Like @Cup_Of_Coffee mentioned, I think comparisons are going to be made and an off the shelf system probably isn't going to cut it. I know you're not a fan of FOP but it is still considered as a great ride.

Comparisons between Kong and F&F or Spider-Man and Transformers don't really matter because the winner is still a Universal ride.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Like @Cup_Of_Coffee mentioned, I think comparisons are going to be made and an off the shelf system probably isn't going to cut it. I know you're not a fan of FOP but it is still considered as a great ride.

Comparisons between Kong and F&F or Spider-Man and Transformers don't really matter because the winner is still a Universal ride.

I think this makes the assumption that Creative should care about 1:1 comparisons. I don’t think they should. They should care about giving people the best possible representation of what they’re building, and I just don’t think a coaster will cut it as the main ride here.

Would an off the shelf be worse than FoP? Maybe, though I’d be hard pressed to believe Uni would make a ride that dull. But it certainly would be a guest hit either way, as people just love that kind of ride, and it represents HTTYD to a tee

I think this makes the assumption that Creative should care about 1:1 comparisons. I don’t think they should. They should care about giving people the best possible representation of what they’re building, and I just don’t think a coaster will cut it as the main ride here.

Would an off the shelf be worse than FoP? Maybe, though I’d be hard pressed to believe Uni would make a ride that dull. But it certainly would be a guest hit either way, as people just love that kind of ride, and it represents HTTYD to a tee

If they're wanting to give people the best concept they can then that might be why the scrapped the idea if those patents wouldn't work. If an off the shelf won't cut it then why do it at all.

But yeah, building a coaster is a little baffling. If they weren't building the Donkey Kong coaster, I could see wanting a coaster that appeals to kids but if Donkey Kong delivers like I think it's going to then that makes building another coaster even more baffling.

If they're wanting to give people the best concept they can then that might be why the scrapped the idea if those patents wouldn't work. If an off the shelf won't cut it then why do it at all.

But yeah, building a coaster is a little baffling. If they weren't building the Donkey Kong coaster, I could see wanting a coaster that appeals to kids but if Donkey Kong delivers like I think it's going to then that makes building another coaster even more baffling.
I mean, I'm all for a coaster. The more coasters the better. It just seems like the wrong thing to be the marquee ride

I have no idea what their reasons may be, however, we should consider them simply not wanting to open a new park with screen rides after bad response to too many screen rides in recent years.

Reactions: tielo and belloq87
I have no idea what their reasons may be, however, we should consider them simply not wanting to open a new park with screen rides after bad response to too many screen rides in recent years.

I was thinking that myself and I have a hunch that the screen argument is going to tear its head again once Bourne opens.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Ya this is a good point as well. Probably combination of all the above. I just don’t want Universal to over correct and never do anything with screens again. But, with the choices they’ve been making of late post F&F I’m trusting them more.

But re:comparisons, don’t be an obvious comparison to a competitors ride. If it’s your own then as Scott said, it’s a win cause it’s Universal.

Reactions: belloq87

That seems like a pretty drastic overcorrection to me

But re:comparisons, don’t be an obvious comparison to a competitors ride. If it’s your own then as Scott said, it’s a win cause it’s Universal.

Probably shouldn't build Velocicoaster then. It's just a ripoff of Taron or Pantheon or countless other coasters.
:lol:

That seems like a pretty drastic overcorrection to me

Probably shouldn't build Velocicoaster then. It's just a ripoff of Taron or Pantheon or countless other coasters.
:lol:
I’m talking about direct competition (at their level) that is in the same city. Not the same comparison imo. The majority (or healthy majority, not vast) are likely unaware those exist so it’s not the same. Sure, it’ll be similar but in my opinion it’s just not the same.

I’m talking about direct competition (at their level) that is in the same city. Not the same comparison imo. The majority (or healthy majority, not vast) are likely unaware those exist so it’s not the same. Sure, it’ll be similar but in my opinion it’s just not the same.
It’s just never something that should ever come into consideration. If it’s the best possible ride, they should *never* consider if it’s similar to something the competition did. Because guests do not care as long as it’s good.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I was thinking that myself and I have a hunch that the screen argument is going to tear its head again once Bourne opens.
In my experience, Universal is always "too" something

Too many screens
Too many coasters
Too many thrill rides
Too much HP

The GP is probably asking for less screens maybe..But many of the anti-Universal arguments are over-inflated by theme park Twitter

Also, any speculation of a HTTYD simulator was likely a direct result of those patents. It wasn’t like the monsters ride where we had rumors and insider info. In other words, I don’t believe this was something they cut, so much as something we all assumed was was going to happen but didn’t.

Reactions: tielo and belloq87
In my experience, Universal is always "too" something

Too many screens
Too many coasters
Too many thrill rides
Too much HP

The GP is probably asking for less screens maybe..But many of the anti-Universal arguments are over-inflated by theme park Twitter

Ding ding ding we have a winner.

Reactions: shiekra38
Also, any speculation of a HTTYD simulator was likely a direct result of those patents. It wasn’t like the monsters ride where we had rumors and insider info. In other words, I don’t believe this was something they cut, so much as something we all assumed was was going to happen but didn’t.

Sure. I'm not saying they cut it. I'm saying it's dumb that they're not even attempting it haha

Reactions: Alicia
Status
Not open for further replies.