Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 147 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience, Universal is always "too" something

Too many screens
Too many coasters
Too many thrill rides
Too much HP

The GP is probably asking for less screens maybe..But many of the anti-Universal arguments are over-inflated by theme park Twitter
Epic Universe should bring balance to the force.

Reactions: belloq87
I have no idea what their reasons may be, however, we should consider them simply not wanting to open a new park with screen rides after bad response to too many screen rides in recent years.
Could well be, but I think -- much like ditching the 3D at Minion Mayhem -- that would be Universal hearing the wrong thing from the feedback.

The message that they should have been hearing was not “Stop building screen rides anywhere,” but rather, “Stop building screen rides in Universal Studios Florida for a while.”

I was thinking that myself and I have a hunch that the screen argument is going to tear its head again once Bourne opens.
While I was personally hoping for more of a "live" show experience than T2 was, the fact that Bourne replaces something that was already heavily reliant on projected media mitigates its potential "screenz" criticism. This isn't a Twister/Earthquake-Disaster/Jaws situation, where physical attractions were replaced with simulators.

In my experience, Universal is always "too" something

Too many screens
Too many coasters
Too many thrill rides
Too much HP

The GP is probably asking for less screens maybe..But many of the anti-Universal arguments are over-inflated by theme park Twitter
While I don't necessarily disagree, those "too" complaints still speak to some underlying perceptions about Universal that are floating around out there.

Last edited:
Also, any speculation of a HTTYD simulator was likely a direct result of those patents. It wasn’t like the monsters ride where we had rumors and insider info. In other words, I don’t believe this was something they cut, so much as something we all assumed was was going to happen but didn’t.
I had never heard of a HTTYD flight SIM from any of my sources. And I mentioned years ago, when we were discussing HTTYD going into Lost Continent, that UC didn't want to do a flight sim. because of similarities with FoP. I was just assuming all the talk of a flight sim was coming from folks who know more that me.

Who know is this coaster something special. Maybe at one point the track goes into a grotto and the track is ported to a simulator. After flying virtually through a huge cave you get connected seamlessly to another track and continue your ride.
Universal Creative, call me 0031 06 190....
If the coaster is to Hagrid's level of theming but simply just more tame, I'm sure the coaster will be terrific. I think the issue is that no matter what its going to be hard to get the "flying" experience across on a coaster compared to a simulator. Clearly they seemed worried about FoP concerns, so lets hope that means they go all in for this coaster and it truly is Hagrid's but more for kids. That'd be a major winner in my book. Didn't someone mention this is their "answer" to SDD in Toy Story Land? Already seems more impressive and well themed than that. Coaster will likely be good I'm not sure thats the concern here, but for "How To Train Your Dragon" it doesn't seem like we're going to get to ride on a dragon in an E ticket format which id think is going to naturally disappoint a lot of people. Just my take.

Reactions: RFRees
If I remember correctly shortly after we got the concept art Alicia said each land was rumored to have two major attractions and varying numbers of minor attractions so if that’s still believed to be the case we have a lot to be excited about with the httyd show

If I remember correctly shortly after we got the concept art Alicia said each land was rumored to have two major attractions and varying numbers of minor attractions so if that’s still believed to be the case we have a lot to be excited about with the httyd show
I bet the show will be terrific, as with the land itself and the coaster, but a major part of the films is about the freeing feeling of flying on a dragon and it doesn't seem we will get that experience here. Just a missed opportunity. I get it all the various reasons why they may have not done it though but still, I could see it being an issue with the land when it seems like that will be an experience that people will want but might be lacking. The flat spinning ride sounds fun but personally thats not what I go to Orlando theme parks for and I'm sure based on what prices will be that GP guests will want more of a "flying" exeprience. But, lets see how everything plays out.

If the old Lost Continent/HTTYD rumors were true, the new HTTYD land at EU is almost surely a recreation of those old plans. From what is apparent from the EU rumors, the full service restaurant would have replaced Mythos and live show would have replaced Sindbad.

If that's right, that leaves one more attraction which would have replaced Poseidon's Fury. I would have assumed this would be a flight sim, but I suppose it's possible it was the coaster?

If it was the coaster... Would there have been enough space for this? Was this designed before they had Hagrid in mind, or would UOR somehow have put these two rides near one another?

Last edited:
The HTTYD land is almost surely a recreation of the plans they had made for the retheme of Lost Continent. From what is apparent from the EU rumors, the full table service restaurant would have replaced Mythos and live show would have replaced Sindbad.

If that's right, that leaves one more attraction which would have replaced Poseidon's Fury. I would have assumed this would be a flight sim, but I suppose it's possible it was the coaster?

If true... Would there have been enough space for this? Was this designed before they had Hagrid in mind, or would UOR somehow have put these two rides near one another?

There was never any plans for HTTYD to replace Lost Continent

My lord, just imagining IOA with Hogsmeade, Jurassic Park, Marvel Comics, AND HTTYD???? Heaven. Wish it happened but glad we're getting the land elsewhere.

Very unlikely, because the EU HTTYD land is significantly larger than LC.
Do we have size comparisons?

Keep in mind that the HTTYD ride looks to run across the whole land, it's not just designated to a specific plot like Hagrid is. It's not that hard to imagine a coaster that runs throughout the Lost Continent, after leveling Poseidon and taking advantage of every piece of land in the area. It's also possible they had a smaller scale version planned, but they super sized it for EU.

And some people might be wondering why this is important at all. I think looking at old rumors and ride concepts could give us an idea for what is coming. The relative size, design, and structure for some of these lands/attractions could be comparable to the existing lands/attractions they were rumored to replace.

@Alicia (and fellow readers)...

I finally got around to listening to the rest of Average Dis Nerd #33 with you as the guest, and I found your discussion around a the HUB to be surprising. The discussion starts around the 57 minute mark, here's the quote (for those who haven't listened and for easier reference):
... I have a theory, that the HUB may stay open later than the actual themed lands. So that anyone who wants to stay, have dinner, watch the fireworks, can stay in the HUB. And then also hotel guests might get free access to the HUB after the lands close. Like, you can't go on the rides if you don't have a ticket. But please, have dinner and spend money in our HUB.

You also seems to reference the idea that the HUB is the 'entertainment district' which Universal had mentioned was coming along with EU:
Because there's, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, seven or eight restaurants in the HUB. And half of them full service, and a couple of them really upscale dining locations, so destinations unto themselves. So come in, have a bite, and then watch the fireworks, even though, you know, you don't have a theme park ticket, is a pretty good perk.

The discussion turns to the CityWalk 2.0 concept, which you then say:
Well there was a rumor floating around that the entire HUB would be free access open all day. And now the rumor is that they've realized that might be hard to do crowd control and it might just be a general normal theme park. But the truth might be somewhere in between. That's my theory they might close the theme park lands and they could open up the HUB. You're still going to have to pay for parking, unless you Uber in. Or maybe they'll do the free parking like they do at CityWalk. It could be very well be that.

I understand that this is nowhere near an exact confirmation, but this should be a surprise to a lot of people.

First, this brings support to the idea that the HUB could stay open late (which is what I've been saying). This is in contrast to posters who have been a strict "no" on any form of open HUB.

Second, this brings support to the idea that the HUB is the entertainment district (which is what I've been saying). This is in contract to posters who were expecting HUB to be a 100% fully "theme park" with CityWalk 2.0 being elsewhere. From the sounds of it, the HUB might have a few attractions, but mostly shops and restaurants.

And as a side note, very happy to hear the discussion / theories about eventual plans for Site B, including garages, entertainment, and another theme park. While I don't think we can start guessing on IPs/etc., it is interesting to see what space they are leaving aside for any eventual plans they may have. I have my eye on a parcel of land which seems a perfect fit for any future garages... if they use this parcel for hotels, well then my dreams are crushed! lol

I could very well see the parks (Hub included, ticket needed) being open from something like 8-9 or 9-9 or some version of that. Then at 9 you have your firework show, and all the lands close. Once the lands are closed the show is over then the Hub is free and open until 2:00 am. Free parking like Citywalk. I think the Hub is certainly not going to be free during the day however. That concept never made sense to me because the lines to get into each land would be a queue in itself if everyone needs to scan a ticket. This theory makes the most sense to me, somewhere in the middle. The Hub is the dining/entertainment district while also serving as the "hub" of the theme park. I could easily see day tickets to the hub being available too for dining and shopping at a lower/increibdly lower rate, just means no rides. Makes sense to me.

Reactions: RFRees
Status
Not open for further replies.