Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 169 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who's underwhelmed by the possibility of Harry Potter MoM replacing Fantastic Beasts? I mean, it's the Wizarding World equivalent of a City Hall. Visually, it might be gorgeous, but as a concept, it's as exciting as a visit to the Star Wars DMV. At least with FB, we could have gotten some killer animatronics. Now, if it's Harry Potter characters mixed with Newt's creatures, then meh? :shrug:

What is Diagon Alley but the Wizarding World equivalent of a mall? What about FB would give us great AAs that "Harry Potter characters mixed with Newt's creatures" can't? What is FB but that statement minus Harry Potter characters?

What is Diagon Alley but the Wizarding World equivalent of a mall? What about FB would give us great AAs that "Harry Potter characters mixed with Newt's creatures" can't? What is FB but that statement minus Harry Potter characters?

Just to echo some of the other posters, it seems kind of redundant. There's already two lands with HP characters. Bringing in the FB actors would freshen things up a little bit as opposed to relying on the same B-level cast from Potter.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up being wrong about this. It'd only be the (checks watch) 473,929,485th time.

Reactions: WaterToWade
Am I the only one who's underwhelmed by the possibility of Harry Potter MoM replacing Fantastic Beasts? I mean, it's the Wizarding World equivalent of a City Hall. Visually, it might be gorgeous, but as a concept, it's as exciting as a visit to the Star Wars DMV.

Have...have you read the books and watched the movies? The Department of Mysteries is an awesome locations

There is so much inanely stupid and magical stuff to go through in the Ministry. And simply the idea of pitting Arthur Weasley against Dolores Umbridge (versus any character in FB) is a friggin delightful idea.

Have...have you read the books and watched the movies? The Department of Mysteries is an awesome locations

Yep, and I'm just not sure there's a lot of attraction potential. There's no shops or restaurants (that I know of) and the only ride idea that comes to mind is the elevator concept.

There is so much inanely stupid and magical stuff to go through in the Ministry. And simply the idea of pitting Arthur Weasley against Dolores Umbridge (versus any character in FB) is a friggin delightful idea.

I’ll be there day one if I can cast spells at Umbridge.

The Knight Bus ride just doesn't sound exciting to me. Part of me wishes we got a ministry ride still in France w/FB and the Ford ride on the MIB/FF plot and expand London that way. Keep San Francisco and add a show if you can or another sit-down restaurant to spice up the area. But nonetheless, the future of this resort is bright. Sad to see MIB go but I get it.

Since

Nah, Fallow's right, usually it takes about 2.5x to 3x the budget of a film to breakeven depending on how much money comes from overseas (the revenue split is lower for Overseas markets compared to domestic ones due to middlemen, currency differences, etc). Obviously, every film is different, but for almost every blockbuster out there, the marketing budget is at least as big as the film budget itself.

Wrt to theatrical splits, it's alot more ad hoc than people usually acknowledge, but remember, the amount a studio gets goes down as time goes on. For most blockbusters, studios make about 33% of the total BO on opening weekend; for the rest of that 67% of the BO, their split of the revenue steadily declines each week. Usually the average split shakes down to about 55% for domestic theaters and 40% for overseas, which is what the rule of thumb is. FB2 is actually pretty interesting because it made a much bigger percentage of its overall box office on opening weekend than is usual, but also, you gotta also remember that FB2 had the lowest opening weekend of any Potter film and also the lowest Cinemascore. People did not turn out for this one in very high numbers, and they didn't tell their friends to go in very high numbers either. Comparing international gross is tricky because the international market has grown so much in the past ten years, but in terms of domestic gross at least, FB2 is the lowest by a wiiiiiiiide margin, and that's a worrying place for the franchise to be in imho.

I think it's instructive to look at the profit breakdown for the first movie. Despite having a 150m higher worldwide gross, FB1 only made about 164.7m in profit; nothing to sneeze at, certainly, but that's less than A Star is Born. Using the 55%/40% rule of thumb, FB2 made about 76.7m less at the BO on a budget that's 20m higher. It still made money, certainly, but like, Shazam profits.

And as for it being movie 2/5, well, franchises tend to go down with each successive installment, with a few big exceptions like X-Men and the MCU. I think FB3 is a big risk right now.

Thanks for breaking this down, I was about to type it out until I saw you responded! There's a reason I specified 50% takeaway on average - studios get more in the opening weekends, theaters get more in the subsequent weeks. It evens out, generally.

Anyway, I'm not sure where his math is pointing to profitability. If marketing is 2x the budget of the film (which again is probably too high for most films), that means Fantastic Beasts cost roughly $600 mil... aka the cost it made!

Warner Bros has gotten very quiet about their "five movie plan." As Legacy pointed out, the number of films in a series are only as dependable as box office receipts.

Am I the only one who's underwhelmed by the possibility of Harry Potter MoM replacing Fantastic Beasts? I mean, it's the Wizarding World equivalent of a City Hall. Visually, it might be gorgeous, but as a concept, it's as exciting as a visit to the Star Wars DMV. At least with FB, we could have gotten some killer animatronics. Now, if it's Harry Potter characters mixed with Newt's creatures, then meh? :shrug:

Warner Bros definitely saw Crimes of Grindelwald as a flop. After all, this is the same studio who claimed they lost $167 million on Order of the Phoenix (a $150 million dollar film that brought in nearly a billion worldwide).
Hollywood math is its own universe. It has nothing to do with the real world.

I have never wanted to hex someone as much as i did umbridge when she fired trelawney.
Also, though i still would prefer FB Paris greatly, i do wanna clarify that Wizarding World cannon already establishes the Sirens Tail as a restaurant that can come with the british ministry, so it has material for at least one dining option. That being said, though it’s canon it never showed up in the books/movies, as it’s one movie scene was cut.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Status
Not open for further replies.