Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 171 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The marketing for IoA is a poor comparison. Universal not only opened a new park, but attempted a resort-wide rebrand. Then, a year after opening, the tourism industry crashed. Never mind that Universal’s marketing in general was nowhere near as good as it is now.
Well, we're in the middle of a pandemic, they're attempting to grow their resort to a full weeks worth, I don't think its as far off as some may think. No, its DEFINTELY not a 1:1 but I worry that its just not going to expand their base like crazy.
It's always good to remember that rumors are never fact. Beating a dead horse with this comparison, but "Van Helsing". :lol:

Just because the rumor of Knight Bus is out there doesn't mean it's on the docket. It's very possible that it was an idea that was tossed around to try to remedy the reaction from Supercharged but they have moved on from it, and it's possible it was one idea of many. I've heard several regarding Supercharged, which even includes... doing nothing. :lol:
Oh of course, but since its a rumor and theres little discussion to be had it may as well be discussed!

Absolutely, thats my entire point lol. My point is they're just making the Wizarding World about Potter and nothing else. Which obviously it mainly is, but Paris and Fantastic Beasts is just the perfect "Same, but different" type of land where it gives you all you want from the Wizarding World, without it being strictly another ride with Harry and the gang. Just makes the resort more diverse for your week long stay. Idk just my take but Potter is obviously a proven cash flow so I get it but I'm worried they could push their luck just a little bit.

Edit: While the Batuu comparisons to FB have been made, its not like we got full original trilogy lands before, where we have already here for Potter.

As Skip said, there was always going to be a Potter land in Universal's 3rd park - so what's the difference between calling it "The Land of Fantastic Beasts" to "Wizarding World: The Fantastic Beasts" or something along those lines? I don't think any rumor was being shared that was saying the focus of the ride/land was going to be on the original trio. I only saw the rumor of it not being tied directly to the new films outright.

Well, we're in the middle of a pandemic, they're attempting to grow their resort to a full weeks worth, I don't think its as far off as some may think. No, its DEFINTELY not a 1:1 but I worry that its just not going to expand their base like crazy.

It kinda is... by 2024, the pandemic will be behind us. Most analysts predict 2022 to be the year tourism bounces back to pre-COVID times.

Oh of course, but since its a rumor and theres little discussion to be had it may as well be discussed!

Oh, I'm not saying don't discuss it - just merely reminding we shouldn't assume it's happening either.

Reactions: Nico
As Skip said, there was always going to be a Potter land in Universal's 3rd park - so what's the difference between calling it "The Land of Fantastic Beasts" to "Wizarding World: The Fantastic Beasts" or something along those lines? I don't think any rumor was being shared that was saying the focus of the ride/land was going to be on the original trio. I only saw the rumor of it not being tied directly to the new films outright.

It kinda is... by 2024, the pandemic will be behind us. Most analysts predict 2022 to be the year tourism bounces back to pre-COVID times.

Oh, I'm not saying don't discuss it - just merely reminding we shouldn't assume it's happening either.
Well I'm mainly discussing the rumor of it being a potential Ford Anglia and British Ministry ride... thats all. I think maybe people are getting confused lol, cause I actually agree, the "Wizarding World of Fantastic Beasts" is perfect. So the whole "Wizarding World" is not the issue and if anything would help draw people to Beasts. My main point being, a 3rd land based on HARRY and his friends and characters. In doing Paris I think it just makes the resort more diverse, people can get their Potter fix at IOA and USF, and FB can have its own home with the Beasts being the stars at EU.

Was I really tripping on my cookies the other day or is the Ford/British Ministry/London 3.0 not a rumor/being speculated? Not that I'm expecting it as you said, but I figured it was worth discussing since I thought I read about it haha.

The marketing for IoA is a poor comparison. Universal not only opened a new park, but attempted a resort-wide rebrand. Then, a year after opening, the tourism industry crashed. Never mind that Universal’s marketing in general was nowhere near as good as it is now.
Exactly. Plus the new ownership is light years above the ownership group at that point in time. Apples & oranges comparison for sure.

Well I'm mainly discussing the rumor of it being a potential Ford Anglia and British Ministry ride... thats all. I think maybe people are getting confused lol, cause I actually agree, the "Wizarding World of Fantastic Beasts" is perfect. So the whole "Wizarding World" is not the issue and if anything would help draw people to Beasts. My main point being, a 3rd land based on HARRY and his friends and characters. In doing Paris I think it just makes the resort more diverse, people can get their Potter fix at IOA and USF, and FB can have its own home with the Beasts being the stars at EU.

Was I really tripping on my cookies the other day or is the Ford/British Ministry/London 3.0 not a rumor/being speculated? Not that I'm expecting it as you said, but I figured it was worth discussing since I thought I read about it haha.

I guess my point is Potter, by any other name, is still Potter. People won't care about the semantics of how tied into FB it is if they are already dreading it, or fatigued by Potter.

For what it’s worth I’m pretty sure internally the land in Epic Universe is always referred to as “Wizarding World”, not Fantastic Beasts.

Of course, it was being designed as a Fantastic Beasts land, but it says a lot that internally they’ve always just considered it more Wizarding World.

I guess my point is Potter, by any other name, is still Potter. People won't care about the semantics of how tied into FB it is if they are already dreading it, or fatigued by Potter.
That is fair, I think if they market the Beasts and interactivity aspect with them it could really feel fresh, but you’re right. To me I feel some people get turned off by just literally seeing the same characters rather than the same world but I guess it’s never really been tackled in a theme park before. Unless they add OG characters to Galaxy’s Edge then there’s no IP out there that has this much dedicated theme park space to it, to the point we get a land based on the prequels lol. Just the thought of how they pull that off is a fun idea for me.

But I’m more looking at this as a GP and trying to expand to a 1 week vacation type of viewpoint, I however will be there with my Griffyndor gear as soon as I can.

To also counteract my argument, if they did change FB to Potter as a hypothetical, there is absolutely no other IP out there that has a theme park experience quite like The Wizarding World. You will quite literally get to live out almost every type of thrilling aspect of the books/films, it’s certainly one of a kind. I don’t see how Disney competes with offering that kind of an immersive experience other than their current hotel plan for Star Wars. It’s all interesting haha.

Edt: And that Star Wars “Cruise like Hotel” is not what I call competing just to be on the record haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: WaterToWade
That is fair, I think if they market the Beasts and interactivity aspect with them it could really feel fresh, but you’re right. To me I feel some people get turned off by just literally seeing the same characters rather than the same world but I guess it’s never really been tackled in a theme park before. Unless they add OG characters to Galaxy’s Edge then there’s no IP out there that has this much dedicated theme park space to it, to the point we get a land based on the prequels lol. Just the thought of how they pull that off is a fun idea for me.

Just use different characters, as previously mentioned.

Curious as to others who are more educated thoughts on this: If we go get Potter 3.0 in EU, are people going to ever assume Universal is anything different than the "Harry Potter Parks"?. I ask this because a friend of mine who goes to Disney with their family frequently feels its becoming redundant about Potter when I've mentioned these current rumors to them. They're WDW loyalists, but have spent weekends at UOR for big new rides/Potter before so they're "Orlando" people in general. However, they have no interest in this park really because it seems SNW is their only interest. They're sick of gong to Unviersal and feeling like everything revolves around Potter. They aren't big fans of the films and do like the lands, but I feel Universal's marketing does indeed lean into the Wizarding World a lot.

SO, my question, if Wizarding World 3.0 is going to be mainly advertised, is it possible attendance for this new park isn't skyrocketed because the GP is tired of Potter, or just feel they can only go to Universal if they like Potter? I get the feeling a lot of people currently feel that way, they can only visit and have fun at UOR if they love Harry. I just wonder if they're not going to extend their cliental base as far as they are hoping with these new rumors. Potter, while a massive crowd, is generally a pretty specific one. The strategy has worked thus far with Harry, but are they pushing their luck with a 3rd land?

Id rather something other than the Knight Bus go into the current F&F lot if possible, I have no idea if thats asking too much but if were getting Potter 3.0 at EU then this is just blatant overkill imo. I always get frustrated when Disney people or non theme park people just see Universal as the "Harry Potter theme parks" but I mean, are they wrong? It seems the overwhelming majority of investments is with that IP. Like, I get it, its the main cash flow and biggest attendance draw but I feel they're almost too scared to invest majorly into anything without it at this point. Meaning Harry specifically. This is why I'm excited for Nintendo to get the ball rolling, there are so many different IPs within Nintendo itself that would only not feel redundant, but they'd naturally add massive variety to the parks. Once they tackle Nintendo they can move onto any new IPs, current ones, Dreamworks, etc.

Ive never been a part of the "too much Potter" crowd but w/Potter 3.0 and a possible Knight Bus Ride, AS A POTTER FAN, its too much. Thats why Fantastic Beasts was gong to work in my opinion. Its just different enough from the rest of Potter to be its own thing while also having the Wizarding World familiarity to it.

Im likely overthinking it, and maybe too early to discuss until we see marketing for the park, but I could see it being an issue amongst the masses.

that makes one of you. They could make all 3 parks all Potter, id go more often.

Last edited:
that makes one of you. They could make all 3 parks all Potter, id go more often.
I mean I’m all for it personally as I’ve said, I’m just wondering how people think the GP and maybe Disney/non theme park guests would look at having 3 of the same franchise in all their parks. I’m here for it man it sounds one a kind but if you don’t like Potter, why got to Universal? I could see some people thinking that way is all my point is

For what it’s worth I’m pretty sure internally the land in Epic Universe is always referred to as “Wizarding World”, not Fantastic Beasts.

Of course, it was being designed as a Fantastic Beasts land, but it says a lot that internally they’ve always just considered it more Wizarding World.
I believe the plan is to quietly drop the "of Harry Potter" part of the current lands' names also. There was discussion of going with "The Wizarding World of JK Rowling", but I believe they decided on just "The Wizarding World:..."

I wonder if in the world entrance (which alicia said on her podcast she believes to be the arc de triomphe) they’ll have an engraved version of the wizarding world logo, as i assume all the word entrances will have titles

Reactions: SarahKay
I mean I’m all for it personally as I’ve said, I’m just wondering how people think the GP and maybe Disney/non theme park guests would look at having 3 of the same franchise in all their parks. I’m here for it man it sounds one a kind but if you don’t like Potter, why got to Universal? I could see some people thinking that way is all my point is
As someone who lives outside of Florida I kind of think Universal is already like this. I think if they do the other lands as detailed as Wizarding World that will do far more to improve that idea. When I went to Universal I honestly didn't know what else was there I went solely for the purposes of seeing Wizarding World. I think having a land dedicated to wizarding world in some capacity will motivate us Potter fans to go check out the new park. The other lands will motivate non potter fans. I think people forget this park is massive so they can fit a ton of immersive experiences in it so if you don't like 1 land you could avoid it and still have plenty to do. I do agree with you though the marketing needs to focus on all the lands.

I mean, there's really no proof that Potter pulls in crowds for Universal

I was looking at some of the maps in the News thread (inserted and linked below) where it looked like the land purchases were wrapping up for the south campus and was wondering if there has been any hint that they may start back up on any of those gap parcels. I was hesitant to ask the question because of the current downturn but I know Universal if nothing else takes advantage of opportunities when available. Would the below partials even be beneficial to Universal at this point?

Specifically I was looking at the CPR Money (second map), Ripley, Essex Apartments (not sure if they have been built and have not been able to discern myself from Bio's photos), the Ergs Wi, and the Future Hyatt Hotel Site property next to the land that was highlighted in red in the second map.

First Map:
upload_2019-9-27_16-2-7-png.11030

First Map from @Bobharlem - Post link:

Second Map:
T9Eb6ZL.jpg

Second Map from @zg44 Post link:

I'm a day late and a page behind, but I wanted to give this post a response. On the different parcels:

Essex Apartments - Already under construction; can be seen in earlier aerial photos.
Ergs Wi - Planned for a large expansion to the Las Palmeras resort property, but I'm pretty sure that no construction has begun.
Ripley - I don't think any official plans have been released, and no construction has begun. These parcels would be good for Universal if they want more land for another hotel.
Future Hyatt Hotel Site - I believe that Hyatt bought this land to build a convention center hotel prior to their purchase of the former Peabody(now Hyatt Regency Orlando), which presumably put their construction plans on hold, with not much having changed since. I assume that Hyatt would have very little interest in selling this land because anything built would become an instant competitor to their hotel, but this is also the only remaining large parcel with potential for direct walking access to OCCC, so for any hotelier that wants that, this is the parcel to have.
CPR Money - This land is owned by a developer of some sort, but I haven't seen any formal plans announced. These parcels are also not that large, and only suitable for a couple small (by normal, not theme park) standards, at best.

Overall, I would say that the Ripley and Hyatt parcels are the two in the area that would be the most useful to Universal, but I'm just not sure if either would ever be available.

EDIT: This recent aerial from bioreconstruct shows the new apartments and lack of construction on the Ripley and Ergs parcels:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.