Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 256 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I haven’t ridden these rides so I ask people here, can you really “hear” the vehicles sway on Mickey and Minnie on other rides? Obviously you can hear a coaster track or an Omnimover a little, isn’t the entire point of the trackless rides to give the illusion that you’re truly free and going about however? Obviously these are programmed I know that’s not the case, I wasn’t looking for it but hearing the carpet swaying sound and seeing the tires tracks throughout the floor I feel gve away that feeling totally.

Is it as noticeable when riding? I just don’t see how the system works so differently or better if thats the case. I doubt it’d totally intrude on my experience that’s not my point, I just don’t think it needs to be “the” future of future big theme park rides. Spider-Man is on a track and you’d just never know it, for me that seems more effective in that sense of “there is no track infront of me to see where I’m going” type feeling.

So I haven’t ridden these rides so I ask people here, can you really “hear” the vehicles sway on Mickey and Minnie on other rides? Obviously you can hear a coaster track or an Omnimover a little, isn’t the entire point of the trackless rides to give the illusion that you’re truly free and going about however? Obviously these are programmed I know that’s not the case, I wasn’t looking for it but hearing the carpet swaying sound and seeing the tires tracks throughout the floor I feel gve away that feeling totally.

Is it as noticeable when riding? I just don’t see how the system works so differently or better if thats the case. I doubt it’d totally intrude on my experience that’s not my point, I just don’t think it needs to be “the” future of future big theme park rides. Spider-Man is on a track and you’d just never know it, for me that seems more effective in that sense of “there is no track infront of me to see where I’m going” type feeling.

I’ve personally never noticed it, but I’ll keep a mental note to see if I can hear anything next time.

I’ve personally never noticed it, but I’ll keep a mental note to see if I can hear anything next time.
I’m watching a YouTube POV so it certainly could be more noticeable to me, but I wasn’t looking for it either so that’s how it peaked my interest more.

I’m surprised to not see Rise mentioned with all the talk about trackless rides.

I had kind of hope that trackless rides would have evolved by now, they still seem quite limited and prone to problems.

We get concepts like above from over 5 years ago.

Reactions: Suchomimus
I’m surprised to not see Rise mentioned with all the talk about trackless rides.

I had kind of hope that trackless rides would have evolved by now, they still seem quite limited and prone to problems.

We get concepts like above from over 5 years ago.

Rise is a great attraction and probably one of the best uses of trackless tech yet

If you can ride it

Rise is a great attraction and probably one of the best uses of trackless tech yet

If you can ride it

I didn't want to start Disney vs Uni argument. Trackless rides provide a medium for a specific type of ride. I don't see that changing until they can figure out how to get the positioning to recognize and change more quickly. However, enough ride types exist that it doesn't necessitate that type of growth. I'd love to see UNI utilize the scoop ride vehicles in new ways as those provide a very dynamic experience.

yeah rise could of been a bus bar with a few adjustments mainly in loading, unloading and the first scene as well as some quick fire switches for where it reverses down a different path

Though speaking of trackless isn't the big props in the Bourne show (the moving buildings that don't rise up out of the floor) trackless ride vehicles?

Oof I disagree. Rise is a GREAT ride, but the “trackless” element barely factors into it. Could have been a busbar system without losing anything of value
Really? I don't see how you would do some of the forward and backward maneuvers with a busbar system

But maybe I'm forgetting a particular attraction that does it well

Reactions: Alessio
I suppose you could

It just seems like Rise as it is feels better trackless
Only because we only know it as trackless. But if you think about the fluidity of busbar rides like Spider-Man/Transformers, MiB, and Dinosaur/Crystal Skull, it becomes a lot easier wonder why Rise “had” to be trackless. Apart from a brief moment after load, the interaction between the RVs is irrelevant to the point of non-existence.

Which, I think, is why Universal may not be itching to go “trackless.” Creative doesn’t get enough credit for how well the marry an attraction’s story with the ride system. It’s not often they over complicate an attraction with ride technology that isn’t essential to the story “just because.” Which, if you really look at most of the trackless rides out there, is what often happens. The trackless element in Antartica at SeaWorld is frivolously used. Same with Rise. Hunny Hunt, Runaway Railway, and Beauty and the Beast overly rely on the “dancing” gimmick which often stops the rides’ flow dead. Mystic Manor and Symbolica are some of only rides that actually make the trackless element “critical.”

I personally feel like it would be a massive missed opportunity for them not to add an area in a Pokemon land where you can have a real life Pokemon battle against another guest.

Have it so you can catch Pokemon at certain Pokestop locations in the park. Then when you get to Ryme City you head to the Gym and it's a large colloseum hall where you can get assigned to a small battlefield room and use the Pokemon you caught in a battle against another guest's team for maybe 5 minutes. Provide Rental Passes of Six Pokemon for people who don't feel like going through the whole app process, similar to the mechanic in Pokemon Battle Revolution when you hadn't transferred your team from the DS yet.

I'm sure it'd probably be way harder to pull off than I think, but I imagine it like this: You and your opponent would stand on opposite sides of a long but relatively tight booth, (tight to accomodate as many booths as possible). In front of you is 4ft tall kiosk with a touch screen showing you your options for the battle. What moves you can use, the Pokemon on your team, certain items you've found around the park, and an option to end the battle early, as well as a timer showing how much time you and your opponent have left to battle. Behind the kiosk is a tall sheet of glass allowing you to look onto the tight booth and across to your opponent. The booth is themed to a Pokemon Stadium with a line on the ground dividing your side from theirs.

Here's where it gets real blue sky/Wish List-y, they use technology somewhat similar to Nemo/The Seas or the preshows for all the Potter attractions to project the two Pokemon battling inside the booth. No animatronics needed. When you send out Squirtle, Squirtle is sent out via projection onto the battlefield and you are able to watch him attack the other team.

I understand it's ridiculous, it's potentially not even possible, and if it were implemented there is no telling it would even do that well. But I love this idea. I think even more than the obvious Poke-Safari or Legendary Pokemon thrill ride, this experience would perfectly encapsulate the core of the games: Catching and Battling. It would also give Nintendo that rush of interactivity they wanted in the Mario Land so bad. I won't be holding my breath for it, but man, my friends and I would love it.

Only because we only know it as trackless. But if you think about the fluidity of busbar rides like Spider-Man/Transformers, MiB, and Dinosaur/Crystal Skull, it becomes a lot easier wonder why Rise “had” to be trackless. Apart from a brief moment after load, the interaction between the RVs is irrelevant to the point of non-existence.

Which, I think, is why Universal may not be itching to go “trackless.” Creative doesn’t get enough credit for how well the marry an attraction’s story with the ride system. It’s not often they over complicate an attraction with ride technology that isn’t essential to the story “just because.” Which, if you really look at most of the trackless rides out there, is what often happens. The trackless element in Antartica at SeaWorld is frivolously used. Same with Rise. Hunny Hunt, Runaway Railway, and Beauty and the Beast overly rely on the “dancing” gimmick which often stops the rides’ flow dead. Mystic Manor and Symbolica are some of only rides that actually make the trackless element “critical.”
Yes, back to my original point...Trackless is overrated

However, I still think Rise is a good implementation of it

But I'm not exactly a trackless apologist lol

Another usage of trackless would be to allow different stories to occur. Let's say that it is an interactive ride (ex. Shooter or like Midway Mania). If you succeed at defeating a level, your car would track on to a different challenge. If you lost, it would go to a challenge of a similar level/nature. Due to building size requirements, you couldn't have too many diverse paths but the rider could definitely influence which path they see and this would provide opportunities to experience very different experiences within the same ride.

Reactions: fryoj
Another usage of trackless would be to allow different stories to occur. Let's say that it is an interactive ride (ex. Shooter or like Midway Mania). If you succeed at defeating a level, your car would track on to a different challenge. If you lost, it would go to a challenge of a similar level/nature. Due to building size requirements, you couldn't have too many diverse paths but the rider could definitely influence which path they see and this would provide opportunities to experience very different experiences within the same ride.

Midway Mania is probably not the best example since it relies 100% on screens. Because of the screen based nature the games could change for each vehicle depending on how they did at the previous game. Expanding the concept further, a shooter could use projection mapping and hiding or revealing show elements based upon how the players are doing. Plus if there isn't a multitude of paths for the vehicle then we're right back at a busbar system with track switching being sufficient.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Really? I don't see how you would do some of the forward and backward maneuvers with a busbar system

But maybe I'm forgetting a particular attraction that does it well

My concern would be capacity. I don’t see how you could run two vehicles at the same time with them crossing over the track and the gun shooting room wouldn’t be able to work the way it does now. It would need to be widened and the guns would cross over the track.

Reactions: shiekra38
One point with trackless tech is once perfected it would be easier and cheaper to deploy than a standard track solution (outside of a rollercoaster, for example). Problem is, as shown with Kong having to beef up the amount of transponders on the ride, we're not there yet.

Reactions: shiekra38
One point with trackless tech is once perfected it would be easier and cheaper to deploy than a standard track solution (outside of a rollercoaster, for example). Problem is, as shown with Kong having to beef up the amount of transponders on the ride, we're not there yet.
Certainly not

I find it crazy how much Kong breaks down

It's not *that* complex of a ride when compared to others around the resort

I mean, even Hagrid is running much much better than it was (the closure certainly helped)

I've just never seen trackless tech work reliably while at the same time adding much to the experience to be worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.