Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
New hip design and ip gave is Fast and the Furious.
Old, tired flailed ip gives Asia the Water World Stuntshow.
What I mean with is that an ip is as good as the ride that is created.
But a beloved ip can help sell a ride. There are classic Universal movie ip's that could be used for amazing new rides and lands, no matter if they had a presence in the parks before or not. And Universal is seemingly doing that with their Classic Monsters. We had the show and hopefully we get the land at EU. And Kong has been there before and is resurrected. I can see and expansion into other classic movies like Jaws or Back to the Future easily and I'm hopeful it will happen one day.

But a beloved ip can help sell a ride. There are classic Universal movie ip's that could be used for amazing new rides and lands, no matter if they had a presence in the parks before or not. And Universal is seemingly doing that with their Classic Monsters. We had the show and hopefully we get the land at EU. And Kong has been there before and is resurrected. I can see and expansion into other classic movies like Jaws or Back to the Future easily and I'm hopeful it will happen one day.
Jaws 360 3D: This time it’s really, really personal

In all seriousness, this is more likely than people think. Universal’s finally catching on that there’s still a big chunk of interest in their classic, legacy IPs. There’s more merchandise being created for these classic IPs now than ever, and it’s flying off shelves. I wouldn’t be surprised if new attractions soon follow to play into this market. The biggest example is Skull Island vs Fast and Furious. Both are pretty much the same ride with Kong only having some minor upgrades, but Kong was well received and FnF was universally hated. This is because of the IP, and proves that newer isn’t always better. Guests want the big, old school classics

In all seriousness, this is more likely than people think. Universal’s finally catching on that there’s still a big chunk of interest in their classic, legacy IPs. There’s more merchandise being created for these classic IPs now than ever, and it’s flying off shelves. I wouldn’t be surprised if new attractions soon follow to play into this market. The biggest example is Skull Island vs Fast and Furious. Both are pretty much the same ride with Kong only having some minor upgrades, but Kong was well received and FnF was universally hated. This is because of the IP, and proves that newer isn’t always better. Guests want the big, old school classics
Kong succeeded because it was a better, more interesting narrative that’s presented in a coherent, understandable manner. F&F is a chaotic mess of bad CGI. That has nothing to do with the IP. It’s about the quality of the ride design.

Sometimes IP doesn't matter, and sometimes it does, but I will say this:

King Kong is a nearly 90-year-old movie character, and he's currently headling a major film opening around the world.

I doubt there are going to be F&F movies after another 70 years.

Kong succeeded because it was a better, more interesting narrative that’s presented in a coherent, understandable manner. F&F is a chaotic mess of bad CGI. That has nothing to do with the IP. It’s about the quality of the ride design.
This may be true, but to most people they’re still just SCREENZ. The difference is what is playing on the screen. Even if you look at wait times from first-timer GP guests who don’t know about the quality of the CGI they’re about to experience, Kong still attracts more guests. This is because Kong is timeless. Everyone wants to see a giant gorilla, or be attacked by a shark, or travel back in time. To enjoy these attractions, you don’t have to be a megafan of the connected IP to somewhat understand what’s going on. To get the most out of FnF, you have to at least somewhat have a prior knowledge of the franchise. These legacy IPs appeal to a much larger chunk of GP

King Kong is a nearly 90-year-old movie character, and he's currently headling a major film opening around the world.

Gaps in years between Kong films -

29 years
5 years
9 years
10 years
12 years
7 years (reboot)
12 years
4 years

Eight Kong films over 88 years. That’s one film, ostensibly, a generation. F&F has more films in a much shorter amount of time. It’s also not completely reasonable to compare a 20 year old franchise to something that went nearly 30 years between its second and third film (the third Kong film being Godzilla versus Kong).

F&Fs big thing is family. Dom’s grandkids will be living it up in 70 years in F&F 100

So to piggyback on a discussion on the other thread: even if Mario Kart doesn’t end up being super beloved among the fan community, can we expect the Monsters ride and the Wizarding World e-ticket, whatever it is, to be? At least there won’t be a very narrow set of expectations that they’re potentially unable to reach.

So to piggyback on a discussion on the other thread: even if Mario Kart doesn’t end up being super beloved among the fan community, can we expect the Monsters ride and the Wizarding World e-ticket, whatever it is, to be? At least there won’t be a very narrow set of expectations that they’re potentially unable to reach.
It seems like they’re playing it safe by introducing several big e-tickets, and letting the people decide which is the ‘main attraction.’ I do wish that Mario wasn’t themed to Mario Kart after seeing it in Japan. The queue and buildup look like it was meant to be an animatronic-heavy dark ride themed to Super Mario Bros instead of Mario Kart. Since it isn’t a big thrill, I wish it was just a good old fashioned e-ticket where we had to help the brothers rescue the princess or something. Part of me wonders if that’s what it was originally supposed to be if you look at the queue and ride system, but corporate probably pushed for the Mario Kart route so that they could market a ‘thrill’

It seems like they’re playing it safe by introducing several big e-tickets, and letting the people decide which is the ‘main attraction.’ I do wish that Mario wasn’t themed to Mario Kart after seeing it in Japan. The queue and buildup look like it was meant to be an animatronic-heavy dark ride themed to Super Mario Bros instead of Mario Kart. Since it isn’t a big thrill, I wish it was just a good old fashioned e-ticket where we had to help the brothers rescue the princess or something. Part of me wonders if that’s what it was originally supposed to be if you look at the queue and ride system, but corporate probably pushed for the Mario Kart route so that they could market a ‘thrill’
It was never intended to be anything else, so far as I'm aware.

It was never intended to be anything else, so far as I'm aware.
Even if that’s the case (which it most likely is), the ride system feels like it would lend itself much better to a regular Super Mario dark ride. Mario Kart should’ve been done with something similar to Test Track or Radiator Springs

Even if that’s the case (which it most likely is), the ride system feels like it would lend itself much better to a regular Super Mario dark ride. Mario Kart should’ve been done with something similar to Test Track or Radiator Springs
They could have done it that way, but it would have been harder to integrate the gamifaction that theyve put in throughout the land.

In response to those who wanted a fast racing version.....This final version actually seems to simulate some speed, and is much more impressive and immersive than the first version that some of us had some views of. So, myself,
I'm quite happy with what they ended up with......Yoshii seems pretty much as the original intention, so I never thought that was going to be much more than a Seuss Trolley type of attraction, though that's fine for the secondary ticket.....and keep in mind available park space, so a Test Track type ride could never be in the cards for that smallish available space.

My niece loves Mario Kart. Is terrified of any fast rides. And she’s great at playing video games.

The think they’re hitting their target market just fine.
You’re probably right. I wouldn’t be surprised if the monsters ride ends up being the big thrilling e-ticket dark ride of the park since that can cater to an older audience

I'm sure there will be complaints about basically any attraction built anywhere at any resort moving forward. We're beyond the point where a ride could be universally (pardon the pun) seen as objectively excellent. When world-class attractions like Hagrid's and Rise of the Resistance can be nitpicked to death by some fans, we've entered the "Anybody can conceivably complain about anything" phase of theme park fandom. I'm guilty of it sometimes, too (I have nitpicks with lots of attractions that I still generally enjoy).

But to really get back to your question, I know what I think the Monsters and WW rides should be, but that's different from what I'm expecting them to be. Hopefully there's a comfortable intersection point between what I'd like to see and what Universal will actually build.

Status
Not open for further replies.