Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation | Page 282 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Epic Universe Wish List & Speculation

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone here wants Spongebob......

If sponge replaced HTTYD, what are people’s thoughts about the park lineup? I only hear complaints about the IPs themselces since Islands of Adventure is already an IP land driven park so that argument to me just doesn’t make any sense

I don't want SpongeBob.

There is a reason why Paramount, Universal and even third party vendors have passed on putting meaningful spongebob attractions into the parks. HTTYD is perfect and the most well rounded land based on permits.

I don't want SpongeBob.

There is a reason why Paramount, Universal and even third party vendors have passed on putting meaningful spongebob attractions into the parks. HTTYD is perfect and the most well rounded land based on permits.
I completely agree, I just know many aren’t big on HTTYD here and spongebob is so I’m curious where people stand on that.

I’m just super excited to see what Berk looks like, it’s crazy how much land it’s getting I presume this will be beautiful on the eyes.

I completely agree, I just know many aren’t big on HTTYD here and spongebob is so I’m curious where people stand on that.

I’m just super excited to see what Berk looks like, it’s crazy how much land it’s getting I presume this will be beautiful on the eyes.
I'm less still less worried about HTTYD than I am about FB. HTTYD is a primarily kids aimed area and dragons are awesome. Do you think any of the kids coming off Flight of Passage have seen Avatar? Chances are almost certainly no, but you get to ride a "Dragon" (Banshee) in the ride, so it's cool despite no one ever talking about the franchise in pop culture except to make fun of it.

I just feel like, by the time this park opens, who's going to care about Fantastic Beasts if no one cares now? The ride better be amazing is all I can really say.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'm less still less worried about HTTYD than I am about FB. HTTYD is a primarily kids aimed area and dragons are awesome. Do you think any of the kids coming off Flight of Passage have seen Avatar? Chances are almost certainly no, but you get to ride a "Dragon" (Banshee) in the ride, so it's cool despite no one ever talking about the franchise in pop culture except to make fun of it.

I just feel like, by the time this park opens, who's going to care about Fantastic Beasts if no one cares now? The ride better be amazing is all I can really say.
Well if it’s true the rumor is a mix of Potter and FB, I don’t see it being an issue. If the FB tide is the VR ride, no one will care who it is cause they’re riding on a broomstick and casting spells. Hopefully the British Ministry is potter centric.

I get the concern with FB, hell in 2019 I was stumping for it and would be fine if it ends up that way but I in no way see it happening.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
Bumpin in here for a sec.

1. I feel like if Spongebob DID replace Berk, it would be a smart move. Bottom line is that HTTYD is recognizable enough, but SpongeBob will easily outlast it in popularity. I don't think it's a stretch to say that SpongeBob is Nick's Mickey Mouse, there aren't that many people who don't know who the yellow sponge is at this point. It would be a massive draw to EU and I would favor it over Berk if it were to happen (which I doubt at this point).

2. If Monsters is a KUKA arm I would be perfectly fine with that. I was getting worried that we might get stuck with a slightly more intense Haunted Mansion, but this way it's just enough to differentiate the two.

Also, I pictured a LOT more shops, I am genuinely surprised.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I personally have no real reverence for either Spongebob or HTTYD but I think it'd be a much better sell for the fantastical, dragon filled land of HTTYD than the kinda cheesy but fun Bikini Bottom. If you want to shove BB in Studios around the shop, sure, that'd be a fun little area but devoting an entirely new subsection of a third land gate to it seems like too much. It just doesn't feel 'big' enough to justify that.

At the end of the day, I would say that I believe whatever IP/theme of any land is really doesn't matter as long as the attractions are good. Throw crappy attractions into an IP that is beloved and it won't do well. Likewise, drop memorable, exciting and fun attractions into an IP that is lukewarm and I bet it does extremely well.

Everyone here wants Spongebob......

If sponge replaced HTTYD, what are people’s thoughts about the park lineup? I only hear complaints about the IPs themselves since Islands of Adventure is already an IP land driven park so that argument to me just doesn’t make any sense

I don't want or like Spongebob and would much prefer HTTYD. I think that Berk makes a much more attractive area than the settings for Spongebob.

Also, I pictured a LOT more shops, I am genuinely surprised.
There’s probably lots of smaller shops attached to main attractions not listed in permits. (We know of one for Mario Kart, and pretty sure there’s one for the Dragons coaster exit attached to the sit down restaurant, etc)

As far as I’ve heard, British Ministry side is Potter. No clue about French side, but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s locations introduced in Fantastic Beasts, but not characters. Still a lot of unknowns at this point over in that corner, but I believe internally it’s just called Wizarding World, for what that’s worth.

As far as I’ve heard, British Ministry side is Potter. No clue about French side, but wouldn’t be surprised if it’s locations introduced in Fantastic Beasts, but not characters. Still a lot of unknowns at this point over in that corner, but I believe internally it’s just called Wizarding World, for what that’s worth.
Admittedly i'm not keeping up with the small permit stuff and the details of it all. I just know the IPs that are supposedly going in and FB has me worried. I imagine it has Creative worried too if they aren't planning on dedicating this solely to it or naming it after the (so far) failed franchise.

Admittedly i'm not keeping up with the small permit stuff and the details of it all. I just know the IPs that are supposedly going in and FB has me worried. I imagine it has Creative worried too if they aren't planning on dedicating this solely to it or naming it after the (so far) failed franchise.
At the end of the day, the contract is tipped so far in Warner/JK's favor, I'm assuming they'll go with whatever direction the rights holders want. Now that terms for merchandise and licensing is renewed regularly, the last thing you'd want to do is say no to them. But that's just my take on it.

On the other hand, Universal's new friends in Nintendo seem more than willing to work with them, and so I wouldn't be surprised to see more Nintendo, sooner, as a way to offset some of the other areas you may not see as too big of a draw. :toast:

At the end of the day, the contract is tipped so far in Warner/JK's favor, I'm assuming they'll go with whatever direction the rights holders want. Now that terms for merchandise and licensing is renewed regularly, the last thing you'd want to do is say no to them. But that's just my take on it.

On the other hand, Universal's new friends in Nintendo seem more than willing to work with them, and so I wouldn't be surprised to see more Nintendo, sooner, as a way to offset some of the other areas you may not see as too big of a draw. :toast:
Idk about JK because this is all her baby, but WB at the very least has to be reasonable enough to see the writing on the wall that the real money is with Potter-proper, not Fantastic Beasts. And I would think the rights holders, just like Universal, would want to follow the money.

Idk about JK because this is all her baby, but WB at the very least has to be reasonable enough to see the writing on the wall that the real money is with Potter-proper, not Fantastic Beasts. And I would think the rights holders, just like Universal, would want to follow the money.
This land has probably benefited the most from the delay compared to initial rumors.

Weren't initial rumors for two big dark rides, though?

That could have been just wishful projecting on my part, I guess.
I recall the British ministry building always being rumored a dark ride whether it was the ministry or not, and French Ministry was always rumored for the VR building, I don’t recall specifics being a ton further than that. I know maybe a drop tower type ride was speculated, but it wasn’t a rumor. The building is tall but not long so at the time that made sense. Others correct me though!

Reactions: Coolbfitz
I recall the British ministry building always being rumored a dark ride whether it was the ministry or not, and French Ministry was always rumored for the VR building, I don’t recall specifics being a ton further than that. I know maybe a drop tower type ride was speculated, but it wasn’t a rumor. The building is tall but not long so at the time that made sense. Others correct me though!
Yea, I never thought the structure on the right was big enough for a dark ride. Drop tower could work, if it is tall enough, which plans don't tell us yet. VR makes sense too, as no need for space for track layout.

The structure on the left is massive, and was definitely designed for a dark ride from the start.

Yea, I never thought the structure on the right was big enough for a dark ride. Drop tower could work, if it is tall enough, which plans don't tell us yet. VR makes sense too, as no need for space for track layout.

The structure on the left is massive, and was definitely designed for a dark ride from the start.
It really does seem massive, even larger than the Monsters and MK building it seems?

I was talking further back, before we had permits for buildings. I recall the speculation was a Ministry dark ride and a creature-filled ride through Newt's menagerie.

I was talking further back, before we had permits for buildings. I recall the speculation was a Ministry dark ride and a creature-filled ride through Newt's menagerie.
I theorized a Ministry tower ride with vertical show scenes and an interactive Fantastic Beasts dark ride. But I was wrong on both counts.

The plans didn’t change though, my guesses were just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.