Universal's NEW Classic Monsters Series | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's NEW Classic Monsters Series

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
According to Variety: "Separately, Blumhouse Productions is also developing a new version of Dracula, with director Karyn Kusama (“Destroyer”) and writers Matt Manfredi and Phil Hay. A representative for Universal says Zhao’s new take on Dracula does not affect the Kusama project, which remains in development."
Sure just give me quarterly monster movies like the Marvel movies have been recently.

Reactions: belloq87
So…. Just to recap, how many Dracula movies have you guys tallied?

I think I saw a female director was taking a crack at Dracula that wasn’t connected to blumhouse or universal is that right?
And blumhouse is doing a Renfield movie?
I have also seen an article about a movie about the Demeter, the ship that Dracula rode into London on and ate pretty much ate everybody on board.

so 3 Dracula movies is that right. If so I won’t complain one bit.

So…. Just to recap, how many Dracula movies have you guys tallied?

I think I saw a female director was taking a crack at Dracula that wasn’t connected to blumhouse or universal is that right?
And blumhouse is doing a Renfield movie?
I have also seen an article about a movie about the Demeter, the ship that Dracula rode into London on and ate pretty much ate everybody on board.

so 3 Dracula movies is that right. If so I won’t complain one bit.

So-far, we have this more-or-less.

A: Chloe Zhao's Dracula--a reimagining with more futuristic but western approach
B: Renfield with Chris McKay and Nicholas Hoult
C: Blumhouse's take on Dracula

A & C are seemingly not going to affect each other, and C is more than likely going to be a subject that could be talked about with the Wolfman project (being written by Leigh Whannell) with Ryan Gosling at Blumhouse.

Reactions: jseal777
So-far, we have this more-or-less.

A: Chloe Zhao's Dracula--a reimagining with more futuristic but western approach
B: Renfield with Chris McKay and Nicholas Hoult
C: Blumhouse's take on Dracula

A & C are seemingly not going to affect each other, and C is more than likely going to be a subject that could be talked about with the Wolfman project (being written by Leigh Whannell) with Ryan Gosling at Blumhouse.
That’s what I was thinking thanks! So excited.

I know this thread is strictly universal adjacent produced movies, but I’ll leave this here because it sounds great as well and Amblin is kinda sorta friends with universal I guess.

That’s what I was thinking thanks! So excited.

I know this thread is strictly universal adjacent produced movies, but I’ll leave this here because it sounds great as well and Amblin is kinda sorta friends with universal I guess.

Universal has ownership in Amblin and is distributing it.

Universal's Dracula series

Last Voyage of The Demeter
Last Voyage of The Demeter to be released 2023. Produced by Amblin. Not part of the dark Universe because its only based on one chapter of Dracula and a short segment.
The Last Voyage of the Demeter is based on one chapter from Bram Stoker’s 1897 Gothic horror novel Dracula, about the doomed journey of the sailing ship, Demeter. The script, written by Zak Olkewicz, chronicles Demeter’s journey from Carpathia to London after taking on some mysterious cargo. The cargo (spoiler warning for a 100-plus-year-old book!) holds none other than Dracula himself, and the crew are stalked/eaten each night until none of them are alive when it pulls into England’s Whitby Harbour.

Renfield
Based on an idea by Robert Kirkman and written by Ryan Ridley (He wrote for Rick and Morty most notably Ricksky Business which was the season 1 finale episode). In the original Dracula novel, R.M. Renfield was an inmate at a lunatic asylum who was thought to be suffering from delusions but actually is a servant of Dracula. Plot details of the movie weren’t announced, but it’s believed to take place during the present day and is not a period piece. The studio has also stated its less of a horror and more of a comedy.

Blumhouse Karyn Kusama Dracula
According to interviews, this adaptation is a fairly faithful adaptation of the novel with one point of view added which will be Dracula's.

“It’s not so much that, but it is using the idea of, I think, something that gets overlooked in adaptations of Dracula in the past is the idea of multiple voices. In fact, the book is filled with different points of view, and the one point of view we don’t get access to, and most adaptations give access to, is Dracula himself. So I would just say, in some respect, this is going to be an adaptation called Dracula, but it’s perhaps not the same kind of romantic hero that we’ve seen in past interpretations of Dracula.”

As of July 1, Blumhouse said the project is still on.

Chloe Zhao Dracula
SCI-FI Western Dracula...that is all that is known.

Non Universal related Dracula project
The Bride (Sony/Screen Gems)
Inspired by Bram Stoker’s Dracula, the pic is a contemporary horror thriller that tells the story of a young woman who is courted and swept off her feet, only to realize a gothic conspiracy is afoot. Given the popularity of the Dracula IP, execs are excited about the possibility of this project, seeing it as a potential franchise, with the studio fast-tracking the movie for an end-of-summer start.

• Love

The film based on an original story outline from The Walking Dead and Invincible’s Robert Kirkman centers on Renfield (Hoult), who has grown sick and tired of his centuries as Dracula’s (Cage) lackey. The henchman finds a new lease on life life and maybe even redemption when he falls for feisty, perennially angry traffic cop Rebecca Quincy (Awkwafina).

The film based on an original story outline from The Walking Dead and Invincible’s Robert Kirkman centers on Renfield (Hoult), who has grown sick and tired of his centuries as Dracula’s (Cage) lackey. The henchman finds a new lease on life life and maybe even redemption when he falls for feisty, perennially angry traffic cop Rebecca Quincy (Awkwafina).
Wait that's the plot...

• Haha
Reactions: belloq87

You had me in the first half not gonna lie.

I hope Awkwafina's agent is getting paid paid because they are selling salt to slugs.

• Haha
Reactions: Jamesh22
The praise Invisible Man got & people cling to is undeserved. The so-called modern remake was nothing original or fresh. It was just a retooled plot of 1991's "Sleeping with the Enemy" but with an Invisi-suit thrown in. The movie was only "Invisible Man" by name alone, but did not resemble anything close to the original film or its iconic character "appearance". Kevin Bacon's "HallowMan" was a better modern remake of Invisible Man!

As for the future Monster films... Renfield could be surprisingly good or just terrible. I'm not hyped over Nicholas Cage being Drac.

My faith in the Monsters gracing the big screen in all their glory has almost become non-existent. IF Monster Mash still happens, my hope is that it is in vein of the former Monster Rock & Beetlejuice Graveyard Revue shows at Orlando, Hollywood & Singapore.

What bothers me the most is that HHN cracked the code for a cohesive Monster-verse and the Studio is completely blind to it.

Reactions: Coolbfitz