Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 341 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the biggest issue stopping a CN attraction is the lack of theatrical CN movies.

I’m assuming that the movies are what get people overseas (particularly Asia) to pay attention to the TV shows, not the other way around like the States.

Spongebob had two theatrical movies and one was super recent! Rugrats had a couple. Hey Arnold had one.

I can’t name a CN theatrical movie off the top of my head.

I think the biggest issue stopping a CN attraction is the lack of theatrical CN movies.

I’m assuming that the movies are what get people overseas (particularly Asia) to pay attention to the TV shows, not the other way around like the States.

Spongebob had two theatrical movies and one was super recent! Rugrats had a couple. Hey Arnold had one.

Spongebob 3 is in the works for 2020 I believe as well.

As for CN theatrical releases... did Powerpuff Girls get a movie or am I imagining that?

Spongebob 3 is in the works for 2020 I believe as well.

As for CN theatrical releases... did Powerpuff Girls get a movie or am I imagining that?
Oh yeah! I even owned it on DVD. How could I forget about that?

I’m assuming that’s probably CN’s most popular IP, and honestly, it’s not big enough to sustain a $10MM+ attraction.

(Yes, I know Adventure Time and the like. They have fervent fan circles but aren’t mainstream popular)

Reactions: Frogki

Cartoon Network is huge worldwide just lacking in the US....the amount of adult Adventure Time, We Bare Bears, and Steven Universe gear in Asia and South America is next level. There is a reason why IMG chose to make a Cartoon Network land for their Dubai park as well.

There even is a cartoon network store by my home...
C2OLcxPUcAEEc_4.jpg

Sorry for a double post but I would say we should look at Universal's upcoming slate for whats to come to the parks....This is from Jeff Shell, Head of Film Entertainment at the Merill Lynch Investor Conference

When Comcast bought the company, there was not much dialogue between the theme park division and the film division, which is kind of shocking because our movies, if I said yes to a movie right now, it will be three years before you saw the movie. It takes us a long lead time in making a movie. There is probably even a longer lead time in making a theme park attraction, right. So it's at least three years when you say yes to a theme park attraction until you are actually marketing it and opening the doors.

And we work together, we sit down with the parks once a quarter now. We go through our, they know our slate as well as I do, right and I know their roadmap as well as they do. So we are really in sync with them and you look at this year, they are a little light as far as new attractions this year. We are little light as far as animation this year. But if you look going forward two or three years, the ascendancy at some of our real brands are going to show themselves in attractions at the parks. And when those open, then we are going to actually have a benefit for us to launch additional Fast and Furious movies and Minions movies and things like that.

Last edited:
Teen Titans Go!

Really, I think the bigger issue is individual IPs. From my understanding, Cartoon Network operates differently from Nickelodeon regarding ownership; they act more like distributors than owners (like Disner/Pixar in the beginning). I know they're just US distributors for Gumball and Total Drama. Now, they'll own their classic stuff (Poeerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo era), but the newer stuff is probably more complicated.

But if it develops creator loyalty, I'll take it. Adventure Time led to Steven Universe, which led to Craig of the Creek. Cartoon Network may not be as popular, but their shows are top notch (except Clarence and Uncle Grandpa - those are trash).

Besides Nintendo I can’t understand why anyone is excited at all for the current lineup of rumors. I don’t care if there going to be new and modern attractions.

Jurassic World? We have had Dino related stuff for decades even in Disney *yawn*
Fantastic Beasts? More Potter stuff ZZzzzz
DreamWorks? We have this in Singapore
Lord of the Rings? Will never happen
Looney Tunes? We already have that in six flags *yawn*
Ready Player One? Seriously...

Please Comcast give actual “NEW” IPs and not recycled Properties.

Just a thought...

Besides Nintendo I can’t understand why anyone is excited at all for the current lineup of rumors. I don’t care if there going to be new and modern attractions.

Jurassic World? We have had Dino related stuff for decades even in Disney *yawn*

Just a thought...

Going to speak on two things:
  • Why in the seven hell's would you try to compare two lands from DreamWorks Animation's IP's that not everyone in the world will see?
  • Six Flags has NO presence in the state of Florida, so why would you even use "regional" parks compared to the level of quality that's from UPR or DPR..

Reactions: Magic-Man
Going to speak on two things:
  • Why in the seven hell's would you try to compare two lands from DreamWorks Animation's IP's that not everyone in the world will see?
  • Six Flags has NO presence in the state of Florida, so why would you even use "regional" parks compared to the level of quality that's from UPR or DPR..
You didn’t understand my main point in my original post. Please re-read it and then I’ll give you a proper response.

Just a thought...
Not everyone has the money to travel to Singapore (or the upcoming Beijing for that matter). I would love to have a Kung Fu Panda land in Orlando. And I'm sure Universal could do better for How to Train Your Dragon than Motiongate Dubai.

Jurassic Park was already open in Hollywood when IOA opened, and that was the anchor of the new park. So, it's not unusual for parks to have the same rides as other across the nation (or planet).

Keep in mind this article is based on rumors floating around, but one would hope Universal Creative is holding a few cards close to their chest.

And the Ready Player One thing was me trolling; and not at all being serious.

You didn’t understand my main point in my original post. Please re-read it and then I’ll give you a proper response.

"A proper response"?

Not everyone has the pleasure to go around the world, to places like Beijing, Dubai, or Singapore. Not everyone will be able to go to Japan or Europe. You need to think from the eyes of the general public, those who don't have the perspective or ability to always go to places that have what's already done? And who's to say that Universal can't do better than those who have done what was already done (or what they've already done).

Also, Universal has had Jurassic years prior to Islands opening, and Disney had Dinosaurs long before Disney's Animal Kingdom. It's not unusual for similar concepts to be seen at many places, but don't think for a second that it'd be the exact same.

What Alicia posted, was a nice look at some of the rumors flying around, and just because they are possible rumors or spitballs, it doesn't mean they are in any way or manner "concrete" and "definite".

So, allow me to ask you this: Would you care if you were in the General Public, who doesn't obsess over this as much as we do? Because things can be completely different when handled from one to another.

I actually agree with mostly everything you said. Again, that wasn’t the point of my post. You and that other guy Alexander didn’t understand the main point of my original post. I kindly ask that you re-read it.

"A proper response"?

Not everyone has the pleasure to go around the world, to places like Beijing, Dubai, or Singapore. Not everyone will be able to go to Japan or Europe. You need to think from the eyes of the general public, those who don't have the perspective or ability to always go to places that have what's already done? And who's to say that Universal can't do better than those who have done what was already done (or what they've already done).

Also, Universal has had Jurassic years prior to Islands opening, and Disney had Dinosaurs long before Disney's Animal Kingdom. It's not unusual for similar concepts to be seen at many places, but don't think for a second that it'd be the exact same.

What Alicia posted, was a nice look at some of the rumors flying around, and just because they are possible rumors or spitballs, it doesn't mean they are in any way or manner "concrete" and "definite".

So, allow me to ask you this: Would you care if you were in the General Public, who doesn't obsess over this as much as we do? Because things can be completely different when handled from one to another.
I actually agree with everything you said. You still don’t understand what I meant in my original post.

I actually agree with mostly everything you said. Again, that wasn’t the point of my post. You and that other guy Alexander didn’t understand the main point of my original post. I kindly ask that you re-read it.
I get your point. It's hard to get excited by these IPs, and I kind of agree with you. But, I am excited for new rides, regardless of the IPs. Like I always say, I never cared for the character of Spider-Man, but in 1999 that became my favorite ride of all time.

Also, like I said in my last post:
Keep in mind this article is based on rumors floating around, but one would hope Universal Creative is holding a few cards close to their chest.

I actually agree with everything you said. You still don’t understand what I meant in my original post.

I don’t think *you* understand your point.

There is no new IP worth giving a marquee spot in you brand new park.

What “new IP” is worthy of it outside of LOTR, which apparently they couldn’t come to an agreement on

Status
Not open for further replies.