What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

USH Holidays 2017

Finally saw the new holiday castle show last night, after staying as spoiler-free as I could and not watching any of the vids already out there. Basically very impressed!

But more interesting was the surveys they were conducting after the show as we exited Hogsmeade. They asked very detailed questions, and were very genuinely interested in improving the show. They asked about the length of the show, sound and visual quality, viewing areas, and if there was anything else we'd want to see improved. (For the record, we said: louder sound, it was hard to see the high-beam lights behind the castle, and that they should utilize the Tri-Wizard stage as a premium viewing area--possible $5 upcharge for a single show, maybe $20-25 all night.)

They did say that the longer holiday show was a direct result of guests saying the summer show was too short. I do really like how they do try to listen to guest feedback whenever they can. I feel like Disney just says, "Here's our show/attraction. If you don't like it, it's your problem."

My only complaint with the show is that the opening audio could be a little bit louder, I could barely hear the singing from where I was standing! Other than that, this show gave me goosies.IMG_8485.jpg IMG_8473.jpg.

Also, I don't know if this was intentional or not but the faces are really off. They almost looks like dolls.IMG_8482.jpg

I think people are interested. It got a reaction everytime they went off in my viewings. I do wish it could be more, but I totally understand why it probably can't be with the residential restrictions. So I'll take what I can get.

I suppose I do wish that if they were going to set off two sets of fireworks relatively close in timing, they would look a little more different from each other. They seem too similar to me, both in color and directions. But again... begger's can't be choosers.

For that part, I think the intention was to have the characters look like figures in a music box, hence the sort of robotic way in which they move. It is a little jarring, though, as none of the other faces have that style.

That bothered me a bit as well, although what bothered me more is they appear to be giants. They're literally 20 feet tall, even within the context of the show--their bodies go from floor to ceiling. :D

Looking ahead to Grinchmas this weekend: the recent emails to passholders, as well as the USH website itself, does not mention the Whoville show on the Studio Tour. Has this mainstay of USH's Grinchmas celebration been quietly cut this year? Has anyone heard?

(edited to add)
I went back in this thread and saw that ItsATrap posted the following back in August (post #30):
"Auditions are Aug 22. No casting call for the Whoville show on the tram tour. I'm guessing they aren't doing that show this year."

I'm going to be very disappointed if they've cut the tram show. That has been a signature piece of Grinchmas for a long time. I hope they do something. Maybe it will just be the Grinch walking around the Whoville set with a scripted moment like Norman Bates? But the Whoville show has been one of my favorite things about Grinchmas. :(

Last edited:
I haven't heard anything specific, but I rode the studio tour maybe two weeks ago and the ground in and around the Whoville set looked like it had been freshly painted. Not indicative of performers, per se, but if they're touching up the paint, they'll likely be doing something in that area.

Looking ahead to Grinchmas this weekend: the recent emails to passholders, as well as the USH website itself, does not mention the Whoville show on the Studio Tour. Has this mainstay of USH's Grinchmas celebration been quietly cut this year? Has anyone heard?

(edited to add)
I went back in this thread and saw that ItsATrap posted the following back in August (post #30):
"Auditions are Aug 22. No casting call for the Whoville show on the tram tour. I'm guessing they aren't doing that show this year."

I'm going to be very disappointed if they've cut the tram show. That has been a signature piece of Grinchmas for a long time. I hope they do something. Maybe it will just be the Grinch walking around the Whoville set with a scripted moment like Norman Bates? But the Whoville show has been one of my favorite things about Grinchmas. :(

No Whoville show planned on the tour, unfortunately. No idea if they plan to have a Grinch out there.

My buddy has been in that show for the past few years as the Mayor and he said they aren't doing it this year due to budget cuts.

To add more fuel to the fire, I got wind of Grinchmas being decreased of offerings this year before the auditions occurred, but the reason I got isn't something that I'll be discussing yet.

And that is including the previously done tour stop.

My buddy has been in that show for the past few years as the Mayor and he said they aren't doing it this year due to budget cuts.

I think the money went into the Wizarding World holidays, but to be honest, the entire park has been feeling a budget squeeze this year (see black walls of death at Horror Nights).