Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 147 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tragic and sad, it does help me appreciate how UNI appears to be anal about safety features (at least from what I've heard around here, they seem to require multiple checks in their attraction designs, I assume that would carry over to a water park coaster type ride).

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
not as good as some of bioreconstruct's recent closer-ups, but decided to post these anyways since they're from a different vantage point.

as seen from Sapphire Falls parking garage:
IMG_4834.jpg

CBBR East tower looks to be ~6 floors high now, entrance structure not the left as seen in bioreconstruct's twitter images:
IMG_4835.jpg

close up of entrance structure
IMG_4836.jpg

close up of East tower with CBBR parking structure in front and Krakatau behind
IMG_4838.jpg

The current rumours floating about suggest the boy's seat belt came undone, he floated out of his seat and he was decapitated. :(

Very tragic indeed. I love Schlitterbahn, grew up going to the original every summer in New Braunfuls, TX. Its a tragedy to all involved.

Seems this was a 10 y/o on a slide with a 54" height limit and a 14 y/o age limit? Somebody was NOT doing their job.

Don't quote me on this (hahaha) but I believe the age limit restriction was removed from the ride after its first year of operation. Also, from the reports I have read, the boy seems to have met all rider requirements. Initial reports make it sound like a seat belt malfunction.

When Verukt first opened I was always leery of why the ride needed seat belts. Any water slide that needs seat belts isn't designed properly. I can't think of one other water slide that has them...I wonder if this attraction will ever reopen. It has already been reprofiled once.

Reactions: Dan B
Very tragic indeed. I love Schlitterbahn, grew up going to the original every summer in New Braunfuls, TX. Its a tragedy to all involved.

Don't quote me on this (hahaha) but I believe the age limit restriction was removed from the ride after its first year of operation. Also, from the reports I have read, the boy seems to have met all rider requirements. Initial reports make it sound like a seat belt malfunction.

When Verukt first opened I was always leery of why the ride needed seat belts. Any water slide that needs seat belts isn't designed properly. I can't think of one other water slide that has them...I wonder if this attraction will ever reopen. It has already been reprofiled once.

Well I did quote you but I had to. Saw the spokesperson from the park on the news confirming there is a 14 y/o age restriction. Seems it is still in place so you were right to be unsure.

They have removed the ride from their website

EDIT: so now they are reporting that you are correct and they dropped the age requirement so maybe he was tall enough. I hate the state of journalism today. They are in such a rush to hit the news cycle no one checks the facts.

Anyway I am done with this here, it is tragic and no need to discuss it in the VB thread
Back to Volcano bay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel
Does anybody know why the concrete foundations are so high for this one ride compared to the rest?

Good question, maybe they are going to landscape up around those supports as it looks like the lazy/rapids river passes underneath the slide and if you take notice the bottom of the river is already level with the bottom of those supports meaning some form of landscaping is a must for it to be higher than it currently is otherwise the river would simply be concrete walls rather than something that looks like it has been dug into the floor. If that all makes sense :saywhat:.

Good question, maybe they are going to landscape up around those supports as it looks like the lazy/rapids river passes underneath the slide and if you take notice the bottom of the river is already level with the bottom of those supports meaning some form of landscaping is a must for it to be higher than it currently is otherwise the river would simply be concrete walls rather than something that looks like it has been dug into the floor. If that all makes sense :saywhat:.

Totally agree with this. You can see in a tweet earlier back the beginnings of the lazy river winding through these slides and it was already on what's now ground level. Also in an earlier tweet, you can see them starting to add multiple ground levels around the park, building up dirt here and there. I think it'll really add to the volcanic / jungle atmosphere since it'll break up line-of-sites as well as hide these supports and suck. We probably won't even be able to see most exposed slides and supports with landscaping magic!

Last edited:
Today's news said the boy officially died from a neck injury, and the raft was underweight. It's minimum is supposed to be 400 pounds. But it was well under that.

There seems to be a lot more to be added to the blue swoosh based on all the supports towards the bottom of it.

And from bio's other pics, you can tell that the long blue and green slides wrapped in white are the two that are going to drop you in the pool from several feet in the air. Good fun!

Volcano-Bay-Full-Reveal-2.jpg

Makes perfect sense to me.

Reactions: Dan B and Joel
There seems to be a lot more to be added to the blue swoosh based on all the supports towards the bottom of it.

And from bio's other pics, you can tell that the long blue and green slides wrapped in white are the two that are going to drop you in the pool from several feet in the air. Good fun!

I'm 99% sure you are correct, especially if you look at the positioning of the orange slide in the background in relation to the rest of the park from the concept video. Those slides are going to be so fun, the look quite steep in general so super fast turns and then to top it off with a drop into a splash pool is way better than coming to a slowing stop at the bottom of a slide like usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.