Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion | Page 94 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay Construction & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They will have to have a superior lift system to get all those people up to the volcano if they have that much capacity up there?

Either really wide stairs or maybe conveyors and lifts?

I believe it may be a traditional conveyor height and that if you want to fall from the heavens, you will have to do the rest on stairs. That is a combo of fact and guess on my part. I think that would be reasonable.

I believe it may be a traditional conveyor height and that if you want to fall from the heavens, you will have to do the rest on stairs. That is a combo of fact and guess on my part. I think that would be reasonable.
What restricts the height of the conveyor? Wet n Wild had lift systems that brought a raft vertically up.

What restricts the height of the conveyor? Wet n Wild had lift systems that brought a raft vertically up.

I believe there will be a taller conveyor on property for a different attraction. In the volcano, I believe it is only a practical use of money as the "feature height" drop has a very low estimated capacity. If you want it, you are going to have to climb for it. That is my assumption. That said, the original designs did not have the conveyor rising to a "feature height". I hope this is a good answer to your question.

I also don't believe those are drop boxes but rather normal entry pieces propped up on one end. I've circled two areas that would appear to confirm it. The first is the pipe fitting that brings water up to the entry where you sit and the other is what seems to be a partial edge that will match up with the tube.
If you look at photos of ProSlide's skybox they all look pretty identical and just slightly different from the ones on property. It's also hard to tell scale from the photo, but it looks like they're a little short to be drop boxes.
ttN57CH.jpg

I believe there will be a taller conveyor on property for a different attraction. In the volcano, I believe it is only a practical use of money as the "feature height" drop has a very low estimated capacity. If you want it, you are going to have to climb for it. That is my assumption. That said, the original designs did not have the conveyor rising to a "feature height". I hope this is a good answer to your question.
Would this conveyor happen to be for a family raft slide or the hydro magnetic mammoth?

I'm still hoping for a ride up conveyor system for the water coaster. It makes the ride so much more epic! Just like a roller coaster!

Reactions: Macfr3ak
I also don't believe those are drop boxes but rather normal entry pieces propped up on one end. I've circled two areas that would appear to confirm it. The first is the pipe fitting that brings water up to the entry where you sit and the other is what seems to be a partial edge that will match up with the tube.
If you look at photos of ProSlide's skybox they all look pretty identical and just slightly different from the ones on property. It's also hard to tell scale from the photo, but it looks like they're a little short to be drop boxes.
ttN57CH.jpg

Those are not Proslide SkyBOX launch capsules. Those are traditional start sections as seen on the Storm at Wet'n Wild, which would leave those 4 slides as either TurboTWISTER or TWISTER depending on the speed and aggressiveness of the ride profile.

One thing I want a park to try is combining the SkyBOX with the ProBOWL... It is a blue sky concept that Proslide has been pushing to parks, but so far, no one has signed for one.

One thing that make me rather perplexed about Volcano Bay is the fact the featured attraction will be a Hydromagnetic Mammoth. Those are nice and very rare, but will it have a feature like a Tornado or Bowl section to spice things up? Caribbean Bay at Samsung Everland in South Korea built the Mega Storm last year, a HUGE Hydromagnetic Mammoth/Tornado 60 Hybrid slide. Seeing as Florida is flat and Everland had a huge hill to work with, how will Universal make their new slide special?

Mega Storm:

20150619001540_0.jpg

Universal should have maybe tried to get the first FlyerSAUCER/RocketBLAST in North America. The first one was built in Tenerife at Siam Park and it could have been a nice opportunity for Volcano Bay, but a water park in Quebec scooped everyone else. They are building the first one on this side of the ocean and like at Siam Park, will use an existing hill.

Singha, the prototype:

Reactions: USO92 and Macfr3ak
I've never been on a drop box slide before as the dropping bit doesn't phase me but it's usually the big drop after.

If they could create a drop box at a 30 degree angle or something, I think this could attract a lot more people to ride for the experience but not scare them away.

I'm going to give breakaway falls a shot at Aquatica this year though and see how it goes from there.

The purpose of the drop box slides are to be super thrilling. Honestly, for me, the only way for me to do any vertical drop slide IS with the drop box as I cant bring myself to push myself over the edge of the regular ones. I have been on 9 drop box slides, including the tallest and I have to say, the actual dropping is the most intense part as the drop itself generally last a second or two.

So, we believe the "signature" skybox slide is gonna be taller than this?
jefferson_20southwest-20140728-00295.jpg

jefferson_20southwest-20140728-00315.jpg

Reactions: universal_fanatic
The purpose of the drop box slides are to be super thrilling. Honestly, for me, the only way for me to do any vertical drop slide IS with the drop box as I cant bring myself to push myself over the edge of the regular ones. I have been on 9 drop box slides, including the tallest and I have to say, the actual dropping is the most intense part as the drop itself generally last a second or two.

So, we believe the "signature" skybox slide is gonna be taller than this?
jefferson_20southwest-20140728-00295.jpg

jefferson_20southwest-20140728-00315.jpg

Looking at the concept art, I'd say it's possible.

Maybe even taller than this, the tallest body slide in the world. (Skip to a minute)

I don't think that slide looks any where near as intimidating as some of the others because of how wide the slide is.

So not skyboxes after all. Makes sense that if it will just be one dropslide at the top, that it is not on side yet, , since they have a lot of building on the volcano to do still.

@scott_walker: Ihu's is amazing, basically it combines the two greatest thrills, regular drop and probowl, without the awkward exit of the latter. Blue is the best, though orange has a slightly bigger drop, green is the most mellow. Purple does not have the box, but is also great and has a bigger drop closer to the end.

If I remember correctly, Teebin also said the would have a Tornado Wave.

Looking at the concept art, I'd say it's possible.

Maybe even taller than this, the tallest body slide in the world. (Skip to a minute)

I don't think that slide looks any where near as intimidating as some of the others because of how wide the slide is.

That's cheating!!! So the "tallest" slide in the world drops into a ditch to achieve that title??? I wonder how tall it really is.

Well, would that be the longest drop water slide? Just like at one time Magnum XL200 was the tallest coaster but Steel phantom had longest drop on a coaster. I guess the stairs aren't that bad if it were a line but a continuous climb . . . i'd likely die 3 times.

The tallest bodyslide is still Insano at 135 feet off the ground. Kilimanjaro has the biggest drop on a bodyslide at nearly 150 feet. Yes, it's built into the hillside, but that's just a bonus for the builders. Costs less money since they need less stairs, supports, etc.

The tallest waterslide is Verruckt at 168 feet tall. Of course that one is a tube slide/water coaster style ride.

I'd like to see the capsule slide in Volcano Bay take that record!

Reactions: Mad Dog
It's all about the drop, not the platform height. I wouldn't want to climb 150ft worth of stairs. I'm hoping there is some form of elevator inside that volcano.
As someone who hates heights, I too hope for alternative ways up there. If the stairs are built inside of the volcano that'll help.

I still think instead of just the one volcano, they should theme the other slide towers as smaller volcanoes/mountains too. It would look better and give you solid cohesive theming throughout the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.