Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

WDW 50th Celebration

But Universal doesn't really play up their anniversaries in their marketing, and except for a bit of merchandise, basically ignores them. . Disney makes it a centerpiece of their marketing/ad campaigns.
Disney is literally opening a ride on the day of their 50th, Harmonious will likely start next year or possibly even late 2021. They also have GotG, which will be opening during the 50th. And Tron possibly as well.

It's not perfect and sure, i'd love a new night parade or fireworks (although I enjoy HEA just fine so a 50th anniversary tag is fine with me). I know this stuff wasn't originally meant for the 50th, but let's not act like Disney isn't going to be able to have a fairly impressive amount of things to promote as new during the 50th celebration.

Disney is literally opening a ride on the day of their 50th, Harmonious will likely start next year or possibly even late 2021. They also have GotG, which will be opening during the 50th. And Tron possibly as well.

It's not perfect and sure, i'd love a new night parade or fireworks (although I enjoy HEA just fine so a 50th anniversary tag is fine with me). I know this stuff wasn't originally meant for the 50th, but let's not act like Disney isn't going to be able to have a fairly impressive amount of things to promote as new during the 50th celebration.
But that's not what I was referring to. Only that Universal basically ignores their anniversaries while Disney makes them into a major marketing campaign.

But that's not what I was referring to. Only that Universal basically ignores their anniversaries while Disney makes them into a major marketing campaign.
And what exactly is the point there? Anniversaries should be celebrated more at Universal imo. They do it for HHN, so why not the parks/resort as well? A 50th anniversary is not something you ignore.

Nothing new in Magic Kingdom on October 1st, though.

I recognize I have a different view of this than most, but to me, October 1st at Magic Kingdom should be the absolute culmination of an event like the 50th Anniversary, rather than the tepid kick-off. MK is the park that is actually turning 50, and it's the park that should be celebrated on that day with the debut of new nighttime entertainment and the grand opening of its newest E-ticket.

I recognize I have a different view of this than most, but to me, October 1st at Magic Kingdom should be the absolute culmination of an event like the 50th Anniversary, rather than the tepid kick-off. MK is the park that is actually turning 50, and it's the park that should be celebrated on that day with the debut of new nighttime entertainment and the grand opening of its newest E-ticket.
I don't really care about nothing new not being at MK on October 1, although I do wish they would've taken some time over the past year and revived some of their older attractions like Peter Pan, IASW, etc in the same vein as Disneyland has done. That would've at least been something to promote for MK while they wait on Tron. A new or upgraded version of Philharmagic would've been nice. It would be nice to see some of the newer IPs be represented in the show.

And what exactly is the point there? Anniversaries should be celebrated more at Universal imo. They do it for HHN, so why not the parks/resort as well? A 50th anniversary is not something you ignore.
The only point is that Disney celebrates big time while Universal doesn't. I'm not making a value judgement.

I agree, I know COVID messed up the schedule and things but it does feel like Disney is doing the bare minimum.

The only point is that Disney celebrates big time while Universal doesn't. I'm not making a value judgement.
Well yeah, but they are two different companies that take opposite approaches extremely often. This should shock no one. We also know what to expect for Disney anniversaries of late, which is a cupcake and then if we're lucky maybe a new ride or something. Disney has relied fairly heavily on nostalgia for most of their anniversaries this century.

Well yeah, but they are two different companies that take opposite approaches extremely often. This should shock no one. We also know what to expect for Disney anniversaries of late, which is a cupcake and then if we're lucky maybe a new ride or something. Disney has relied fairly heavily on nostalgia for most of their anniversaries this century.
No shock. The norm continues. Disney celebrates theme park anniversaries. Universal generally doesn't.

I'll admit that the nostalgia Universal has hinted at over the last few years is genuinely surprising to me.

I just remember that while Disney is celebrating its 50th and Disneyland's 60th a few years ago, Universal is barely 30.

They've just begun to tap into their nostalgia a bit.

I'll admit that the nostalgia Universal has hinted at over the last few years is genuinely surprising to me.

I just remember that while Disney is celebrating its 50th and Disneyland's 60th a few years ago, Universal is barely 30.

They've just begun to tap into their nostalgia a bit.
I love the 90's T Shirt they came out with last year for both parks

ET...Jaws...King Kong...I grew up on these rides and lovedddd the art even as a kid so gladly bought it and honestly i should buy a second t shirt just in case

Boo Bash coming instead of MNSSHP has me a little hopeful we could be getting some more pomp and circumstance starting in October than what's been announced. The way things are tracking, I think Disney should be fine to return to fireworks and parades for the 50th, but August 10th is a bit more uncertain in Disney's eyes. So they'll do a small Halloween event (earlier than ever), keep it simple to avoid any covid complications, get a bunch of event dates in before the anniversary, and then really push the 50th starting October 1st, without having to work around MNSSHP as much. Doing large Halloween/Christmas events back to back is already a strain - especially on departments like Entertainment, which is just now working to bring displaced CMs back. So Boo Bash could simply be the feasible, no-fuss solution to doing something while they work to recall their workforce and allocate the resources they have to the events coming after, when covid protocols are relaxed and capacity is up: 50th and Christmas. Doing all 3 full out would be difficult fully staffed, let alone now lol. But if Boo Bash is a glorified After Hours event? That could free up entertainment for a parade (or an extended FoF), a stage show, etc. and just in general free up resources to have a larger start for the Anniversary.

They could definitely do a big promo about fireworks coming back if they brought them back on July 4th.

I can only imagine the level of lockdown they'd have to put the resorts on. I wouldn't envy Guest Relations, either, with everyone trying to switch days.

That said, already made MK reservations 7/4 just in case.