Wicked (2024 film) | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

Wicked (2024 film)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
To the unfamiliar, it's just background music for the trailers. They haven't actually showed them noticeably singing in scenes.

Poor misleading marketing
They have shown dancing in multiple locations though. So…

I actually don’t mind the marketing on THIS. The hidden musical-ness of Mean Girls and Color Purple was egregiously misleading because both of those were remakes of non-musical movies/stories that are more well known as non-musicals.

Wicked, conversely is a prequel to immensely well-known musical (The Wizard of Oz) that has only ever been presented (outside of the book) AS a musical. Google “Wicked” and “musical” will not be far behind any search for it. There is a lot more “musical” familiarity with Oz than not.

I am DYING to see Cynthia Erivo singing Defying Gravity. Every trailer where I hear her singing it I desperately hope we finally see it. As a massive fan of the story (and a big fan of the musical) the LACK of seen singing in the trailers is actually making me more MORE excited to see the movie.

At least these trailers actually give us the singing. Mean Girls and Color Purple gave us nothing.

To the unfamiliar, it's just background music for the trailers. They haven't actually showed them noticeably singing in scenes.

Poor misleading marketing
The funny thing is that other studios tried this technique before and it actually worked. Around 16% of opening weekend audiences for Mean Girls went thinking it was just a straight remake and left "disappointed by the genre." That's an extra 4-5m on the opening weekend they might not have gotten if they'd been more honest.

I don't love this IYKYK marketing either because I want to see all the dance breaks and song numbers, but clearly it's worked, so...