Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 152 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
/
zrat3.jpg

Just reposting this here quietly... :lol:

Diagon Alley is going to be a mad house to get through...

Curious that no one wants to discuss this. If this was a WDW project, there would have been 20-40 pages by now.

Okay then, let's get some heated discussions going! (In true OU fashion :lol:)

• Will the Leaky Cauldron be a full service restaurant or will it be similar to Three Broomsticks' counter service?
  • Will even more themed merchandise be created, such as items found in the Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes store?
  • How do you think crowd flow will be as this layout shoves people into a corner of the park with one area for an entrance and exit?
  • Will the storyline of Gringotts is involve/mention Harry as Radcliffe has claimed not to return for more taping?
  • Other than peanut butter and strawberry, what other flavors are mentioned/possible for Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour?
  • Will Butterbeer be served in the exact same style of cart it is in WWOHP or will the design change?
  • What nods to films 5-8 will be present in the expansion?
  • What will the physical entrance to Leaky Cauldron/Diagon Alley be?
  • Will there be a London facade shielding the land's view from the Studios?
  • What structure (if any) will take the place of the lagoon-facing buildings in Amity?
  • Since the midway games in Amity were replaced by temporary ones by Simpsons, what will be their final location?
  • What time will the Gringotts attraction clock in at?
  • It seems that Nathans was the only Amity building not demolished. Will its kitchen become retooled for the Leaky Cauldron?
  • What retail stores from the books are more likely to be realized as actual stores and which will become simple facades?
  • We know that Gringotts will anchor the expansion, but what other shows/attractions will be created for the area? A C-ticket?
  • Would Uni start construction without telling people what it will be? And how long until they confirm what is happening?

I'm too tired to think of any more at the moment.

Last edited:
But yeah, I guess it's just because Universal has a smaller online fanbase.

It's my goal in life to change this.

I don't think it's a matter of people not wanting to discuss it but rather a matter of us pretty much knowing what is going in (in a large-view case).

Fair enough, and I know it's premature, but there are parts of the revealed map that have me flummoxed. Perhaps I'll take a stab at labeling what I think things are.

yeah, funny thing when these plans surfaced, I really felt "well that makes sense" it is basically how I have envisioned the overall layout.

Really? Care to take a stab at placing everything. I'm curious about what certain things may be. Particularly, the street behind Diagon Alley.

My friends forced me to socialize at a bar. I didn't want to, I swear!

But really, look at how many pages the WWOHP thread has! No other thread has reached that length, and you're saying WDW is more popular on here?
Friends? Bar? How dare you!? lol

When I threw in the WDW comment, I meant elsewhere.

--- Update ---

[*]Other than peanut butter and strawberry, what other flavors are mentioned/possible for Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour?

Thumbed through Diagon Alley chapters of the first 3 books yesterday. The only other canon flavour is Chocolate with Raspberry and nuts.

• Will the Leaky Cauldron be a full service restaurant or will it be similar to Three Broomsticks' counter service?

I think it will be counter service
  • Will even more themed merchandise be created, such as items found in the Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes store?
    yup
  • How do you think crowd flow will be as this layout shoves people into a corner of the park with one area for an entrance and exit?
    technically, there are three, Hogwarts express and two alleys to direct people to gringotts
  • Will the storyline of Gringotts is involve/mention Harry as Radcliffe has claimed not to return for more taping?
    IDK
  • Other than peanut butter and strawberry, what other flavors are mentioned/possible for Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour?
    IDK
  • Will Butterbeer be served in the exact same style of cart it is in WWOHP or will the design change?
    Hopefully butterbeer will be served at more locations to make sure you do not have to wait 20 min for a drink
    IDK
    I thought that theme park insider said the entrance would be enclosed, but I may be wrong
    yes
  • What structure (if any) will take the place of the lagoon-facing buildings in Amity?
    IDK
  • Since the midway games in Amity were replaced by temporary ones by Simpsons, what will be their final location?
    I would guess they would be by the simpsons to give the impression of a carnival type setting
  • It seems that Nathans was the only Amity building not demolished. Will its kitchen become retooled for the Leaky Cauldron?
    Maybe but it would sit there for about three years plus would have to survive a major building retheme
  • What retail stores from the books are more likely to be realized as actual stores and which will become simple facades?
    IDK
  • We know that Gringotts will anchor the expansion, but what other shows/attractions will be created for the area? A C-ticket?
    I believe a walk through attraction will be there along with the hogwarts express
  • Would Uni start construction without telling people what it will be? And how long until they confirm what is happening?

I believe they will reveal there plans on june 15th :look:

I'm too tired to think of any more at the moment.

I got a few

Will the gringotts coaster be like what was leaked on TPI?
Will the wizarding world force Universal to make away with the one park ticket for a lower priced park hopper.
Will there be any other expansions or project sparkle type things happen to UOR?

Last edited:
Ok I am going to answer with what I think will happen... pure speculation on my part.

Will the Leaky Cauldron be a full service restaurant or will it be similar to Three Broomsticks' counter service? I think that UO needs a full service HP restaurant. However this would put it right next to Lombard's. I don't see Lombard's going away, but I would like to see dining options expanded at both UO and IOA.
Will even more themed merchandise be created, such as items found in the Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes store? I think this is most deffinately a YES. I think you look at guest spending numbers and you see how people just eat up the HP merchandise. I think UO wants to continue to give a people to come here and spend lots of money.
How do you think crowd flow will be as this layout shoves people into a corner of the park with one area for an entrance and exit? I think if this layout is correct, you will be able to bypass the land by sticking to the boardwalk area, alleviating the need that IOA has for that temporary bridge.
Will the storyline of Gringotts is involve/mention Harry as Radcliffe has claimed not to return for more taping? I think Gringots will focus more on the world of HP and not the fact that HP is there. So I think we "muggles" might have inherited a wizards fortune and that we need to claim it.
Other than peanut butter and strawberry, what other flavors are mentioned/possible for Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour? I would love to see the Every Flavored Beans incorporated into an Ice Cream... would make for a delicious/hilarious eating experience.
Will Butterbeer be served in the exact same style of cart it is in WWOHP or will the design change? I would like to see them change it up. Since we are in London/Diagon Alley Kings Cross I would like to see it served in a more "city esq" way
What nods to films 5-8 will be present in the expansion? I honestly don't know unless Gringots will reference it.
What will the physical entrance to Leaky Cauldron/Diagon Alley be? I think this just might similar to WWOHP as it is right now. I just can't think of a way to do something clever without creating MAJOR bottle necks
Will there be a London facade shielding the land's view from the Studios? I think London will be along the BoardWalk and then you you transition into the HP areas.
What structure (if any) will take the place of the lagoon-facing buildings in Amity? I think all the Lagoon facing area will be classic London facades... Brownstone looking buildings etc
Since the midway games in Amity were replaced by temporary ones by Simpsons, what will be their final location? I want to see them take up permanent residence over at the Simpson's with Simpson's theming
What time will the Gringotts attraction clock in at? As far as attraction length? My guess is that they are going to do the 1 hour queue attraction set up with the ride clocking in at 2 - 3 minutes. It seems this one might physically move faster than FJ and because of that I think we can expect it to be shorter time wise.
It seems that Nathans was the only Amity building not demolished. Will its kitchen become retooled for the Leaky Cauldron? I think it is too soon to say that Nathans will or won't be demolished. It just hasn't been demolished yet, along with a lot of other Amity buildings.
What retail stores from the books are more likely to be realized as actual stores and which will become simple facades? The Weazleys is a big one, then a higher capacity Olivander's
We know that Gringotts will anchor the expansion, but what other shows/attractions will be created for the area? A C-ticket? MORE STREETMOSPHERE! PLEASE! I want Wizards and Witches everywhere, interacting, casting spells, making magic! But I would also love to see a Wizards duel, and of course the Hogwarts Express train from London to Hogsmede.
Would Uni start construction without telling people what it will be? And how long until they confirm what is happening? Universal is going to wait as long as possible before announcing it. Once they announce it people will delay their trips so they can come "when it is is all finished" a perfect example of this is how I personally have delayed my trip to Disneyland until DCA is "finished" I will be going in late summer. I didn't go last year when WOC opened because I wanted to wait until it was all done. Just like when they announced the WWOHP people delayed their trips to Universal. They want to wait as long as possible. construction will be well underway before any announcement is made.

So basically with this expansion were getting two rides, one major food option, and multiple shops. Well at least there is room for expansion.

Here's my guesses. Also Internal Investigations, I live in Ohio, so don't freak out, I'm just a simple industrial engineer taking guesses here. :wave:

• [*]Will the Leaky Cauldron be a full service restaurant or will it be similar to Three Broomsticks' counter service?

I think it will have to be counter service for capacity. Though if they make it big enough I think a full service Harry Potter restaurant is needed.

[*]Will even more themed merchandise be created, such as items found in the Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes store?

I'm willing to be it'll have some new merch, but most of it will carry over from Hogsmead.

[*]How do you think crowd flow will be as this layout shoves people into a corner of the park with one area for an entrance and exit?

Poorly. Just like Hogsmead/Hogwarts. JK can write a book and has a great vision for adapting them to movies, but she's hardly a themed environment designer (yes I know she didn't draw up the plans, but we all know how strict she is when it comes to adapting this to the real world.)

[*]Will the storyline of Gringotts is involve/mention Harry as Radcliffe has claimed not to return for more taping?

In order for it to make sense chronological sense with Hogwarts in IoA it will have to take place during the Tri-Wizards Cup. My guess is Harry & et all will be in Hogwarts/Hogsmead for school/competition, but lots of other characters (Wheasley's, etc) will be around Diagon Alley.

[*]Other than peanut butter and strawberry, what other flavors are mentioned/possible for Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour?

I forget.

[*]Will Butterbeer be served in the exact same style of cart it is in WWOHP or will the design change?

It'll be changed and probably offered at more locations.

[*]What nods to films 5-8 will be present in the expansion?

None, mostly foreshadowing I bet.

[*]What will the physical entrance to Leaky Cauldron/Diagon Alley be?

Famously Rowling wanted Disney to do the whole brick-tapping ceremony to get into the Alley. I imagine that there will be two/three entrances/exits, with one being the "show" entrance, similar to the wand ceremony.

[*]Will there be a London facade shielding the land's view from the Studios?

Yes

[*]What structure (if any) will take the place of the lagoon-facing buildings in Amity?

London.

[*]Since the midway games in Amity were replaced by temporary ones by Simpsons, what will be their final location?

Midway games suck, so hopefully their final location will be in Hell. Also know as Chester & Hester.

[*]What time will the Gringotts attraction clock in at?

The bull**** time given for FJ where they include the queue line or from your butt in/butt out of the seat? I imagine 4-5 minutes.

[*]It seems that Nathans was the only Amity building not demolished. Will its kitchen become retooled for the Leaky Cauldron?

That'd be smart.

[*]What retail stores from the books are more likely to be realized as actual stores and which will become simple facades?

I'm willing to put money on another wand store.

[*]We know that Gringotts will anchor the expansion, but what other shows/attractions will be created for the area? A C-ticket?

Hogwarts Express, expansion for another attraction down the line.

[*]Would Uni start construction without telling people what it will be? And how long until they confirm what is happening?

Remember how long it took Disney to even recognize BLT? Yeah, that. Foundations and infrastructure take a LONG TIME to lay, so I bet they'll announce it once they start vertical construction.

Just my opinion but the Midway Grill will be demolished soon. It was just a hot dog stand! There is not the kinds of kitchen equipment there to support something as big as the Three B's. I assume most here believe that Leaky will at least be on a par with Three B's?

As for full service/counter. I believe that this franchise has proven that full service would never work on a main eatery within an area. Counter service at Three B's has its own wait time problem. Might there be a smaller full service somewhere else in the area? Maybe, but it will be booked until hell freezes over, much like the royal table... if it is special.

My answers in bold.

Answer: Probably similar to Three Broomsticks. Teebin makes a great point. Crowds are crazy.
    Answer: I would expect more plush animals. Pygmy Puffs were a huge success. In the books, Diagon Alley has a few pet stores. Also, Gobstone sets need to be a thing.
    Answer: It's going to be a disaster. Btw, I'm expecting 2 entrances/exits to Kings Cross: one set from Diagon Alley, the other from London/USF.
    Answer: Per WWoHP1, students are at Hogwarts already, so it makes sense that the Trio/students won't be involved. I suspect Griphook will be involved in someway.
    Answer: Chocolate and Raspberry with Nuts is canon. I could also see a mint chocolate chip type flavour with bits of Peppermint Toads. Maybe Pumpkin? Butterbeer?
    Answer: It'll be different, but Butterbeer is a universal wizard brand so it makes sense for some consistency in design.
    Answer: Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes, Knockturn Alley facade, Kings Cross
    Answer: This is the one from the films.
    boroughmarket.jpg
    Must be driving Universal Creative mad, but I'm sure Stuart Craig and them can make something that works.
    Answer: Yes. Aside from Kings Cross, I expect a Big Ben somewhere, maybe the St. Mungos Window, perhaps the cafe from Deathly Hallows Part 1?
    Answer: I would expect a nice, unobtrusive London boardwalk area with nice lighting, seating, and a dedicated viewing area for Cinematic Spectacular.
    Answer: Leave them over there. Suits the amusement park theme of Krustyland.
    Answer: Hopefully a nice 3 to 4 minutes.
    Answer: Teebin makes a good point. It was only a hotdog stand unlike the former Enchanted Oak kitchen.
    Answer: Flourish and Blotts must exist in some physical, explorable form. I don't know what they'll do, but I would would make it look like a bookstore but serve coffee and pastries (like a Barnes and Nobles). I think it will go on the left side of Diagon Alley. As I mentioned earlier, I expect a Magical Menagerie store selling owl, cat, toad plushes, etc. Ollivanders will probably exist and have 2 show rooms. I think it will go on the right side. Weasleys will exist as a real store as well.
    Answer: Flourish and Blotts could possibly do something with the Monster Book of Monsters and Invisible Book of Invisibility. Maybe have a salesman on the street touting the latest broom. Weasley's may get a darkride.
    Answer: Seeing as they've filed the grading permits, that cannot be too far away, and then, after that, they'll want to get started on foundations. Like Phase I, the first vertical contstruction we'll see will probably be Gringotts and perhaps Kings Cross since they have to do the track. I expect an announcement next year.

My answers in bold.

Answer: Seeing as they've filed the grading permits, that cannot be too far away, and then, after that, they'll want to get started on foundations. Like Phase I, the first vertical contstruction we'll see will probably be Gringotts and perhaps Kings Cross since they have to do the track. I expect an announcement next year.

You really expect an announcement in 2013? I am shocked as to how late they have pushed it already. We have the initial ground plans for creeps sake! (btw... I don't recall water management plans back in 2008-09... UC must be creeped that this more esoteric element has been found out. It was just the permits prior... that I recall.)

I happened to notice that there are 200+ people looking at Orlando United right now, and 32 are looking at this thread. I had no idea we got so much traffic. To all lurkers, welcome. Please feel free to jump in and add your 2 cents. The more the merrier. You'll find that we're all pretty nice/cool/welcoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.