Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 626 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I agree on not having AA humans. But what if there is a Voldemort AA?! Though technically he's not human. He's immortal :sneaky:

Us - survive a Voldemort encounter? When Harry won't be there? :lol: Seriously, while I think it'd be cool to see Voldemort, if Harry won't have a presence in the attraction (and apparently he won't), it wouldn't be nearly as exciting without the "hero" defeating the "villain". And I feel like, once again, Voldy would be represented on a musion screen effect basis.

However, I do have to say it sort of sucks that we've had no sight of the villain in either part of the WW. Maybe this will change that, but I'm not counting on it. I think it's a pro and a con, on the one hand the suggestion of Voldemort is scary and you don't know where he could appear. On the other, he's the scariest thing in the world and we never encounter him...

Us - survive a Voldemort encounter? When Harry won't be there? :lol: Seriously, while I think it'd be cool to see Voldemort, if Harry won't have a presence in the attraction (and apparently he won't), it wouldn't be nearly as exciting without the "hero" defeating the "villain". And I feel like, once again, Voldy would be represented on a musion screen effect basis.

However, I do have to say it sort of sucks that we've had no sight of the villain in either part of the WW. Maybe this will change that, but I'm not counting on it. I think it's a pro and a con, on the one hand the suggestion of Voldemort is scary and you don't know where he could appear. On the other, he's the scariest thing in the world and we never encounter him...

I think the humans shouldn't encounter him in a theme park ride thing is dumb. I'm a huge HP fan I realize all of that but they can come up with numerous things. Like we have protection from Dumbledore? I mean it doesn't have to be that complicated you know? But I really do think it's lame if he doesn't get represented somewhere during Phase 2. I really hope it's during Gringotts. We have been told the ride will involve flight and drop tracks basically. I think it would be really cool if we see him(some strings can be pulled as far as us seeing him) for the track to drop or something. Or maybe we get dropped more than once? Maybe also when we encounter the dragon? that would be awesome!

Last edited:
I know it is not the greatest AA but how awesome is it when the Imhotep AA lunges out in the first scene?? You wouldn't get that same effect with a screen.

I think the humans shouldn't encounter him in a theme park ride thing is dumb. I'm a huge HP fan I realize all of that but they can come up with numerous things. Like we have protection from Dumbledore? I mean it doesn't have to be that complicated you know? But I really do think it's scary if he doesn't get represented somewhere during Phase 2. I really hope it's during Gringotts. We have been told the ride will involve flight and drop tracks basically. I think it would be really cool if we see him(some strings can be pulled as far as us seeing him) for the track to drop or something. Or maybe we get dropped more than once? Maybe also when we encounter the dragon? that would be awesome!

I'm actually inclined to agree with you as far as him killing us. That's the whole spiel of rides - would we really be likely to survive a T-Rex attack? Probably not...
But I do want a Voldemort appearance (if there is one) to be cohesive to the story line. I don't just want him to be thrown in to the attraction to make it more exciting - if he's there, there had better be a good reason. Of course, FJ disregards this as well - Hermione's random appearance in the Forbidden Forest doesn't really present a cohesive story line either.
But that's what I'd like, and what I like doesn't matter... It's what J.K. would like, and UC, and WB, and Comcast that matters.

I know it is not the greatest AA but how awesome is it when the Imhotep AA lunges out in the first scene?? You wouldn't get that same effect with a screen.

With a 3D musion effect you could come pretty damn close. And we're not arguing that AAs aren't really neat at times. But for the most part screens are a much more practical solution in a ride system...

I think this topic boils down to the general public as well. I recently rode FJ with a family from Britain and after coming off they couldn't contain their excitement. Not once did they mention a lack of AA's or the quality of the screen/sound.

They were thrilled to have been on it and the same will most likely be applicable for Gringotts.

But Forbidden Joruney does feature a pretty good amount of practical effects even with a large part taking place in the dome screens. You have a pretty impressive dragon and many other animated figures(dementors on Kuka arms, Whomping Willow, Spider movement) that combine with a lot of live set action. Forbidden Journey has a lot of practical scenary and effects and the queue features a really impressive AA for its fluency and size(Sorting Hat)

If we get something on the same level I don't think anyone will complain, but I am also tired of 3D glasses.

I see nothing wrong with having Death Eaters/Voldemort in the dark swoop by via Kuka arm in a scene we are crusing by. That would be cool.

If the rumors are correct, we'll be seeing a really amazing mix of many different kinds of technology. No one was arguing that there wouldn't or shouldn't be practical effects. But I do think the people who are arguing in favor of screens and against human AAs were trying to get the point across that it's more practical, popular, and effective to use screens for that sort of thing. I love AAs - they make classic attractions so much more neat. But it's just not going to be the widespread representation of people in future attractions...

I want everyone to observe the Venn Diagram below:

images

This is one of the approaches engineers or designers might take to a project. These are all areas with which they would want their projects to perform above the threshold. Notice the key point in the center of all 3 circles: Sustainability. When it's your job to come up with a solution to a problem, it's not all the blue sky of "Wouldn't it be so cool if...". You have to design a solution that possible and repeatable. Especially when it's something that's going in a theme park open 365 days a year. Where it is supposed to run for over 12 hours without any maintenance shutdowns.

Now, that's not say that dreaming big isn't frowned upon. You just have to consider all options on the table, those both big and small. One way to do this might be a decision matrix, an example of which is seen below:

RionDecisionMatrix.gif

You lay out all of your possible solutions to your design problem, and all of the relevant specifications of your end results. For Universal, this might include safety, reliability, cost, etc. These all get assigned weights based on how important they are to your end result. You then assign scores for the specifications for each solution. Tallying up these scores help you rank your options and decide where you will take the project.

So it's not a matter of if they have money or the technology being there. It's about how well a design solves the problem at hand.

The Imhotep AA used to be so cool. I don't know what happened...

One if the best Aa's IMO is the wicked witch in the great movie ride, as a kid I thought that was an actress.

Status
Not open for further replies.