Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 236 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and the reason for mentioning being able to see the Dragon crane from Battery Park, by Transformers is because I'm pretty sure you'll be able to see the Dragon clear as day from across the lake over the London facades...

I am not sure if this will hold true, but if the dragon blows real fire, you will certainly be able to see the smoke! Remember JAWS smoke every 20 seconds or so.

Not sure if this is even relevant information, but a friend that works in guest relations told me next week they'd be getting a walk through preview of Diagon Alley.

Yeah maybe Thursday when team members have their little "event" in Hogsmead they will ride the train over to Diagon for the first time...?

Ok, I beat the horse, and now it is truly dead...

Me:
Hello,

I just discovered that you were the maker of the lampposts and benches for the new project at Universal Studios Florida. I was just curious as to the metal these particular items these pieces were cast in; iron, steel, or perhaps aluminum?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
xxxxxxx xxxxxxx

ps: they look great installed!

Reply from The Cast Iron Co:
Hi xxxxxxx
They are in cast iron
Glad you like them

Regards
Gary

Ok, I beat the horse, and now it is truly dead...

Me:

Reply from The Cast Iron Co:
Yesterday morning, I rapped on them with my knuckles, found the foundry mark, and talked to 2 Nassal guys about the lamps. I was told by Nassal that they are cast iron.

And yes you can see the crane like rig for the dragon from battery park.

Wow they're real cast iron? That's expensive to do nowadays. Maybe they figure they will seem more real, plus hold up better in the weather, etc. if they just made the real thing as opposed to some other material. Kind of like how I've heard Disney coats those pieces at the top of the castle in real gold, just because it really holds up better and less maintenance than a gold paint over something else.

I'm so confused. Since they are replicas, doesnt that just mean that the original fixtures were made by the company and these were just molded with the logo? Also, how does their brochure prove that those benches are whats coming to the park?

They are replicas, but of pieces that were installed along the Thames embankment in London in the mid-19th century and were refurbished by Branson Leisure in 2007. The Cast Iron Co. is the maker of the replicas, not the original designer.

you have to be standing on the other side of the seating area, right by the kiosk that sels Dispicable Me merch these days.

I'll try to take a pic next time but I'm pretty sure my iPhone wont do it justice. Believe me, I've seen it. And if that little black crane is where the glass dome that holds the dragon sits, then it should be pretty obvious.

Last edited:
I'm so confused. Since they are replicas, doesnt that just mean that the original fixtures were made by the company and these were just molded with the logo? Also, how does their brochure prove that those benches are whats coming to the park?

Because, if you read my contact with the manufacturer this morning, you will see that I tricked them by asking about the lampposts and benches that had been installed. As Mr. Gary didn't flinch... I believe it is a good bet.

you have to be standing on the other side of the seating area, right by the kiosk that sels Dispicable Me merch these days.

I'll try to take a pic next time but I'm pretty sure my iPhone wont do it justice. Believe me, I've seen it. And if that little black crane is where the glass dome that holds the dragon sits, then it should be pretty obvious.

Excellent, I look forward to both a wide and zoomed shot in as high a res possible. Thanks Ash!

Last edited:
This shot was taken from Battery Park yesterday morning.

1kths.jpg

Reactions: AllAroundOrlando
That second dome looks to be covering the glass rotunda/dome that the dragon breaks out of in the movie. Obviously from the inside it would be all glass, but maybe it's covered for a certain effect? Does anyone know?

This shot was taken from Battery Park yesterday morning.

Whoa... I didn't realize that rear structure on Gringott's would be so visible. Is it going to stay like that? I don't see any indication that a glass dome or anything will be added, and we're pretty much down to the wire. Perhaps it's just there to facilitate the dome seen from inside the queue.

Whoa... I didn't realize that rear structure on Gringott's would be so visible. Is it going to stay like that? I don't see any indication that a glass dome or anything will be added, and we're pretty much down to the wire. Perhaps it's just there to facilitate the dome seen from inside the queue.

I'm guessing it is going to stay that way. Look at FJ, you can see the show building while in the regular queue when you are in the greenhouse area.

Hmm... while most of the view, such as the dome cover doesn't bother me at all... as it looks commonplace industrial, the thought of seeing the dragon from battery park is somewhat of a surprise killer. They do have the option of installing some kind of industrial wall in the middle-top of Florean's and/or LC. Damned dragon. Geeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.