Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 317 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. IN MARTIN WE TRUST.

Really? I know Martin has immense credibility (and rightly so, he's been around for years, and I love his work), but for the last few pages everyone has been trashing OI for its "false report," and they have been called "liars" by numerous others. Now it's suddenly backed by yet another source... and nothing.

You all need to widen your horizons a bit, I think. Take all rumors with a grain of salt as always, but the elitism is a bit much.

Really? I know Martin has immense credibility (and rightly so, he's been around for years, and I love his work), but for the last few pages everyone has been trashing OI for its "false report," and they have been called "liars" by numerous others. Now it's suddenly backed by yet another source... and nothing.

You all need to widen your horizons a bit, I think. Take all rumors with a grain of salt as always, but the elitism is a bit much.

I would rep this if I hadnt literally just done given you rep yesterday. It really sucks that this started as an informative thread for people to speculate, give any information they thought they had, and keep up with Diagon Alley progress but had now turned into a debate/pissing contest over who's right and wrong.

That's one big wing.

From @bioreconstruct:
Bo_jOHQIMAAgt7j.jpg:large

Reactions: Thor
Marni did not back up OI's info, but refuted it. Yes, there were issues. They have been worked out and the sky is not falling, as OI portrayed.

Everyone has said other were/are issues. Only OI is pushing the panic button.

As posted on twitter by Mr Kubersky, return ticket kiosks have been set up between MIB and FF - surely a step in the right direction?

Also, thanks to all for their continued updates.

Quick question, how visible is the dragon from around the park? Attractions magazine posted a video of the wing being moved into place, and the dragon seems to stick out like a sore thumb, but in the description of the video it says that its well hidden.

This is the video I am referring to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8cOna10jdQ

Its visible pretty much everywhere if youre looking for it. But it isnt visible at all in the London waterfront area, which IMO is really where it counts. I dont think it stands out too much at all honestly.

Also heard the first review of HE today...from what I can tell, its a great experience for fans of Harry Potter. However, for those that aren't "into" it, "it's...eh...just a train ride with a show". Hopefully this review is proven wrong, but consider me a little disappointed considering Im not a fan of Harry Potter at all.

Last edited:
Its visible pretty much everywhere if youre looking for it. But it isnt visible at all in the London waterfront area, which IMO is really where it counts. I dont think it stands out too much at all honestly.

Also heard the first review of HE today...from what I can tell, its a great experience for fans of Harry Potter. However, for those that aren't "into" it, "it's...eh...just a train ride with a show". Hopefully this review is proven wrong, but consider me a little disappointed considering Im not a fan of Harry Potter at all.
I would imagine that for non potter fans the bazillion details that are the essence of the HE experience would be lost. The Potter nerds will be weak in the knees.

Good thing it's part of The Potter Experience@URO! Coming Summer 2014!

From what I have seen, Diagon Alley is much, MUCH more Potter-centric than Hogsmeade 2010. Which was amazing then. Potter nerds are gonna blow a nut over this.

Last edited:

If your into the fiction it will be great. If your into the technology it will be great. If your not into either it's a train ride, but the same can be said for all of DA. Olivalders, if your not into the fiction it's boring. Gringotts, not a thrill ride so if your not into the fiction or the technology, boring.

See below.

Marni did not back up OI's info, but refuted it. Yes, there were issues. They have been worked out and the sky is not falling, as OI portrayed.

Everyone has said other were/are issues. Only OI is pushing the panic button.

Yup.

I would rep this if I hadnt literally just done given you rep yesterday. It really sucks that this started as an informative thread for people to speculate, give any information they thought they had, and keep up with Diagon Alley progress but had now turned into a debate/pissing contest over who's right and wrong.

I pass along my info from people I really trust. I look for this info beyond a male member waving contest, I have a vacation coming up and I want to know if I'll get in.

-----

My issue has always been that OI has pulled speculation and brought it up as inside info. Look here to see their soft openings data. Ever since April anyone with info could tell you that 80% chance of soft openings in May is completely wrong. How much do you think their description of HE will be off base, too?

There's bad info out there, instead of spotting it and isolating, people attack everything. I feel OI's track record for Diagon Alley will speak for itself in the end. I don't know how Dan can sleep at night when people post things like this.

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jtsalien
If your into the fiction it will be great. If your into the technology it will be great. If your not into either it's a train ride, but the same can be said for all of DA. Olivalders, if your not into the fiction it's boring. Gringotts, not a thrill ride so if your not into the fiction or the technology, boring.

Im very much into the technology, so I know I'll enjoy it, albeit maybe not for a ton of repeat rides. Just curious, where would you guys say the bulk of enjoyment of Transformers comes from...the fiction or the technology? Or is it something HE is missing altogether?

See below.

Yup.

I pass along my info from people I really trust. I look for this info beyond a male member waving contest, I have a vacation coming up and I want to know if I'll get in.

-----

My issue has always been that OI has pulled speculation and brought it up as inside info. Look here to see their soft openings data. Ever since April anyone with info could tell you that 80% chance of soft openings in May is completely wrong. How much do you think their description of HE will be off base, too?

There's bad info out there, instead of spotting it and isolating, people attack everything. I feel OI's track record for Diagon Alley will speak for itself in the end. I don't know how Dan can sleep at night when people post things like this.

/rant

I don't see how Martin's info refutes what OI said, to be honest. He said they planned for every eventuality depending on how quickly the setbacks can be resolved. I'm sure the phased opening of Gringotts would be the very last resort if the show wasn't up to JKR/WB's standards - that's not a crazy inference to make, at all, and given that OI is primarily a trip planning website, that type of information is worth mentioning... oh, and need I mention that this entire thing is listed (and reinforced) as a RUMOR, despite the intel? Which, again, I can back up. I don't know what their sources are (obviously), but there are problems. There used to be bigger ones that were resolved...

The area was originally targeted to open in May. They may have been working under older intel that said as much when they published those numbers... which again, were mere estimates and presented not as straight fact, even if it came from some sort of inside source.

That Hogwartz Express description? Um, according to Martin himself over on Magic (he can chime in here if he pleases), it's "more or less correct." Upon seeing that confirmation I posted the link to the description on this forum and... everyone ignored it. Your loss, I suppose?

Everyone gets bad info at some point. Literally everyone. Screamscape, BTT, OU, WDWMagic, Miceage, etc. Everyone. And even if it isn't "bad" info (implying it's from a fraudulent source or deliberately false), things are constantly in flux. Many elements of HTF's original Springfield leak never made it to the park - doesn't mean his info was bad, it means things changed. I'm not exactly super close with anyone on this forum and particularly its staff, but there appears to be some sort of odd grudge against Dan (and OI in general). He had his little meltdown over the Cabana Bay press event, yes - but that doesn't condemn him out of hand, and you all seem to be hating on things that bug you rather than at least acknowledge all the things that he does well.

In any a case, this shouldn't be a pissing match. As I said before, just because you have info doesn't mean his info his wrong - even if it's contradictory. Info comes from different sources with varying degrees of awareness and insight into the situation being reported on, and, again, things change, meaning at one point both reports were true. I don't think someone who has put so much time into a site would maliciously report rumors just to mislead people... because that's a super easy way to lose your audience.

Here's an idea: Instead of constantly bashing OI and other websites that publish info that you feel may be incorrect or misleading, how about you politely contact them and talk about it, if you're so inclined? You know, instead of resorting to forum bashing and subtweeting. It's an unpleasant culture, and it's made this forum less enjoyable than when I originally joined. The fact that I'm getting rep points for these posts says something.

Sorry for the rant, let's get back to the topic.

Reactions: Doug A.
Status
Not open for further replies.