Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2 | Page 91 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am really embarrassed that I didn't even notice the difference! I wonder if there is a specific reason they did this. Could trademark infringement be part of it? We will have to see if the theater name goes up on the two corners. It isn't apparent in the concept art.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Change it just enough that they don't need the blessing of the 'owners'.
Or maybe they are exaggerating these architectural elements just to make it read better within a theme park. Wyndham on steroids.

Soooo, the statue in front of the Wyndham in the concept. Have we already discussed that it appears to be a version of Eros in Piccadilly Circus, London? Where is the foreshadowing in that?

Angel_of_Christian_Charity_Eros_Piccadilly_Circus_London_4.jpg

There are some interesting differences between Universal's version of Wyndham theater and the original. The central pediment juts out a lot more, and they have used actual supporting pillars under it, instead of flat pilasters.
It changes the character of the building quite a bit. Not necessarily in a bad way. It's just a tad more grand and over-the-top

Yeah! I noticed that today, too, but only after I looked up a picture of Wyndham's Theater after seeing today's pics from UORBuzz. I think it may be, as you suggested, to be an adaptation on steroids. You can see the same thing happening with King's Cross Station, and Leicester Square / Russell Square Station, where the buildings are quite not exactly replicas, but grand beautified representations, maybe pulling details from other similar structures, too. I'm cool with it since it's a theme park adaptation / recreation / representation, after all. Plus, it looks amazing, so that's a big plus! :thumbs:

Soooo, the statue in front of the Wyndham in the concept. Have we already discussed that it appears to be a version of Eros in Piccadilly Circus, London? Where is the foreshadowing in that?

Indeed, it does look so!

i9HTVSi3ap4BX.PNG

Pretty impressed. How is it possible that this looks more complete then the 7DMT that's been under construction for 3 years longer then this?

The place is looking great....

I just hope after the crane comes down that Universal puts some big trees up to block the view of the Gringotts show building. Seeing it in the shot ruins the illusion. Seeing it in person is way more of a nuisance.

The Hopping Pot is coming to Diagon…

More later this evening :thumbs:

That's going to look so awesome all lit up from below at night.
And as Junorhane pointed out, the concept art seems to show they've 'amped up' the original by making it a two-tier fountain. Water features are always welcome in theme parks. They're so calming.

Forgive my lack of knowledge of the names of the places and buildings from the movies but when looking at the London facade is the building on the right supposed to be the building that expands where the Order of the Phoenix people met up?

Forgive my lack of knowledge of the names of the places and buildings from the movies but when looking at the London facade is the building on the right supposed to be the building that expands where the Order of the Phoenix people met up?

Yep, that's 12 Grimmauld Place. Passed down through generations of the Black Family, it comes into Harry's possession at the beginning of the Half Blood Prince.

I mentioned it the day the original concept art was released.

I should have known that... you are always 10 steps ahead of me.

That's going to look so awesome all lit up from below at night.
And as Junorhane pointed out, the concept art seems to show they've 'amped up' the original by making it a two-tier fountain. Water features are always welcome in theme parks. They're so calming.

The one in London appears to be three tiered... so who knows what the concept art portends. If the concept art is completely accurate, then all we are getting for lampposts on the embankment waterfront are black steel poles. Let us hope that isn't the case.

Pretty impressed. How is it possible that this looks more complete then the 7DMT that's been under construction for 3 years longer then this?

Because unlike popular opinion it actually only started construction October 2011, 3 months before Jaws was shuttered, not years. Apples to Oranges I know, but I feel a moral responsibility to reign in the hyperbole that has seemingly become fact. :lol:

London is looking great! It will really come together once they deal with the spots of purple all over Wyndham and finish the tiles on Leicester. Hope their still aiming to have it done the 23rd for this Harry Potter Event.

Seoooo... I finally got in touch with a certain Peruvian Sparrow regarding the pink color of the decorative elements of Wyndham.
Here is what Mr. Sparrow offered:

My only guess is that those are fiberglass elements and they used the red MEKP as a catalyst. MEKP comes in red and clear. The red tends to make the final product look pinkish.

An example of what Mr Peru is talking about:

0009660_300.jpg

Muy interesante, Teebin... Makes sense that these are not all concrete parts.

I'm gonna follow the progress throughout this week and, if they are indeed hauling ass (even more than usual) to have the London facade as close to done as possible by next weekend, I might just have to attend the HP Celebration or at least pay USF a visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.