The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2 | Page 333 | Inside Universal Forums

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't mean to sound like a stick in the mud, but this statement made me bust out laughing. Domronr who is barely legal waxing poetic about 6 year olds and life experiences is extremely ironic and amusing. I'm in my 30's, have a wonderful wife of almost 8 years, a great son, awesome job, underwater mortgage and 2 car payments, and I still constantly learn something new about life and the human condition every day. I promise you, until you bring a life into this world and are responsible for the well being of a little person you created, you will NOT fully comprehend the meaning of love and sacifice that are central to Harry's story, so under you reasoning, perhaps only parents should be allowed to experience the wand selection? I also promise you that while 4 - 7 year old's don't have the development of a teenager or adult, they most certainly do understand the basic concepts of love, and right and wrong (even if they don't attribute it to good and evil in a classcal or religous context).

I do not mean to belittle your enthusiasm toward HP in the slightest. You grew up reading Harry's trials and tribulations, all the while going through you own. I'm willing to bet he seems like a trusted friend and Hogwart's almost like a second home. I'm sure if you got the chance to be picked, it would fulfill a 12 year dream of yours, as is the whole WWOHP addition. But it's just that- a fulfillment, or ending of a dream. Picking kids to do the wand selection, even kids who haven't read the books, allows new dreams to be created and for their imaginations to be stimulated. To me, creation is more powerful than completion.
Has your son ever been in love? Has your son ever had a life long friendship tested to the point where it was almost destroyed? Has your son ever experienced the death of someone as important as a parent or mentor? Has your son ever faced the classic moral dilemma between doing what is right and what is easy? I have. A child is not mature enough to truly understand the deep significance of these books, period. Most of them haven't even read the books, just seen the movies, and to them, it's just a bunch of neat magic tricks and people dressed in funny clothes.

I'm not even sure what the point of your post was, other than to be condescending towards me. I agreed that children should be the ones primarily chosen, as it's a chance for them to see some cool little effects and get caught up in the whole idea of magic. I'm mature enough to allow someone else to experience it for me. But to say that a 6 year old is capable of appreciating the experience the way a fan who grew up with Harry would is ridiculous. Who do you think the people are going to be who are bawling their eyes out at the idea of finally having a wand choose them? Hint: not the 6 year olds.

Last edited:
giant, haha! thats funny. I should have said only in the beginning of the shop but.... ok I think we should move on haha.

Elle I totally agree with you.
See the whole issue really isnt about age though. Those that grew up with the stories know what the stories mean and they have a different meaning- the books are more than just books, they have spent 10+ years debating, theorizing, making friends, imagining the world. So its not just "oh look a fun wand" its a symbol of the friends and life theyve had.

Last edited:
THANKS SO MUCH Dreamcat and Giant! :rep:
Do you guys have any more info on the actual post/mailing from the Owl Post? costs for things? how much are stamps?

Last edited:
I am extremely discussed that I paid so much to celebrate the birthday of my 3 children at this place. Yes, very nice for a group to wander through with a schedule. Effects and atmosphe of the park might be wonderful but HORRIFIC so far for anyone who paid to be on site and will be there for the Grand Opening with children. I have been planning this trip for a long time and now it is all crumbling down around my ears. This is our first experience with Universal and I am so upset! What my children and I expected for our trip is FAR from what was told to us by Guest Services and UO Hotel Reservations when we booked our vacation to what they said today. My frustration is a combination of what I read on this board but then I called Guest Services to confirm what I was told by them previously and what I read on this board. One thing that doesn't go as we thought would be ok but Everything? That is not acceptable. Sure they might give us park tickets to return at another time but that doesn't pay for the on-site hotel, meal deals, sipper cups, TRAVEL expenses, give my children a legal note to get out of school to return on a date that better suits the park or a promise from my company that I can have vacation time off.

I am upset and actaully angry that what I purchased is up in the air. Hey kids lets just try this out. Skip the big birthday with presents, friends and family. Lets go see if Guest Services was really wrong? We can spend a whole three days getting up at the crack of dawn, waiting in line and hope none of you need to use the bathroom, eat or drink until they finally let us in. Sleep? Well, we have the on-site hotel we can go to when the park gates close but then we loose our place in line and start this over and over again for all of our days at Universal. Ok this is very melodramatic but this is how Universal is making me feel!

I have been mulling over what has been said on this board for a few days. I spoke with Guest Services today at lunch time and I just cannot belive it!!! Not everyone lives just around the corner to come back at a later date. Pretty much we are staying on site but it is a gamble if we get in at all that weekend. I am peeved!! I cannot imagine what to say to my children!

Colleendoll, HUGS! I feel ya. Try to take some deep breaths. You're at a great advantage staying at the on-site resorts. I recommend you double check how early they let on-site hotel guests in, then make your way to IoA 15-30 minutes before that time and line up by the gate. I doubt there will be THAT many people, so you'll be one of the firsts in there, then you use the knowledge from here to help you plan, like make sure to head to Ollivanders first. I personally wanted to rush to FJ first, but thinking it over now I think I wouldn't mind a long wait there because the queue will be a real treat, so I cannot have enough time in there. More HUGS Don't stress yourself too much! Once you're there you'll probably enjoy yourselves so much and forget all about this. Ollivander's stuff is definitelly upsetting, but get there early and there might be a good chance your kids will get it :) Make em wear birthday pins or something haha! Best of luck!

Regarding the whole wand debate of 2010, I just plan on going into the Owlery and buying a Voldemort replica wand. No skin off my back there, lmfao.

Also, is it sad that from the media pictures released by Uni these past two days, that i'm the most excited about seeing Robbie Coltrane there? I'm just such a big fan.

King k, thats awesome to be such a fan but when do you think he will be there? the way you said that is as though he will always be there haha (I know you dont mean that)

The wand people need to chill-ax. At least you know what you are going into, and can lower your expectations.

I also think that people that would want to take this experience away from children are a little scary. I'm glad your all fans, and as fans you should be so excited to see a 10 year old experience this... Did you ever realize that this experience may even get them more interested in the series?

As someone else said this theme park wasn't built for just you, it was built for everyone. What if you were in a group of 25 super fans? Would you all get into fights claiming who was the bigger fan?

Some of you need to learn some humility.

Excited to see the stars got to see the area, and especially to test out FJ!!
I've been ill the last couple of days so have missed some things, have any TMs also tested the ride? Or are the stars the only ones known?

With Ollivanders, I saw a couple of posts about one a couple of people being chosen from each group? Is that from each group of 25 allowed in? I'd like my BF to get a go since he's a real HP fan, but if we only get to take photos of someone else experience it, so be it :)

Any new word about softs?

Think we'll be allowed to take pics inside the FJ queue?

Yeah ive missed a lot too, but too the whole FJ queue and pictures i could see some kind of no photo's thing until grand opening.I do hope not though!

As a parent of a near 1st grader, I would be upset if they chose a 21 year old over a child, so it works both ways. While themeparks are for the young and young at heart, experiences like these are generally meant for children because they genuinely don't distinguish between reality and fantasy at those ages. As a rational adult, you know that the wand selection isn't magic, that the wand isn't actually choosing you. To a child, though, they'll think they are actually making these things happen, and then will spend the rest of the day pertending they're making magic with they're new wand. You will realize this when (And if) you have kids, but there is nothing more fulfilling in life than seeing your child genuinely happy, excited and in wonder of the world; children will get the most out of this experience, thus they should be the focus.

Also, in terms of the story and narrative, while I guess an adult or teen wizzard could go to Olivander's to get a new wand if theirs was damaged, all instances of Olivander's in the books have been new students getting their first wand for school. It makes natural sense that the majority of those picked will be school-aged, especially in the 10-12 age bucket to align w/ Harry's age TSS. Plus, this might also be an old-fashioned edict from Ms. Rowling; most of her charity work is for children's charities and she is notorious for only signing autographs for children.

Listen... my daughter is 18 and has been reading these books (I am not exaggerating....) hundreds of times..... there is no bigger fan. I will be thrilled if she gets picked, and she deserves it!!!!!

Forbidden Journey Queue: Part 1

*** THE GREAT WAND DEBATE ***

PLEASE put an end to this. Universal uses TM previews to see how their creation actually works. Going to the Three Broomsticks, this was most obvious. TMs are the great dress rehearsal, and they were using them to prepare for all kinds of situations. We don't know what the Ollivander's experience will be when June 18th comes around. Perhaps the "Ollivander" will choose 3, or 5, or more wizards? Perhaps they will charge for the experience? We don't know right now, but I know that something will have to change.

*** FORBIDDEN JOURNEY QUEUE: Part 1 ***

Based on last night's discussion of fitting in the test seats, gian4203 gave us a better idea of who can fit and who can't. The seat reminds me of Hulk, as does the OTSR; the test seats have a "red light/green light" system that lets you know if you can ride. For "guests with unusual body dimensions", the light will be red unless you can jam the restraint down into your...well, you get the idea. As a former TM at a popular roller coaster, I was always impressed by the biggun's who would encourage me to ram the harness down while their faces turned purple. You've got to admire commitment.

Myself, I'm a broad-shouldered tall guy, so I'm always a little uncomfortable in these things, but I'm a green-to-go. *Side note: Ever notice, my tall brethren, that you can be skinny as a stick, but if you're 6'4" or higher, you may not fit? Annoying!*

The test seats are situated right next to the gates of Hogwarts, two columns of stone perching the now-famous winged-hogs. At night, the fiber optic effect begins and it's visually appealing -- though a female in my group laughed at the irony that "Forbidden Journey" was spelled out so fabulously in white fiber optics.

This winds up to what is a jaw-dropping sight, especially at night. The rocks, castle, and night sky tower over you and the scale model detail holds up beautifully. Hopefully you won't get run over gawking up at these sights, because the guests behind you will be stampeding to enter the castle in front of you.

*** FORBIDDEN JOURNEY QUEUE: Part 1 ***

Based on last night's discussion of fitting in the test seats, gian4203 gave us a better idea of who can fit and who can't. The seat reminds me of Hulk, as does the OTSR; the test seats have a "red light/green light" system that lets you know if you can ride. For "guests with unusual body dimensions", the light will be red unless you can jam the restraint down into your...well, you get the idea. As a former TM at a popular roller coaster, I was always impressed by the biggun's who would encourage me to ram the harness down while their faces turned purple. You've got to admire commitment.

Myself, I'm a broad-shouldered tall guy, so I'm always a little uncomfortable in these things, but I'm a green-to-go. *Side note: Ever notice, my tall brethren, that you can be skinny as a stick, but if you're 6'4" or higher, you may not fit? Annoying!*

The test seats are situated right next to the gates of Hogwarts, two columns of stone perching the now-famous winged-hogs. At night, the fiber optic effect begins and it's visually appealing -- though a female in my group laughed at the irony that "Forbidden Journey" was spelled out so fabulously in white fiber optics.

This winds up to what is a jaw-dropping sight, especially at night. The rocks, castle, and night sky tower over you and the scale model detail holds up beautifully. Hopefully you won't get run over gawking up at these sights, because the guests behind you will be stampeding to enter the castle in front of you.

I am glad its not going to be as tight as I thought, I still think if you can fit into Dragons or Hulk without using the big boy seats then you will be fine. AND THANK YOU FOR THE REPORTS THERE GREAT!!!

Just to add my 2 cents in. First off, Elle, I think you totally missed the point on tribble's post. Try reading it again. The point there wasn't anything about a 6 year old's depth of understanding. It was rather questioning the depth of understanding of a 21 year old compared to an adult parent. Your response kind of made his point.

I totally understand why people are upset when they thought they would get to experience the wand "choosing" you. It's not really fair to think that one group has more of right to the experience than another group though. I read these books to my son and with my son starting at the age of 6. We went to all the movies together, even as he became a teenager. It is a bond we share. Is my reason for wanting the experience less important than anyone elses? But reality determines the outcome here.

Lets say Universal decides to do it the way we all thought it was going to be done. Everyone lines up and everyone gets a turn. If it takes only 2 minutes a person, only 300-400 people will get to do it per day. More people than that will be rushing back there at rope drop. You could literally be there in line at park opening, stay all day, and not get to do it. There simply isn't any reason to get angry at Universal for changing the format.

The next point is, every single person that has seen any part of the WWOHP has reported back with absolutely glowing reviews. Every one! This is incredible! There is so much to see, and so much to experience and marvel at. I truly think very few will be complaining about it when they actually get to be there. (There will always be a few complainers). Any time that you spend a lot of money for something you worry that you won't get your money's worth, but in this case I think people will feel really good about it. The only thing that I think will possibly be a reason for people to have a negative experience is crowds. I think in the first few months, maybe longer, the crowds could cause a great deal of distress. I know everyone is eager to go and I am impatiently awaiting everyone's reports and reviews, there is no way I am going yet. I want to revel in it. That includes be able to stand and stare without being jostled by crowds. So I am waiting until next year, much as I wish I could go now.

is anyone going to the park today to check if the "world" is open. My guess is no, but Previews have officially ended so you never know.

I would imagine that the employees. MUST know when softs are going to be, because they need to be scheduled for work that day. If Softs are indeed next weekend, we should know very soon.

is anyone going to the park today to check if the "world" is open. My guess is no, but Previews have officially ended so you never know.

I would imagine that the employees. MUST know when softs are going to be, because they need to be scheduled for work that day. If Softs are indeed next weekend, we should know very soon.

Well, employees will definitely be working next weekend. Thats when the package people will be there.

Just one more comment about the wand experience and I'll stop. I wanted to answer a question that got lost in all the discussion. Besides the wand keeper, there are shopkeeper "associates" in the owl post who are there to assist you with your wand purchase. They have a chart of which wand is which, and the criteria for choosing you. They'll ask you some questions and give you the proper wand. During previews, they were working off a sheet of paper, but I assume they'll eventually memorize the chart and it will feel less researched and more natural.

One last point about enjoying the experience whether you're the one chosen or not and I'll shut up about it too. I am a big Star Wars fan. Saw the first (fourth) movie when it first came out at just about the perfect age and grew up with the series. I love to go to Disney during Star Wars weekends. You know what? I've NEVER been chosen to take part in the Jedi Training Academy. I'd love to, but it's an experience that better fits younger, newer fans. I still enjoy watching some youngling go after Darth Vader though, and get a tear in my eye when they look so proud for standing up to him. I've gone to some of the more fan-oriented experiences as well, and I've never been chosen for them either. There are too many fans and not enough hours in the day. I enjoy watching others do it though, and maybe someday when I go I'll get to do a voice character on Clone Wars or play SW Trivia. Who knows? Until then, I can enjoy myself and be just as happy being part of a large GROUP who all love the same series I do.